Question Insurance replacement for TX65CZ950b - replacements offered - opinions please

Roboyto

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My TX65CZ950b has been written off by my insurance company.
They got back to me with the TX65GZ950 as a replacement.. or potential 'upgrades' with the Samsung QE65Q60RA or Samsung QE75Q70RAL Q70 at an additional £10 or £110 respectively.

Firstly, I don't think the Samsung options are even comparable.. not OLED, and from what I can see are actually downgrades with a premium attached. Would you guys agree?

My other issue is, I'm being offered the Panasonic bottom of the range OLED for what was the flagship model when purchased.
I understand the concept of like for like i.e. technology moves on, depreciation etc.. but I can't help feeling the offer is a bit of a urine extraction exercise.
I'm losing the passive 3d capability (big thing for me), and the premium build quality etc on my cz is far superior i.e. better stand, metal remotes, Alcantara cover for the back.

Do I have a case to push back?

Well the gz950 is a better tv other than 3d, picture and spec wise. And it's not that far of the peformance of the Gz2000.

3d and better build is the only thing better than the gz950.

Dont really think the insurance company is being unreasonable myself,but you can try and argue your case.

Last edited:
Hi all,

My TX65CZ950b has been written off by my insurance company.
They got back to me with the TX65GZ950 as a replacement.. or potential 'upgrades' with the Samsung QE65Q60RA or Samsung QE75Q70RAL Q70 at an additional £10 or £110 respectively.

Firstly, I don't think the Samsung options are even comparable.. not OLED, and from what I can see are actually downgrades with a premium attached. Would you guys agree?

My other issue is, I'm being offered the Panasonic bottom of the range OLED for what was the flagship model when purchased.
I understand the concept of like for like i.e. technology moves on, depreciation etc.. but I can't help feeling the offer is a bit of a urine extraction exercise.
I'm losing the passive 3d capability (big thing for me), and the premium build quality etc on my cz is far superior i.e. better stand, metal remotes, Alcantara cover for the back.

Do I have a case to push back?

I personally can't see how those Samsung models are an upgrade but you are taking about a different technology so it's hard to compare. Each has its advantages. However the gz950 is of course more in line being an oled.
Although the 950 is bottom of the range, the 1000 and 1500 are only different from the point of view of design and sound so picture wise they are the same. They won't be prepared to go to the gz2000 because of the price, and it uses a custom professional panel so it's a slightly different class.
Aside from the 3d, I reckon if you took the 950 you would be extremely pleased.

Thanks gents.. Fair comments re the 2000.
Just thinking is it worth arguing for the 1000? At least that has a stand more in keeping with the cz950.

I've spoken with the insurer about the Samsungs.
Turns out the alternatives are just suggestions based on what the suppliers charge them.

Fair play to them, they've offered to let me ping back as many alternatives and they will get quotes off the suppliers.
Right then.. time to get looking!

I've spoken with the insurer about the Samsungs.
Turns out the alternatives are just suggestions based on what the suppliers charge them.

Fair play to them, they've offered to let me ping back as many alternatives and they will get quotes off the suppliers.
Right then.. time to get looking!

sounds like they are being good about it.
i think you need to make the key decision of oled vs lcd. Once done, it’s easier to narrow it down.
so it’s really down to your usage and watching conditions.
there are some very good options in each tech...

I never had an issue with screenburn and the like.. I just made sure it went through the cycles i.e. standby rather than turning off at the mains (do people do this?!), so I'll be looking at OLEDs again.

I've given them the following list of TVs just to see what prices up where, see if there are any upgrade bargains:

Panasonic GZ2000
Panasonic GZ1500
Panasonic GZ1000
Philips OLED 804
Sony Bravia A9G OLED
LG OLED65C9
LG OLED65E9

Tbh I'm not interested in the audio (I have separate gear for this) or the user interface/ apps as I use an Nvidia Shield or virgin box.

Literally all about picture quality, upscaling, motion control, HDR etc standards. I get the feeling the only one that stands out from the 950 is the 2000 in that respect, but is it worth the extra wedge for what mostly seems to be linked to the audio (and probably unique panel).

sounds like they are being good about it.
i think you need to make the key decision of oled vs lcd. Once done, it’s easier to narrow it down.
so it’s really down to your usage and watching conditions.
there are some very good options in each tech...

I never had an issue with screenburn and the like.. I just made sure it went through the cycles i.e. standby rather than turning off at the mains (do people do this?!), so I'll be looking at OLEDs again.

I've given them the following list of TVs just to see what prices up where, see if there are any upgrade bargains:

Panasonic GZ2000
Panasonic GZ1500
Panasonic GZ1000
Philips OLED 804
Sony Bravia A9G OLED
LG OLED65C9
LG OLED65E9

Tbh I'm not interested in the audio (I have separate gear for this) or the user interface/ apps as I use an Nvidia Shield or virgin box.

Literally all about picture quality, upscaling, motion control, HDR etc standards. I get the feeling the only one that stands out from the 950 is the 2000 in that respect, but is it worth the extra wedge for what mostly seems to be linked to the audio (and probably unique panel).

quite a bit of price variance there.
the Sony Ag8 would be more in line with the LG c9 and gz950/1000.
the Sony’s are superb for motion and upscaling but to some extent you are paying for extra sound tech. Same for the LG E9.
id say the 2000 stands out, but is clearly a lot more money, then for pure cinema maybe the other Panasonics, but the differences are small.

Yeah, bit of a spread there.. Reason being there seems to be a bit of a random spread on the prices the supplier of the insurance company.. There might be an upgrade offer that is hard to refuse.

Literally all about picture quality, upscaling, motion control, HDR etc standards.
That being the case, the GZ950 is a appreciable upgrade from your CZ950. i think you'll be particularly impressed by its HDR performance.

It's also worth stating that bar the stands and soundbar, respectively, the GZ1000 and GZ1500 are identical to the GZ950. Same panel, processor and hardware etc. If you're in the UK, you might also struggle to get your hands on the GZ1500, as it's a John Lewis exclusive.

Paul

Thanks for the info Paul. In which case I think it likely I will go worth the 950, but if there is a decent price on the 2000 I could be persuaded to go for that. I think that's unlikely though.

Thanks for the info Paul. In which case I think it likely I will go worth the 950, but if there is a decent price on the 2000 I could be persuaded to go for that. I think that's unlikely though.

both are excellent. Hard to imagine you’d be disappointed with either, esp when you feed it content from 1080p and up...

I've had a Pansasonic GZ950 65 inch since September and you won't be disappointed Iv also got a surround system as well and the GZ950 is very bright in HDR. For the GZ200 your paying for the speakers you will never use, but it's up to you if you think the extra brightness of the GZ200 is worth it

The gz2000 should also have slightly better resistance to screen burn due to the custom cooling etc.

I've read / seen that the 2000 also outputs at +200 nits. I'm also considering getting an ust laser protector in the future that does 3d, so could end up moving the tv to another room where the speakers of the 2000 would get utilised.

I'd be well chuffed with a GZ950 as a replacement for a model that is several years old. You mention your CZ TV is a 3D TV. You could even try your luck and push the 3D angle, that the 3D was a major part of your purchasing decision. I believe that technically if they can't repair it and retain all functionality, or offer you an equivalant replacement - then I think you may even have grounds to push for a full refund.

That's obviously only something worth trying your luck with if you paid more for your TV back then.

Edit: Just realised you mentioned your 'insurance company'. So I take it you probably mean home insurance rather than a warranty offered by a retailer or manufacturer. With that in mind, I'm not sure my suggestion applies.

Hi Wayne,
Yeah I paid way more than the cost of a 950, and a large part of that decision was the 3d element. I may push back, it is frustrating. I'm now looking at getting a laser tv... I'd ideally have the money so I could buy that outright tbh.

I took out insurance specifically for this television, its not home insurance.

Bear in mind the rrp on the cz was £8k.

Last edited:
I've read / seen that the 2000 also outputs at +200 nits. I'm also considering getting an ust laser protector in the future that does 3d, so could end up moving the tv to another room where the speakers of the 2000 would get utilised.

if you mention the 3d as the other lad mentioned (to me having a non 3d set would be like having my colour tv repaired and oply showing black and white pics) they may offer you a depreciated refund allowing for time you have owned the set, so could weight that up v the value of the replacement offered

still dont understand that one manufacturer doesnt put 3d in a premium model to snag the niche market

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom