iOS 14 Show us your home screen

Dr3w

Established Member
Reaction score
Just downloading the latest update and wondered if it was good idea to show home screens with widgets etc?

Had the beta for a while and set up the first page like this and stuck with it for now. At some point i will have a bit of an app icon clearout i think and use the app library for a lot of the apps i dont use that often. I have a second page with some folders on as well, everything is in a folder bar the dock icons. Reckon i could probably get rid of the second page of icons and use the app library.

The widget at the top is a stack containing Calendar, Weather, Siri Suggestions, Reminders, Maps, Batteries, Notes, OneDrive and Shortcuts.

homepage.jpg

There is a chance things may start to change now though as 3rd party widgets start to come out.

This is mine after a quick play, I didn’t want my home screen taken up by widgets, so I just have the one on my main screen, and then a calendar one on my second screen.

I also don’t like having 4/5 folders on my screen, and having to keep tapping in and out of folders every time I need an app, so I left my most used apps out of folders, and use a few folders on my second screen, for apps that I don’t use daily.

So far I’m loving IOS 14. The other little bits like being able to search for emojis in messages, speed improvements on safari, incoming phone calls not taking up the whole screen. Also a buggy notes app for the last 4/5 months has finally been fixed.

There are other things aswell which I can’t remember!
6804134B-D3F4-44B9-BF78-875FB91D62E5.png

Nice and clean - I too don't like multiple apps in folders. I do like the ability to stack the widgets, so far a great update. My XS somehow feels faster!

I've had a slight change in that i've added a new widget called Date Today which has a few options but i've got one of the 4 x 2 options which shows date, battery and a message right at the top moving my other widget stack down.

I've had a slight change in that i've added a new widget called Date Today which has a few options but i've got one of the 4 x 2 options which shows date, battery and a message right at the top moving my other widget stack down.

i want to have the battery one too, it’s a way of displaying the battery life permanently, without having to keep dragging down the top menu to check it. :thumbsup:

Nice and clean - I too don't like multiple apps in folders. I do like the ability to stack the widgets, so far a great update. My XS somehow feels faster!

yeah it has speeded up all devices I think, and safari web browsing, pages just pop up instantly when you tap on links etc.

i want to have the battery one too, it’s a way of displaying the battery life permanently, without having to keep dragging down the top menu to check it. :thumbsup:
I have the battery widget on the stack so i can check the status of my earbuds more than anything else as they report back their battery level. The Date Today widget i've got via TestFlight as its not officially live yet is a handy for just showing the battery level nicely.

IMG_5048[1].PNG

Here’s mine. Not the final layout by any stretch. Just trying to make it look evenly balanced with widgets and app tiles

1D14984F-FE76-420E-8E24-89D16B001C85.png

Here’s mine

Attachments

• 8CB63358-DEA7-462A-937E-E7A219C139A3.png
    8CB63358-DEA7-462A-937E-E7A219C139A3.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 180
I have the battery widget on the stack so i can check the status of my earbuds more than anything else as they report back their battery level. The Date Today widget i've got via TestFlight as its not officially live yet is a handy for just showing the battery level nicely.

View attachment 1367911

I like how it looks with 3 in one widget:smashin:

At the moment, I'll be leaving my screen layout exactly as it was before I upgraded to ios14, as I'm feeling distinctly underwhelmed by the whole ios14/widget thing.

Perhaps my impression will change when developers get on board and more apps are given widget functionality.

Last edited:
I suspect i've used widgets a bit more now they are on the home screen compared to the today view as they are there in front of me so i remember about them. I had the shortcuts one before but i'm using it more as i would normally forget they were on the Today view. Calendar one is a handy quick view in the 2 x 4 view as i have my days activities (or following after a certain point) in one half and a quick view calendar on the other half. The Maps one is handy for quickly checking travel times as it taps into my calendar entries as well. Hoping that BBC Weather or Met Office bring out one that will be more informative than the stock weather one.

Very underwhelming. I don’t need a clock, the time is already displayed. I like to keep my messages in app, and certainly don’t need 3 mails messages constantly on screen, especially pointless when my inbox is empty. I really am struggling to find any use for widgets. I think when the novelty wears off, in about 10 minutes, I’ll probably remove them and make way for quick access to apps I use often. The only saving grace is stacking, which makes them a touch more useful.

Widgets are not as completely pointless as the App Library though. I could, and already did, have my less used apps in folders on the last page. And I could actually organise that in useful way. What that point in the App Library? What does it add? It’s really bizarre, just a crap load of folders. Can anyone please tell me the benefit?

iOS 14 is the most underwhelming update in iPhone history IMO, full of pointless features.

Last edited:
Clean and simple

C059B987-3C0E-4385-B5DC-EF4C80C3D6BD.png

Clean and simple
I've not been the biggest fan of ios14 so far and I've never heard of FotMob, but I'm liking the look of that widget (especially team :thumbsup:) and this layout.

What weather widget is that and how did u change the colour of the fotmob background to red?
It’s just the stick weather widget and the footy widget is red when in light modes then black when in dark mode. It just did it automatically as I think it was black the whole time until yesterday. I think I opened the app and then when I came out it was red. Maybe they updated the app?

It’s just the stick weather widget and the footy widget is red when in light modes then black when in dark mode. It just did it automatically as I think it was black the whole time until yesterday. I think I opened the app and then when I came out it was red. Maybe they updated the app?
Has it gone red due to the team you have selected? Red would make sense for Liverpool. I've got it added as well but for Chesterfield in the National League and its just white for day mode and black for night mode.

Has it gone red due to the team you have selected? Red would make sense for Liverpool. I've got it added as well but for Chesterfield in the National League and its just white for day mode and black for night mode.
It seems to be dependant on the team at the top of your favourites list. I've added 2 teams, Liverpool and Rangers, if I drag Rangers to the top of the list, the widget is blue, if Liverpool at the top it is red.

Very odd as mine is just black. And does not change.

Attachments

• DC43E9E6-7F41-4432-BF97-60806A63B2AD.png
    DC43E9E6-7F41-4432-BF97-60806A63B2AD.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 110
Very odd as mine is just black. And does not change.
Have you tied flicking between day and night mode? I am pretty sure mine was black then it just changed to red after opening the app.

I'm not 100% sure the widget\app\updating is working quite right. I have Chesterfield, my team, and Sunderland, the wifes team, on the app as favourites. Chesterfield was the top on and it showed the widget in white for day more then black for night mode. I then went into the app, moved Sunderland to the top of the favourites list. I was expecting it to then show Sunderland on the widget in either white or red but it actually left Chesterfield showing in the widget and changed the colour of it in day mode to Blue, which is their main shirt colour, and also updated to a blue background in the app as well.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom