iPhone 11 or 12 ?

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will partially answer my own question for me in that I don’t really see the need for 5G in my case. Having said that my iPhone XS Max 256gb is great and the 11 is too close to the XS to not make much difference to me in terms of day to day use. Internet, the odd game etc but only the odd YouTube stream and that works fine. The odd photo with the very competent in phone camera but as a amateur photographer I use a decent camera most of the time.
So yes I could just stick with the XS for the foreseeable future but I like the idea of new toys. For me it’s get an 11 Max Pro when new and used prices drop or go for a 12 and hope 5G won’t become a rip off when it gets popular. Even though like many it will be overkill ?

Nobody debating with themselves over next model to get. The 11 didnt do it for me as not much of annimprovement over the X but I would be tempted once the prices drop, especially used ones. The 12 has 5G but plenty I talk to would get it but have no idea what they would do with the rapid data speeds even if the operators started to charge a preminum for it, which I suspect they will. Sky still charge to provide HD for heavens sake. So 5G will be a cash register to them and others on mobile

I've just moved from an XS max to an 11 pro max - for no other reason than the better camera and the wide angle lens. And it certainly seems to be an impressive camera upgrade over the XS.
I also have no interest in 5G and the extortionate prices that you will be charged for the privilege of using it, so the 11 pro max will be a keeper for the next 2 or 3 years.

Last edited:
I’m astonished at how good cameras are in phones. I have 4 cameras from a high end full frame to a travel camera but still find my XS Max takes perfectly good shots if that’s all I have. Mmm, tempted by the 11 Max Pro.

I have a Sony Alpha 6300, it never gets used because the photos from the iPhone are so good.

I used to panic if I forgot my camera. Now I don’t ;)

I do a lot of macro shots so my Olympus camera still get used a fair bit

Last edited:
I'd just wait for the iPhone 12 now, no point buying an 11 this late in the cycle.
While it might cost a bit more you'll get a longer support and better features, even the small CPU/Camera upgrades do a make difference. The 11 Pro camera is insane and I'm curious what the 12 Pro will bring.

Kind of agree. If I can’t find an 11 Pro Max at a good price I’ll wait for the 12. 5g is of zero interest to me now or in the future so I’m not too bothered. But as I say a 12 would be preferred if I can’t find that 11

After ten years on android I'll be swapping to the iPhone this year. Will he waiting for the 12max. Looks like November now though 😒

Due to be 4 models this year, iPhone 12 (non pro) will feature a Max model, both rumoured to have OLED screens too.

960x0.jpg

frc-dafe172468382bb5671b32843409cec5.jpg

I’ve got iPhone XS Max 256gb and I’m thinking about going for the iPhone 12 Pro. I like the bigger screen I have on the Max so I would need to go with the pro for that reason.
I’m on the THREE network and get good signal most places I go. With Three I got 4G free with my contract and rumour has it that they will be offering 5G for free within their price plans. But we’ll see nearer the time.
I agree about iPhone camera. I am no professional photographer but to my eyes, the photos on my iPhone XS Max are stunning quality, EXCEPT if I use zoom then quality seems to deteriorate. But non zoom are excellent. Having said that even using zoom the photos using XS Max are bettered than older iPhone models.
I would be interested to know what camera apps others use? I use Camera+. I use this mainly because the built in Apple Camera app takes smaller size photos. I like landscape photos which fill the whole screen. From what I can tell the built in iOS Camera app has black bands on the left and right of the photo when taken in landscape which I find annoying. Unless there is a setting within the Camera app, but I’ve never found it.

It’s always nice to hear other people’s thoughts.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom