iPhone 12: £1300+ and yet no EarPods or charger

USB C as a standard, no.

Chinese wall warts. Different ball game.

Had one pop myself, from a well known ‘mid range’ brand (⚓️). Capacitors blew the plastic carcass open, hot smokey internals spewed all over the floor. I’m certain had I not been around/this been a carpeted floor it would have gone up. We’ll never know.
Im not sure why it being lighting prevents it being a Chinese knockoff? It's known there are copies on the market

Moreover, we're ignoring the main point that if Apple were to use USB C, you could use.the same cable for all. Your iPad. MacBook (which come with an Apple OEM usb c). Camera. Bluetooth speaker. Smartwatch charger. Portable powerblock. Keyboard. Mouse.

Apple carrying on with lightning is primarily around.ths healthy profit they can continue to draw from the licensing.

Apple cables in general. The previous iPad Air was fast charged by USB-C to Lightning and no worries about not being around when charging.

As Vini states, not all cables are made equal and my point stands, I prefer to pay the extra for the peace of mind.
So if you already get a cable and charger (or entire charger and cable) with your iPad, macbook and whole host of trusted other sources, you'd still need to buy a Chinese knockoff for your iPhone? Weird logic

I don’t find the cables a concern. They’re generally just varying grades/quality of metal capable of conducting.

I find the 3 pronged things controlling and regulating the power, the risk.

I don’t find the cables a concern. They’re generally just varying grades/quality of metal capable of conducting.

I find the 3 pronged things controlling and regulating the power, the risk.
I wasn't discussing the charging block, I was taking.issue with the refusal to embrace USB C on the phone.

Surely though, if there are these safety concerns, surely the responsible thing for apple to do would be to include a trustworthy and safe plug?

So if you already get a cable and charger (or entire charger and cable) with your iPad, macbook and whole host of trusted other sources, you'd still need to buy a Chinese knockoff for your iPhone? Weird logic

You've completely lost me, sagaris99.

You've completely lost me, sagaris99.
You clearly misunderstood my original post.

I took issue with the apparent refusal to embrace USB C on the iPhone, which is clearly primarily down to the proprietary control and license revenue that Apple get.

You replied to me citing you preferred to.buy and use Apple branded cables in light of the safety concerns. Perfectly valid, but nothing to do with USB C adoption really?

@Cheshire Cat

Where is the price increase?

iPhone 11 Pro Max 256gb at release in 2019 cost £1299 (includes power adapter and EarPods)

iPhone 12 Pro Max 256gb at release in 2020 costs £1199, power adapter £19, lightning EarPods £19.
Total cost £1237

Pretty sure that’s a price decrease of £62
Thanks Tim, but that’s the exception that proves the rule. Let’s get real:
64gb:
iPhone 11: £729 at release incl. adapter and cable
iPhone 12: £837 at release incl. adapter and cable.
That’s an increase of nearly 15%.

128gb:
iPhone 11: £779 at release incl. adapter and cable
iPhone 12: £887 at release incl adapter and cable
That’s an increase of nearly 14%.

Etc etc. I doubt that the people who made or who will buy these phones have seen their wages increase by these amounts this year.

64gb:

128gb:

Etc etc. I doubt that the people who made or who will buy these phones have seen their wages increase by these amounts this year.

Did it take you all day to go and hunt down the figures? Sorry I didn’t look into it in depth (I just compared what I paid last year to the cost this year for the same model)

If you really want to get real.

If people are still using crappy lightning EarPods, let them pay for them rather than making the rest of us that don’t use them pay to leave them in the box unused

If people can’t afford the new iPhone because their wage hasn’t risen inline with with having to pay an extra £19 for a charger for a phone costing hundreds, maybe they should stick with their old phone and not upgrade.

However, the models you are talking about have seen the biggest tech increase from last year, with them now being much closer to the pro models with the upgrade to OLED, and that ain’t free. If they’d have stayed with LCD screens and kept the price low, I expect people would have just moaned about that too.

The pro models have all (as far as I’m aware, I can’t be arsed to look into it that deeply) had a price reduction in real terms with a lower start price and increase in capacity for the money.

Oh, and the name is Vince, it’s right there in the sig.

What he said.

If you’re that annoyed by something. Do something about it.

Go buy a Nokia.

64gb:

128gb:

Dude you forgot to mention that the iphone 12 has an OLED screen whereas the iphone 11 has a LCD screen - that alone will jack the prices up. A better comparison would be the iphone 11 pro v iphone 12 pro so let's look at that shall we?

iphone 11 pro with 64gb storage + charger cable + adaptor = £1049
iphone 12 pro with 128gb storage with no charger cable + no adaptor = £999

Now it doesn't take a genius to work out which is the better value...

<patiently waits to be told that the difference between a 64gb chip and 128gb chip is only 49p :rotfl: >

@Cheshire Cat disagreement is fine, but getting a fellow forum member's name wrong is unnecessary and petty. Many thanks

Did it take you all day to go and hunt down the figures? Sorry I didn’t look into it in depth (I just compared what I paid last year to the cost this year for the same model)

Your use of sarcasm to deflect from my point is rather unhelpful. But if you want to use figures to dispute my point then you should at least look into them more closely. Oh, and it took me less than a minute.

If you really want to get real.

If people are still using crappy lightning EarPods, let them pay for them rather than making the rest of us that don’t use them pay to leave them in the box unused
If people can’t afford the new iPhone because their wage hasn’t risen inline with with having to pay an extra £19 for a charger for a phone costing hundreds, maybe they should stick with their old phone and not upgrade.

I find this statement breathtaking in a financial climate where millions of people are struggling to make ends meet and are losing their jobs. Plus you haven't addressed my point, which is that there is a £100+ and double digit % price increase on the standard iPhone model. You also probably haven't noticed Apple's sneaky, significant hike in the cost of repairing an iPhone 12 (up to 40% more to repair than the iPhone 11).

However, the models you are talking about have seen the biggest tech increase from last year, with them now being much closer to the pro models with the upgrade to OLED, and that ain’t free. If they’d have stayed with LCD screens and kept the price low, I expect people would have just moaned about that too.

It's Apple's job to keep its products up to date and let's face it, all Apple is doing with the iPhone 12 is playing catch up with its competitors and giving us the phone the iPhone 11 should have been. Maybe next year it will finally lose the notch and add £100 to the price in the process?

The pro models have all (as far as I’m aware, I can’t be arsed to look into it that deeply) had a price reduction in real terms with a lower start price and increase in capacity for the money.

If that is the case, fair point for that iteration of the iPhone 12.

Oh, and the name is Vince, it’s right there in the sig.

Fair point, please accept my apologies.

To conclude, i have bought Apple products for years and in our household we have numerousApple devices between the 3 of us. But I'm getting tired of Apple's lack of genuine innovation, its woke hypocrisy and underhand methods, its blatant fleecing of its loyal customers, and its attempts to justify rampant profiteering and cost cutting on the grounds that it is environmentally friendly.

Your use of sarcasm to deflect from my point is rather unhelpful. But if you want to use figures to dispute my point then you should at least look into them more closely. Oh, and it took me less than a minute.

So was your attempt to paint me as a shill for Apple by calling me Tim, may want to take a look in the mirror.

I find this statement breathtaking in a financial climate where millions of people are struggling to make ends meet and are losing their jobs. Plus you haven't addressed my point, which is that there is a £100+ and double digit % price increase on the standard iPhone model. You also probably haven't noticed Apple's sneaky, significant hike in the cost of repairing an iPhone 12 (up to 40% more to repair than the iPhone 11).

You may not like me being so direct in my opinion, but it doesn’t change the fact that it’s the truth.
If paying £19 for a plug is going to change whether something non essential is affordable, then people need to ask themselves if it’s right to upgrade.

I absolutely did address your point about the price increase, both that and the repair increase will also be down to the OLED screen. Nothing to do with apple being sneaky.

It's Apple's job to keep its products up to date and let's face it, all Apple is doing with the iPhone 12 is playing catch up with its competitors and giving us the phone the iPhone 11 should have been. Maybe next year it will finally lose the notch and add £100 to the price in the process?

If you don’t think it’s good enough, vote with your wallet, no one is being forced to pay Apple anything!

If that is the case, fair point for that iteration of the iPhone 12.
If you want to dispute my figures you should at least look into them more closely ;)

Fair point, please accept my apologies.

To conclude, i have bought Apple products for years and in our household we have numerousApple devices between the 3 of us. But I'm getting tired of Apple's lack of genuine innovation, its woke hypocrisy and underhand methods, its blatant fleecing of its loyal customers, and its attempts to justify rampant profiteering and cost cutting on the grounds that it is environmentally friendly.

So have I, and the minute I don’t feel that they are offering value for my money, or moving in a direction I appreciate, I will take my money elsewhere. I suggest you do the same.

It’s not woke hypocrisy, Apple have pushed the environmentally friendly status of their products for years, it is nothing new.
They aren’t being underhand, they are perfectly open about their pricing, their offering, and the fact that as a business they are there to sell a product and make money.
If you’re worried about profiteering of tech companies, I think it may be time to give up buying new phones from any company as you’ll pretty much be giving money to either Apple or Google.

Last edited:
Just tidying the loft... this is exactly why Apple removing EarPods/charger/cable is a non issue.

7 old product boxes. 6 have brand new, untouched chargers and cables.
C78288DA-CD3D-4688-892F-7BFD2AC61518.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom