Irrational Pleasure thread part 2

Funny to think now a decent modern BB connection (say 144 Mbps for argument's sake) is downloading ten* of those per second. Imagine them stacking up on your desk at the rate of ten* a second while spending an hour downloading a modern game.

*alright, 12.5

I'll take them off your hands if you are just going to bin them!

Not sure it's worth the aggro! I've got quite a few and a few Cd's as well!

vo67ZeA.png

Not sure it's worth the aggro! I've got quite a few and a few Cd's as well!

vo67ZeA.png
You're probably right. Never mind. I was thinking about the pentium2 with built in floppy drive in my garage. I'm 'still' thinking of modernising but keeping it all working. Don't have any disks though. But actually, will probably never use it anyway.

E9005D31-B1F7-4D34-AA52-52A5153796ED.jpeg

...better than expected lockdown hotel grub at Heathrow.

...and then getting to fly a freighter service to Miami tomorrow! :smashin:

...almost feels like normal service has resumed, with packed stations and tubes...

5C015892-0EAD-41B8-8B99-DF573A2F5B40.jpeg
62B3B41B-C2A7-4B30-9395-626C9075EA60.jpeg

...oh, wait!.....:blush::(

How sensitive are the smoke detectors?

Neighbours complimenting me on losing weight (1.5 stone in 18 months). It’s nice for people to notice.

I thought you were looking smaller, except your big toe which is massive :D

Surely you can’t be serious! 😁

As for yesterday - it was a a touch eerie flying an ‘empty’ aircraft around at 40,000ft.

Of course, it wasn’t really empty - the holds were full, and the overhead lockers are stuffed full of mail sacks. So the pictures below are deceiving.....

2F8E9364-7986-4188-8E41-428D4C1340A3.jpeg
6EBD793E-97FC-490C-AF7A-EF93941E03FC.jpeg

I can’t tell you how much freight, or what that freight was, we were carrying, as that’s commercially sensitive, but a quick ’back of a fag packet’ calculation meant the operation will certainly help to stem the haemorrhaging of money from the company for a little while - it won’t get us back in the black by any stretch, but it all helps.

...and since this is the irrational pleasure thread....

415D917F-F2F6-46C8-8726-A121FBB546B8.jpeg

...I still love this view - and at the moment am just happy to see it again!

As for yesterday - it was a a touch eerie flying an ‘empty’ aircraft around at 40,000ft.

Of course, it wasn’t really empty - the holds were full, and the overhead lockers are stuffed full of mail sacks. So the pictures below are deceiving.....

View attachment 1305138View attachment 1305139

I can’t tell you how much freight, or what that freight was, we were carrying, as that’s commercially sensitive, but a quick ’back of a fag packet’ calculation meant the operation will certainly help to stem the haemorrhaging of money from the company for a little while - it won’t get us back in the black by any stretch, but it all helps.

View attachment 1305145

I was advised that on one day last week or week before, BA flew only 200 passengers globally in the whole day. Insane.

I was advised that on one day last week or week before, BA flew only 200 passengers globally in the whole day. Insane.
I don’t have any figures to back that up, but seems quite possible. T5 was deserted - I only saw maybe 8 or 9 passengers there. In normal times, you’re having to force your way through the melee to get to the aircraft!

I believe the domestic operation is restarting in June - with a much reduced schedule, and some European flights - I don’t know if LongHaul is going to startup again at the same time (I don’t think it is); I think the 14 day quarantine (I never thought I’d say this, but I actually agree with Michael O’Leary on this) has screwed us, and is unworkable!

July looks a little better, but as rosters get published in a couple of weeks or so, we all know they’re a work of fiction, and what we’ll actually be doing won’t bear any resemblance to the initial plan.

I don’t have any figures to back that up, but seems quite possible. T5 was deserted - I only saw maybe 8 or 9 passengers there. In normal times, you’re having to force your way through the melee to get to the aircraft!

I believe the domestic operation is restarting in June - with a much reduced schedule, and some European flights - I don’t know if LongHaul is going to startup again at the same time (I don’t think it is); I think the 14 day quarantine (I never thought I’d say this, but I actually agree with Michael O’Leary on this) has screwed us, and is unworkable!

July looks a little better, but as rosters get published in a couple of weeks or so, we all know they’re a work of fiction, and what we’ll actually be doing won’t bear any resemblance to the initial plan.

Having missed out on my USA holiday last year due to losing my job, then missing out this year (by 12 hours and 15 mins) due to Covid. I am hoping my luck changes and I can get there in September 2021!

Having missed out on my USA holiday last year due to losing my job, then missing out this year (by 12 hours and 15 mins) due to Covid. I am hoping my luck changes and I can get there in September 2021!

I shall cross my fingers for you. Hopefully, by 2021, we’ll be remembering this as just some bad dream and normality will have started to return - I do hope so anyway!

Maybe not an irrational pleasure but it looks like some of us will have the option to work from home after things sort out.

I shall cross my fingers for you. Hopefully, by 2021, we’ll be remembering this as just some bad dream and normality will have started to return - I do hope so anyway!
For longer haul, it's going to be about 5 years' before demand returns to 2019 levels. That's what the seniors are advising us (industry connected).

The firms serving narrow body will be recovering slightly faster though, which makes sense.

Apparently business aviation and private jets have not seen much tail-off at all.

Sounds about right.
Budgets for health, education and police will most likely lag behind that.

For longer haul, it's going to be about 5 years' before demand returns to 2019 levels. That's what the seniors are advising us (industry connected).

The firms serving narrow body will be recovering slightly faster though, which makes sense.

Apparently business aviation and private jets have not seen much tail-off at all.

That‘s certainly the sword our managers are holding over our heads at the moment - but I honestly can’t see it taking quite that long. Even in my most pessimistic mind, I’d say 2023 to get back to where we were - but everyone I speak to (an admittedly tiny sample of friends and neighbours) have said they can’t wait to get back to travelling normally - and at least a couple of these people are regular First Class LongHaul travellers (for their own businesses). But while the doom and gloom mongers (and yes, I agree we’re rapidly entering/already in a pretty crap recession - the only way out is to get business up and running again - much of which relies on international air travel - not everything can be done on Zoom!

Much depends on the government’s next moves to get Britain working again (though we‘re still far from out of the woods with CV-19 yet) - they’re not doing very well TBH in introducing the 14 day quarantine - it’ll put Britain at a massive commercial disadvantage in comparison to countries that don’t have this restriction. IMO.

View attachment 1305138View attachment 1305139

View attachment 1305145

I love that view too! Also like to see Rolls Royce engines on the plane, just gives that feeling of great British craftsmanship.

nice ride out in the strong winds...

1590343681153.png

Something that should be done in the U.K. - but in Miami, all public transport is free during the CV-19 pandemic. :smashin:

Would have helped massively with getting Key workers to/from work - I suspect it’s a bit late now.

Something that should be done in the U.K. - but in Miami, all public transport is free during the CV-19 pandemic. :smashin:

Would have helped massively with getting Key workers to/from work - I suspect it’s a bit late now.

Not sure but I think the buses were free in London, for a while anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom