Irrational Pleasure thread part 2

You flash me to move left when I'm already at or above the speed limit, I'm slowing down as much as I can and staying put as long as possible.

If you're not overtaking and not as far left on the motorway/ dual carriageway as you can be, then despite you wanting to police speeders, you're in line for a fine yourself ;)

If you're not overtaking and not as far left on the motorway/ dual carriageway as you can be, then despite you wanting to police speeders, you're in line for a fine yourself ;)
Of course. I'm talking about when I am in the fast lane overtaking the other two lanes but somebody decides they should be allowed to overtake me. Usually it's Vauxhall Insignia drivers that flash.

It's the absolute cheek of it tbh. If I'm already doing 80, and already overtaking 2 lanes of slower traffic, you have no right to overtake me. To flash and to order me to move over because you want to go even faster is outrageous as far as I'm concerned. I'll.drop myself back to 70ish (remember, the actual speed limit) and creep past the other cars in the middle lane. As long as I'm going faster than them I'm safe and in the right.

Edited just to add, it's not about playing a game and it's not about policing speeding. If I feel the traffic behind is going faster than I want to, I'll move over. It's the ****s that feel they have the right to flash me.

Last edited:
Of course. I'm talking about when I am in the fast lane overtaking the other two lanes but somebody decides they should be allowed to overtake me. Usually it's Vauxhall Insignia drivers that flash.

It's the absolute cheek of it tbh. If I'm already doing 80, and already overtaking 2 lanes of slower traffic, you have no right to overtake me. To flash and to order me to move over because you want to go even faster is outrageous as far as I'm concerned. I'll.drop myself back to 70ish (remember, the actual speed limit) and creep past the other cars in the middle lane. As long as I'm going faster than them I'm safe and in the right.
Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a fast lane on a nsl motorway, all lanes are 70mph, (unless a smart motorway with variable speed limits), I and many other drivers are quite happy to drive at that speed in lane 1 or the inside lane, which ever you choose.

But I do agree with you, driving at above the nsl while overtaking and someone either tailgates or flashes you is annoying to put it very politely.

That said, to slow down is just stupid though, also dangerous as the chances are you don't know what is behind the car or why they want to pass in such a hurry.

Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a fast lane on a nsl motorway, all lanes are 70mph, (unless a smart motorway with variable speed limits), I and many other drivers are quite happy to drive at that speed in lane 1 or the inside lane, which ever you choose.

But I do agree with you, driving at above the nsl while overtaking and someone either tailgates or flashes you is annoying to put it very politely.

That said, to slow down is just stupid though, also dangerous as the chances are you don't know what is behind the car or why they want to pass in such a hurry.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about slamming my brakes on here. It's a gradual thing.

Also, yes I do understand all lanes are 70 but fast cars so move to the 'fast' lane.

I'm generally a safe driver I feel, I rarely go above 80 but this is my one 'thing'

In fairness you are effectively playing a game though

personally if it happens to me I carry on as I already was as if the car behind wasn’t there and just move in as I had planned

if Lightning McQueen begins me wants to get all bent out of shape and bust a blood vessel that’s his/her problem

I guessed you didn't mean you slam on your brakes, but slowing down should be continue at your current speed then pull over when safe and let the following car overtake, saves a lot of hassle and frayed tempers in the long run.

Most of my mileage is m/w and at the end of the day I want to get home in one piece and as calm as I can be, that way I'm alot more attentive to what's going on around me than if I'm angry.

I had one just before lockdown, southbound on m6 in lane 3 overtaking. Car in distance long way behind me, second glance in rear view matter of seconds later and car is much closer. Very soon after that I have a Q3 right on my back bumper, woman driving and on the phone!!!!!

I just carried on overtaking a large run of traffic as I was. Can see her getting wound up, pulled in as planned and she fires past gesticulating at me as she passed. Remember shes on her mobile too so right now she has no hands on the steering wheel

sad part was the car seat with small child in the back too, nowt like putting your own kids life in danger is there!

In fairness you are effectively playing a game though

personally if it happens to me I carry on as I already was as if the car behind wasn’t there and just move in as I had planned

if Lightning McQueen begins me wants to get all bent out of shape and bust a blood vessel that’s his/her problem

he sounds like a wannabe policeman controlling what speed people drive.. :(

he sounds like a wannabe policeman controlling what speed people drive.. :(
Are you even reading what I'm posting? I don't care how fast you go, just don't think you have the right to fudgeing flash me because I'm not going as fast as you want.

If I'm only going 65 or the middle lane is empty... Fine. Otherwise, no way.

I'd like to hear why the person who would flash me thinks it's acceptable to do so?

It’s just so much more relaxing driving on the Autobahn. Need to punch it to 100MPH to complete the overtake quicker? No problem.

Roads empty? Weather good? Nice, cruise at 130MPH.

Are you even reading what I'm posting? I don't care how fast you go, just don't think you have the right to fudgeing flash me because I'm not going as fast as you want.

If I'm only going 65 or the middle lane is empty... Fine. Otherwise, no way.

I'd like to hear why the person who would flash me thinks it's acceptable to do so?
Because it says so in the Highway Code 🤔

And if you read it properly you see I did that when the car was able to move over. No point giving a visual signal when there is nowhere to go ;)

It’s just so much more relaxing driving on the Autobahn. Need to punch it to 100MPH to complete the overtake quicker? No problem.

And people do move over when there is a visual signal. Often it’s done well in advance as when you are going at 155mph you need to give a bit of a warning.

And people do move over when there is a visual signal. Often it’s done well in advance as when you are going at 155mph you need to give a bit of a warning.

I think that in the UK a flash of your lights is seen as two things. At low speed, it normally means ‘come on mate, you’ve been waiting at that junction for ages, I’ll help you by letting you out’. At high speed it’s seen as ‘I’M VERY ANGRY!’.
On the autobahn a flash of the lights is used correctly, it just calmly says ‘I’m here’. Popping your indicator on in the outside lane when behind a car means (again calmly) ‘just in case you can’t see me, I want to get past’.

I think that in the UK a flash of your lights is seen as two things. At low speed, it normally means ‘come on mate, you’ve been waiting at that junction for ages, I’ll help you by letting you out’. At high speed it’s seen as ‘I’M VERY ANGRY!’.
On the autobahn a flash of the lights is used correctly, it just calmly says ‘I’m here’. Popping your indicator on in the outside lane when behind a car means (again calmly) ‘just in case you can’t see me, I want to get past’.
Agreed, some people seems seriously worked up about that. Including @Freestyler8 Yet as per the Highway Code a visual or audible signal is recommended.

But yes, the flash is clear a “hey I am here”, and followed by come on dude use your mirrors you should have seen me coming ages ago and just move over so we can all drive frictionless and not cause traffic jams. But nope, people like @Freestyler8 decide not only to not move over when they had a chance, but even when alerted to prevent a situation to then actively block the road and make the situation even worse. I really don’t understand that mentality. How hard is it to smoothly go across lanes? It’s better for the environment as well.

Agreed, some people seems seriously worked up about that. Including @Freestyler8 Yet as per the Highway Code a visual or audible signal is recommended.

But yes, the flash is clear a “hey I am here”, and followed by come on dude use your mirrors you should have seen me coming ages ago and just move over so we can all drive frictionless and not cause traffic jams. But nope, people like @Freestyler8 decide not only to not move over when they had a chance, but even when alerted to prevent a situation to then actively block the road and make the situation even worse. I really don’t understand that mentality. How hard is it to smoothly go across lanes? It’s better for the environment as well.
I think we've all seen examples of this, usually when an emergency vehicle is using blue lights and sirens and people still don't see them but carry on in their own sweet way totally fixated on the road in front of them. I've also seen to many drivers driving with their wing mirrors folded in, WHY:facepalm:

Agreed.

If you're doing 70/80/90 in the outside lane and someone is going faster, you move over and let them go. Hindering progress is stupid if deliberate, also probably worth three points or more.

Sure if you're stuck behind a lorry or someone slower or passing a very long stream of traffic before you can move in (whether that's 500 yards or 5 miles), then you maintain your speed until you can move in - don't feel bullied into going faster for someone else's benefit, that's daft.

But don't slow down either. Because one day it'll be winding up the wrong person.

I remember seeing a new Merc being a tosser to someone who would get out of the way flashing lights and horn and all sorts right up it's backside. Hideous behaviour.

I saw an opportunity to bypass both with a pass on the inside and the Merc went ballistic. I was most pleased with myself.

Until it followed me. At great speed. I had a relatively quick car and managed to ditch the Merc until some lights.

I was 23. The guy hopped out of his car and was about 6' 6" and 18st. He tried to smash my driver's window. Fight or flight. I chose flight. Jumped three sets of red lights while the man mountain ran back to his car. One jump was in front of the police as well, and nobody pulled me over. I had a clear as day arm and hand print on my glass but funnily enough chose not to pursue it. I lived in Liverpool and dude was probably a dealer. Sod that.

So let my anecdote be a lesson in not being a knob. It'll get you one day!

Just swapped out the 10 year old failing shower unit for a newer model. Easy peasy, all the connections were in the same location :thumbsup:

Shame that the shower rail is 2" shorter though.

I used to have a 120 mile commute and a not powerful car but I used to get wound by stupid and/or dangerous driving to the point where my reaction was at times incredibly petty. I was talking to a mate of mine who's a HGV driver and his response was essentially "why waste your energy, move out of their way and you'll keep yourself safe. The only way they'll stop is if they crash or get pulled over, why get in the way of that" and honestly, that has had an incredibly profound effect. I can still get frustrated at times (particularly when I've got the kids in the car) but I do now make a point of easing away and letting them crack on. I keep safe and I keep the kids safe which is the most important thing.

Is it! :laugh: we were in Germany over summer and found it really stressful! Admittedly, the more you're on it you soon get used to the mentality. I find driving on motorways in mainland Europe far better than the UK anyway. Somehow, with fewer lanes, traffic seems to flow far more efficiently...

Is it! :laugh: we were in Germany over summer and found it really stressful! Admittedly, the more you're on it you soon get used to the mentality. I find driving on motorways in mainland Europe far better than the UK anyway. Somehow, with fewer lanes, traffic seems to flow far more efficiently...

When I moved to Germany in 2001, I managed to drive for about 20 miles on the wrong side of the road, only realising when I woke my wife to point out the maniac driving at me on my side of the road by screaming like a little girl :rotfl:

On my first Autobahn trip, I was in 1.6l Vauxhall Astra, thinking I was a proper rude-boy because I was legally driving at 100mph, loving life. I then saw a lunatic flashing his lights behind me and I remember thinking 'What's his problem?'.

Turns out his 'problem' was that when you're doing about 160mph in a Porsche and some knob from the UK is in your lane at 100mph, you catch up quite quickly :rotfl:

After being flashed out of the way a couple more times, my lane discipline was sorted right out and remains good to this day :)

Returning to the UK after 4 years of living in Germany made me hate both the UK roads and the standard of driving we see regularly (by the minority of drivers it must be said).

When I moved to Germany in 2001, I managed to drive for about 20 miles on the wrong side of the road, only realising when I woke my wife to point out the maniac driving at me on my side of the road by screaming like a little girl :rotfl:

On my first Autobahn trip, I was in 1.6l Vauxhall Astra, thinking I was a proper rude-boy because I was legally driving at 100mph, loving life. I then saw a lunatic flashing his lights behind me and I remember thinking 'What's his problem?'.

Turns out his 'problem' was that when you're doing about 160mph in a Porsche and some knob from the UK is in your lane at 100mph, you catch up quite quickly :rotfl:

After being flashed out of the way a couple more times, my lane discipline was sorted right out and remains good to this day :)

Returning to the UK after 4 years of living in Germany made me hate both the UK roads and the standard of driving we see regularly (by the minority of drivers it must be said).

Yeah, nothing like cruising at 110MPH and then whoosh!!! A 911 roars past at about 160MPH. :laugh:

Just back from our first meal out since lockdown. Eight of us went out to celebrate one of our nephew‘s birthday. Deep fried battered mushrooms for starters followed by Fillet Steak and chips, was also nice to have a few pints of Draught beer/lager. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom