Is god having a laugh?

spocktra

Prominent Member
Reaction score
A couple of things to contemplate as you get older.If the bible is to be believed and god created man,then why would he take hair off your head and scatter it all over your body[ears,nose,back,chest.Why does this benefit anyone?.Why does he think that as you get older you wont need such good eyesight or hearing(well perhaps the second one is useful when the wife is asking when you are going to decorate the spare room).Is he up ther having a giggle or is everything for a reason. :confused:

Someone told me that up to 100 years ago not many people lived past 50, therefore no one had the chance to loose hair.

Given this, it seems that humans have surpassed Gods expectations. Does that mean we're better than God ?

Think it was more like 35 but then again depending on where you live it might also be true today.

Attachments

• sad pic.jpg
    sad pic.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 177
common said:

We, as a planet, must do something, It does not matter how much faith you have in any GOD it does not look like he/she is going to do anything about needless suffering anytime soon :(

According to the Bible, people were living for hundreds of years in the times of Abraham/Jacob etc.

Mat

Thing is we probably could or rather western society could but it would likely involve,

going to war (although we have embroiled ourselves in other conflicts for more morally dubious reasons)

changing western lifestyle habits , although I''m sure there are enough resources to ensure everyone has a decent standard of living I'd be concerned abou the effect on the enviroment if every single country was industrialised to the extent of those in the west and we'd likely have to consider population controls. ( although this is not necessarily a bad thing)

More nuclear power , although I'm of the opinion that we have to face facts and accept this . Other power sources are not necessarily cleaner its just that we don't have to store the severla billion tonnes of carbon emmisions we've dumped into the atmosphere for the past 100 years.

Then you get into arguments about globalisation and whether or not its a good thing , new imperialism blah de blah .... not all that interesting when you have to watch your kids starve to death though.

When you live in the west its easy to assume that we have a civilised enlightened planet that fits in with our idea of the 21st century ...until you see some places where the people live in conditions that would be regarded as less than ideal 20000 years ago. Makes a mockery of so called modern society. I hope people a thousand years from now regard us as barbaric.

common said:

That was nice of the chap to take a photo of it eh? Why didn't he help out the kid?

Mr.D said:
More nuclear power , although I'm of the opinion that we have to face facts and accept this . Other power sources are not necessarily cleaner its just that we don't have to store the severla billion tonnes of carbon emmisions we've dumped into the atmosphere for the past 100 years.

I sort of agree but a chap I went to university with and a man far smarter than myself was at pains to stress that our Uranium reserves aren't exactly rosy either.

Faced with the bad news, the photo's like that one below, it is all to easy to just give up and sink into apathy. There is the school of thought however than mankind only achieves anything worthwhile when as a species we are up against it. Only when compelled by necessity do we ever achieve our best. I suspect that things have to get worse before they get better.

Games Guru said:
That was nice of the chap to take a photo of it eh? Why didn't he help out the kid?

Because it was just one of about 2 million people starving in the same desert that day. :(

We were not designed to live past the age of about 40 at the most. This is why at this age presbyopia (inability to see objects close up) sets in and women start to pass their child bearing age. We have cheated death and disease with science, but perhaps our downfall will be the fact that there are simply too many of us. There are not enough resources on the planet to bring every human up to the wests standard of living, FACT. Most in the West live in a totally artificial enviroment, where the most important things to worry about are the latest piece of hifi or pair of shoes. People claiming that not having big enough breasts ruins their whole life! Seeing pictures like the one above shows us that we need something proper to worry about.

Good idea :)

That would be a bit of a bargain me thinks :)

Games Guru said:

As harsh and disturbing as the photo is, if the photographer had not recorded this image we would not have seen it. Nor would we be discussing it. For that I thank him and wonder what else he took photos of - and what he chose to not record.

Seeing pictures like the one above shows us that we need something proper to worry about.
We already have. That photo and the innocent in it. Problem is we all have lives, problems, etc, that get in the way. I know this sounds like a cop out, but you can only do your best, hence on this website and elsewhere you can donate to charties to help.

IMO we should be a bit more like the policy is on star trek, ie don't interfere at all. The west gives africa billions per year in aid and loans, but also loads in arms as well.

If we didn't do either, they would probably be in a better shape than they are now. But then again africa has been raped for several hundred years by the west, so its a bit tricky.

They don't really help themselves either, I know kids are innocent, but if you are living in a country where drought happens at the drop of a hat and can last years, you don't have 15 to 20 kids do you?

I can't even afford one child, and wouldnt consider it until i knew it were financially viable.

you don't have 15 to 20 kids do you?
You do for that very reason. Bigger the family, greater the chance of at least some surviving. Not to mention more hands means less work................ Same rules that applied here not so very long ago.

Blimey,was supposed to be a fun thread really.Could have done without seeing that pic,ignorant i know but still.

Contraception also has a lot to do with it
Better be careful here as the C word comes into this problem. They have contraception, but for economic, cultural, and religious reasons it's not used as well as it could be.

deanym said:
Contraception also has a lot to do with it, there is little conception (pardon the pun) of birth control so if they had the choice to reduce the number of children, they probably would, well at least to level that there still plenty of man power to help around.

Most of Africa knows all about contraception these days - AIDS has been a big wake-up call in even the most remote villages.

However male ego, controlling African politicians and the Catholic Church are the ones making contraception such a hard sell. :(

Edit: Beaten to the punch by Overkill. :lesson:

spocktra said:
A couple of things to contemplate as you get older.If the bible is to be believed and god created man,then why would he take hair off your head and scatter it all over your body[ears,nose,back,chest.Why does this benefit anyone?.
Have you ever shaved off all your hair? Do you know how disturbing it feels? Hair insulates the body and keeps a layer of warm air trapped. If you shave your marbles it feels rather odd and nasty because there is no room for breathing. To experiment, I suggest you shave your ass hair off.

http://www.martinek.us/humor/shaving.html

Why does he think that as you get older you wont need such good eyesight or hearing(well perhaps the second one is useful when the wife is asking when you are going to decorate the spare room).Is he up ther having a giggle or is everything for a reason. :confused:
Quit staring at monitors and blasting music and you will not see that happen.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom