Is it worth connecting Wii to flagship Qled and how?

P-P-S-S

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My Wii has been gathering dust for a while and finally I've given in to nostalgia and want to connect it and play on it again. However I have now got a Qled (see sig) which does not have any scart or analogue connections. It only has HDMI. Is it worth connecting the Wii to it and what method/adapter is best please?

PS: Considering I also have a PS1 and PS2 I thought to ask if there is a particular TV (32"-40") that is considered best for retro gaming?

Daughter has cheap and cheerful Toshiba brandied Vestal 32" smart TV bought new a couple of weeks ago. It still has component and VGA inputs on the back and a 720p panel! Should be perfect for retro gaming and it was less than £160 from Currys.

RCA to HDMI, GANA 1080P AV to HDMI Video Converter Mini RCA Composite CVBS Adapter Supporting PAL/NTSC with USB Charge Cable for PC Laptop Xbox PS4 PS3 TV STB VHS VCR Camera DVD Amazon product ASIN B01MU6KHKB
something like this?
If you read reviews / questions it might give you a heads up on whether it works or not. If not it’s amazon so easily returned if no good

This is another option that is very popular:
Amazon product ASIN B01M09SEBT
Most of these adapters simply convert to hdmi, so you get 576i, 480i or 480p depending on what you select on the wii, and then the TV up-scales.
The main issue I've found is that the build quality of these is poor, so it's a lottery to get a good one. I bought one off ebay and although it gives a good picture, it causes diagonal wavy interference lines, which is annoying. Can anyone recommend a brand of these adaptors that works well?

After reading a ton of reviews I bought the Portholic HDMI adapter:
Amazon product ASIN B0753CZ8MC
I'm very impressed, it works flawlessly for me, no more wavy interference lines that the cheaper HDMI adapters can give.

I also bought one of those HDMI adaptors for my Wii in the past and it worked very well.

I chose 480p and it really wasn't too bad at all. Didn't really improve the picture as claimed, but it at least made my games playable on the OLED TV.

I'd recommend @CoolNeo's recommendation!:smashin:

If you’ve got young kids I’d recommend getting some Skylanders stuff. The game and figures are really cool, and a fraction of the cost they were originally.

I also bought one of those HDMI adaptors for my Wii in the past and it worked very well.

I chose 480p and it really wasn't too bad at all. Didn't really improve the picture as claimed, but it at least made my games playable on the OLED TV.

I'd recommend @CoolNeo's recommendation!:smashin:
Thanks very much, yes I found 480p the best mode too, and yes I too found that Wii games don't look great on a large modern TV, but they are fun from a nostalgia prospective.
Oh and I've tried playing Wii games on a Wii U by using it's build in Virtual Wii emulation. Although the Wii U outputs in 1080p, it's still upscaling the Wii games too, and IMHO they looked the same as from a Wii using the Portholic adapter. I suppose it comes down to how good your TV upscaling is.

Last edited:
After reading a ton of reviews I bought the Portholic HDMI adapter:
Amazon product ASIN B0753CZ8MC
I'm very impressed, it works flawlessly for me, no more wavy interference lines that the cheaper HDMI adapters can give.
Have you tried any of the Virtual console games on it?

The one I read reviews for the Wii2hdmi linked earlier wouldn't play them.

Have you tried any of the Virtual console games on it?

The one I read reviews for the Wii2hdmi linked earlier wouldn't play them.
Sorry not tried virtual console games.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom