JamesP1701

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm using the following b and w system:

683 (series 2)
Htm 62 centre (series 1)
ds3 rears.

I'm using an Anthem 510 amp and a BK 400 SUB.

For action scenes it all sounds wonderful (listening via Bitstream at -26/25) but I've noticed the odd crackling/clipping effect when there is a sudden vocal shout or scream. Irs never on any other effects, only on the odd vocal. I can also hear this through headphones when they're plugged in.

I'm really trying to find out whether this is the nature of the disc or if it's a problem with the system.

Thanks in advance.

James

Does not sound like the system if can hear on headphones too. Your avr would not be described as underpowered for your speakers.

That's good to know. Thank you. Any thoughts what it might be?

How would I know if my system were underpowered?

James

Is the clipping across all Source devices?

Do any of the Source devices have a headphone socket where you could 'monitor' ahead of the preamp stage of the AVR?

Joe

Hi there, I've tried the blu ray movies where I notice it on both my Xbox One and the Blu ray player and get the same effect on both. I don't believe the devices do have a headphone socket.

If a 'Google' on the discs doesn't show up any similar problems you may contemplate there being a problem with the preamp stage of the AVR!

Joe

That's useful to know, thank you. What kind of problem might this be?

Also, if it were a problem at the preamp stage, would that be audible on the headphones that I've plugged in to the amp?

Yes - the fact you hear it at the Headphone socket indicates it is not related to the power (speaker) amplification

Are you sending PCM or Bitstream from the Source to the AVR?

Joe

Is this something that could have happened during the ARC stage? It still happens when I turn ARC off.

Try setting the BD Player to PCM - do you still have the problem?

Joe

PS ARC - shouldn't have anything relevant hear, I'm assuming your not connecting the Sources to the TV?

Interestingly I noticed the effect on Star wars A New Hope just as the death star blew up (although I think that's a disc problem as I heard it on my other TV too). I did change to PCM and it did seem quieter.

No, all sources straight to amp.

On that: if I use PCM and have the BD player decode, am I getting worse sound quality?

You don't lose any quality having the Player decode the audio - that's how BD was intended to be played back as otherwise if you Output Bitstream you lose the ability of the Player to 'mix' in any supplementary audio tracks the disc may offer.

Joe

Thank you. Also, Ive hooked a different player directly up to my TV (so bypassing the amp enriely) and tried a couple of the discs. The same effect happens (admittedly the TV isn't exactly great for sound anyway but it does lead me to conclude that it's on the discs that the problem lies.

It's odd-its almost like only occurs on one particular frequency.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom