Is the old advice to turn off all enhancement features with new TVs still valid?

mcarans

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have recently purchased an LG 55UM7400 TV. I have set it up as per suggestions on rtings here for a similar model. These are typical of the kind of settings that TV reviewers suggest - ie. choose cinema (or ISF Expert) mode and turn off all enhancement options.

However, I came across this comment on a post on a subreddit where the commenter says: "I will say this “HDR Effect” is not a gimmick, it is the real deal, it actually works well in what it adds to non HDR content. I didn’t believe it myself but it took the folks over at AVSForums.com to convince me that you have to see it."

I also came across this [Techradar article](https://www.techradar.com/uk/how-to/how-to-set-up-your-tv-for-the-perfect-picture) which says:

"Presets are there for a reason. Conspiracy theorists will tell you that most image presets on your TV actually ruin the image, and that the only way to get a great picture is to for you to do it yourself or pay a third party contractor to come and set your telly up for you. This is, of course, nonsense. The engineers responsible for the screen you have just bought want you to have a great viewing experience without having to get your hands dirty."

This made me wonder if the age old advice to basically turn off all the enhancement features of TVs is still valid today given advancements in algorithms and technology and the need to upscale most content to match the resolution and colour range of new panels. What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom