Is there really any reason to upgrade?

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 'budget' system consists of an optoma hd200x projector, sony bdp 470 bluray player, kef 2005.2 to 7.1 and the old onkyo 605.

The first two bits of kit are recent purchases but I've had the 605 for over 3 years now. What I'm wondering is is there any reason to upgrade the onkyo 605 given the rest of the kit I've got? If so, what would the improvement be and what should I be looking at? Budget would probably be around £200 so clearly would end up with end of line efforts I guess. Advice and opinions would be gratefully received.:smashin:

My 'budget' system consists of an optoma hd200x projector, sony bdp 470 bluray player, kef 2005.2 to 7.1 and the old onkyo 605.

The first two bits of kit are recent purchases but I've had the 605 for over 3 years now. What I'm wondering is is there any reason to upgrade the onkyo 605 given the rest of the kit I've got? If so, what would the improvement be and what should I be looking at? Budget would probably be around £200 so clearly would end up with end of line efforts I guess. Advice and opinions would be gratefully received.:smashin:

The only downside I can see to your amp is that it only has 2 HDMI Inputs. If this is enough for your needs then I do not see any reason to upgrade just yet.

IMO upgrading to a new amp will see little to no improvements to your system regarding sound quality. The speakers will be holding it back.

I think it will better to keep what you have for the time being and upgrade the speakers and Amp together at a later date when you have a larger budget

Considering that you have a projector I would be looking at the KEF Q Series :thumbsup:

Cheers - I'm a bit hamstrung speakers wise as 'er indoors insists on discrete speakers. I toyed with upgrading the centre speaker and maybe the sub but again, I'm under pain of death if I get anything obtrusive so looked at a 3005se centre - struggling to find one in out of fashion silver though. The other thing is young family means I can't go mad with the volume like the good old days:( Getting old really is a drag!

HDMI wise, I only have the bluray player and sky hd to think about at the moment so that's not an issue just yet.

Appreciate your time cooperman.

£200 will not get you an amp (even end of line) that is better than your current one. Infact most around that price will actually be a downgrade.
As above save up some more until you can get a proper upgrade.
Also bigger speakers or more expensive speakers is not about more volume but better quality. This will give better sound balance and clarity which will actually give improvements when listening at low volumes (probably more gains here compared to the extra volume).

Unfortunately there is really no substitute for larger speakers if you want the good old sound you yearn for!
I'm thinking that you seem to be making all the compromises to please everyone else in your house.
Maybe agreeing to meet somewhere in the middle would be a step in the right direction.

Unfortunately there is really no substitute for larger speakers if you want the good old sound you yearn for!
I'm thinking that you seem to be making all the compromises to please everyone else in your house.
Maybe agreeing to meet somewhere in the middle would be a step in the right direction.

You're thinking right. I'd like better sound of course but if at all possible I'd quite like to stay as compact as possible and of course I have to consider the kids paying the gear undue attention - the subtler it looks the better!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom