Question Is WF65 shotgun cable ok for VM?

osmononame

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in the process of building a self build and want to future proof it for Sky Q and VM at the TV points where they may be required in the future.

For Sky Q it's simple enough as you only need 1 run from the dish to the TV and the mini boxes through ethernet.

For VM I need a coax run to each potential TV point - can I use WF65 shotgun cable (which I have a roll of) or should I use WF100 (which I would need to buy)?

The runs would be as follows if possible:

VM coming in to garage and terminated there - into 2 way splitter - Superhub stays there (long story but for the network to work it needs to) - the other port on splitter run into the house (about 15m max) and split there in the loft 4 ways or whatever to each potential TV point (15m max).

Workable? Any comments appreciated!

No. VM like to run their own cables and certainly would not allow a 4 way splitter.

Thanks - so how would VM run the cabling for 4 tv points if not through a splitter?

At this stage Sky Q seems the easiest option with cat5e runs!

Never heard of anyone having 4 points. 4 points means 4 boxes and multi room subs.

It may be too soon for this to become a solution for everyone, but Virgin Media are in the process of rolling out something very similar to SKY's mini box. Whether this would negate the need to run a cable feed to each STB isn't known though?

It isn't beyond all realms of possibility for a customers to split the Virgin cable feed themselves, but is actually wanting multiple STB's then you'd probably be better off having the installation done by Virgin Media in order that they'd be able to adjust the signal level to your property if required?

If simply wanting to provide provision for future potential installations of Virgin cable then the coax used within the property can be any good quality coax. WF100 would be fine for either Virgin Media cable of SKY satalite provision so a comparable shotgun cable should also be fine. What you cannot do is mux the 2 signals and both need their own seperate cabling.

When or if having Virgin Cable installed, simply talk to the person who comes to do the installation and tell them that you've layed your own cabling. She's technically not supposed to use cables not originating from VM, but most employees and installers aren't really bothered if the cable in question is good quality.

You can techniaclly have as many access points as you want. THe issues only arise when you've boxes connected to all of them at the same time. THe greater the number of boxes then the more likelyhood of an installer having to adjust the signal strength to your by=uilding. Having the incoming feed split into 4 doesn't however cause any issues. I'd tend to suggest not splitting cables that have already been split though. It may be better to split the feed once and then run 4 feeds from one splitter?

Never heard of anyone having 4 points. 4 points means 4 boxes and multi room subs.
I have 4 boxes, 3 x V6 and a TIVO, they wouldn't give me 4x V6 for some reason. ;)

I have 4 boxes, 3 x V6 and a TIVO, they wouldn't give me 4x V6 for some reason. ;)
That the same as me. 3x V6 but the box number four had to be a TiVo. It's so much slower then the V6. Just strange why they dont allow 4 x V6.

Virgin Media have suggeste that you can have up to 5 boxes in some of their previous online literature:

by default 2020-09-18 at 20.52.27.png

Despite Virgin imposing a limit, no one appears to have a definitive reason as to why? I suppose the more STBs you have the greater the strain upon the signal you are allocated at that address, but why would the V6 impose more strain that the TiVo?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom