Srinivas8113

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm Srinivas from London, Ontario, Canada

I do not have any experience in using/setup of AV receivers.

I moved into my current home few months back and have been thinking about setting up a home theatre. I found a speaker set available at what I thought was a bargain (below are the details) and bought those (it's a 4.1 set, center speaker missing).

After doing some research I thought of buying Yamaha RX-V685, but did not think about compatibility with the speakers I already have. Could you please guide me if my choice of RX-V685 is right for these speakers (I would be adding a compatible center speaker when my budget allows).

This is what mentioned on speaker boxes

Front speakers (2 nos)
Tweeter: 1"
Woofer 5"X 3
Impedance: 8ohm
sensitivity 87db +/- 2db
RMS input power: 100W
Crossover frequency: 3KHZ
3-way system in Bass reflex
Frequency response 40HZ - 20KHZ

Rear surround speakers (2 nos)
Tweeter: 1"
Woofer: 4"
Impedance: 8ohm
sensitivity 87 db +/- 2db
RMS input power: 100W
crossover frequency: 3KHZ
1-way system in Bass reflex
Frequency response 40HZ-20KHZ

Active sub-woofer
Woofer 10"cone
Typical THD less than 0.1%
Frequency response 25-125HZ
Power output 8ohms 100watts
Power output 4ohms 150watts

There's no technical reason why those speakers cannot be driven by or used with the RXV685.

Are you not bothering with a centre speaker ans will you be adding more speakers in order to fascilitate you with Atmos and or DTS:X playback?

There's no technical reason why those speakers cannot be driven by or used with the RXV685.

Are you not bothering with a centre speaker ans will you be adding more speakers in order to fascilitate you with Atmos and or DTS:X playback?

Thank you @dante01 for your response.

The Center speaker, yes, I'll be getting that in few months. About Atmos, I won't be adding more than 5.1 until at least 2 years. But yes, I want to keep my options open for future upgrades.
I was concerned about power rating on RX-V685 of 90W per channel. Do you think I should go ahead and order RX-V685, or do you think there are better options out there in the same budget range.

Thank you @dante01 for your response.

The Center speaker, yes, I'll be getting that in few months. About Atmos, I won't be adding more than 5.1 until at least 2 years. But yes, I want to keep my options open for future upgrades.
I was concerned about power rating on RX-V685 of 90W per channel. Do you think I should go ahead and order RX-V685, or do you think there are better options out there in the same budget range.

You'll not really get anything more powerful at this price point and there shouldn't really be an issue with its power unless you've a large room with you sitting some distance away from the speakers? If not wanting to use its full complement of 7 channels of amplification then you've also the option of bi-amping the front left and right speakers or you can even add an external 2 channel power amp with which to drive the front left and right speakers.

You'll not really get anything more powerful at this price point and there shouldn't really be an issue with its power unless you've a large room with you sitting some distance away from the speakers? If not wanting to use its full complement of 7 channels of amplification then you've also the option of bi-amping the front left and right speakers or you can even add an external 2 channel power amp with which to drive the front left and right speakers.

Thank you very much for your inputs; I shall go ahead and place my order for Yamaha RX-V685

I have the RX-V675 and bought it to power the very efficient Reference II Bookshelves and RS42II. Then I upgraded to four KEF Q300 (sensitivity 87db/1watt, down from the Klipsch 94dB/1watt), and even though I noticed the loss in dynamics, the receiver made absolutely beautiful sound out of those speakers. The center was the Q600C, which is also less efficient tha the great but not as good sounding RC-62 II from Klipsch that I had.

After installing power amps to inneficient or not so efficient as the Klipsch speakers, I have noticed a considerable improvement in sound. I am a firm believer from my days as an headphones enthusiast that there is more than volume to be gained when selecting an amp. With that said, again, what I am getting now from the RX-V675 and the KEFs is nothing short of excelent. I now have that system in my media room.

I have the RX-V675 and bought it to power the very efficient Reference II Bookshelves and RS42II. Then I upgraded to four KEF Q300 (sensitivity 87db/1watt, down from the Klipsch 94dB/1watt), and even though I noticed the loss in dynamics, the receiver made absolutely beautiful sound out of those speakers. The center was the Q600C, which is also less efficient tha the great but not as good sounding RC-62 II from Klipsch that I had.

After installing power amps to inneficient or not so efficient as the Klipsch speakers, I have noticed a considerable improvement in sound. I am a firm believer from my days as an headphones enthusiast that there is more than volume to be gained when selecting an amp. With that said, again, what I am getting now from the RX-V675 and the KEFs is nothing short of excelent. I now have that system in my media room.
KEFs do thrive on power, no doubt about that.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom