Is your Avatar/online profile disconnected from your real life opinion ?

raduv1

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I do not use FB , Twitter , Instagram etc just don't float my boat . I have seen a rise in peeps being called out on old posts ( James Gunn being the latest ) that a recent profile can not mask . Been using forums for years and for most part I see many a member will not come outright on what they feel ( mainly due to bang up to job moderation :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: ) as not to offend . This is cool and all but in real life face to face is this the only way to express ones real opinion without maybe a punch in the face for doing so . Don't know about you lot but what I hear in real life would send social media into a meltdown in many respects .

As I say I do not do social media and it may actually be worse than forums or indeed real life .

I-give-to-you-my-happy-puppy.jpg

Social media is what gets you arrested if you have an opinion that goes against those that rewrite history.

Fight Club is where we discuss real issue's that's better talked about underground ;)

So we have a love of dog treats and attacking old men so far :laugh:. Peeps more fudged up than I :eek:.

Social media is what gets you arrested if you have an opinion that goes against those that rewrite history.

Fight Club is where we discuss real issue's that's better talked about underground ;)

What is fight club ;).

I don't use unmoderated social media either and maybe I mix with the wrong people, but, in my experience, people are far more polite to your face than online.

People say things and use terms of abuse that they probably never would in real life, though maybe they still think it.

A member was recently suspended (or maybe banned) for telling another member to f*** off. This is nothing compared to the racism, sexism and homophobia you see in the comments sections on YouTube or Yahoo, for example.

But no, I'm Left Wing on here and I'm Left Wing in real life. Any political position has its flaws, but it's one I'm happy to occupy across all forms of communication.

I do these forums and Facebook. On Facebook I deliberately avoid offending as I am a councillor but really I don’t actually want to offend anybody. Yes I have my opinion which may differ from others but deep down I want the best for everybody(some extreme exceptions).

I use a few footy forums where we can eff and blind all we want, it's a hoot, we can all moderate our levels of behaviour for what's acceptable wherever we're posting

I don’t post anything on Facebook because you can’t really these days. Apart from Facebook groups where you can speak your mind to an extent.

I find people in the real world would be labelled as Xenophobic/Racist if they said some of the stuff on Facebook but will happily talk about it in person.

Facebook seems to show the two extremes. Either the Tommy Robinson loving working class Chav type or the Lefty, human rights Snowflakes. In reality, the silent majority don’t have such extreme views.

I'm always a knob. :smashin:

I don't understand why anyone needs to be offensive, rude etc on a forum. Not withstanding a little bit of banter.

As said, some of the stuff some people post on forums, would end up as a punch in the chops in real life discussion, and probably would not be said in the first place because of the likely repercussions.

Think thats the problem with these so called social media things, people say things, that wouldn't dare to in real life, and spend too much time on them anyway.

Anyhows, I'm orrff to me other forum. Stuff the lot of you. :rolleyes:

I don't show people in real life all my amazon purchases one by one, so no.

OH I forgot to add that Yes in real life I keep one arm from swinging as I walk to allow me to reach for my gun quickly and am banned from every military airbase in the UK :(

My dream would be to video Management and Boss's in the workplace.

then play that video back in public and direct to their friends and family so everyone in their social life could see just what a-holes they really are when they have the power of the workplace to back them up and they think work is secret and private from the outside world.

I don't understand why anyone needs to be offensive, rude etc on a forum. Not withstanding a little bit of banter.

As said, some of the stuff some people post on forums, would end up as a punch in the chops in real life discussion, and probably would not be said in the first place because of the likely repercussions.

Think thats the problem with these so called social media things, people say things, that wouldn't dare to in real life, and spend too much time on them anyway.

Anyhows, I'm orrff to me other forum. Stuff the lot of you. :rolleyes:

Agreed. I think if the question is 'Are you a different person on social media than in real life?', which is what I think the OP is asking, then for me it's a resounding 'Nope'. I am a human being and my moods mean that sometimes I can be funny, sometimes I'm very understanding and willing to take time to deal with a situation, and unfortunately for a small minority of my time, I can be a bit of an impatient or even rude knobhead. I'm certain that my posts here would reflect these different facets of my being, I know I've apologised on AVF for saying things that are unreasonable, but I'd definitely do the same thing in real life too. I also like to think that on (more) occasions I've helped other people.

I absolutely and passionately hate the likes of Facebook. I have an account and am a member of a closed group of people that share a common interest, but even some of the stuff I see there tests my patience. I particularly dislike the 'drive-by' attitude of Facebook, whereby people write horrible things or call complete strangers the most horrible names for no good reason - imo these people definitely wouldn't behave the same way in real life.

Just one example of this that I saw recently was that a member posted a video of a young girl that was a friend of his at the Isle of Man TT for her first time. The video shows the girl (about 18 or 19 I'd guess) stood by the side of the road, whilst riders come past at almost 200mph. The girl jumps back and exclaims something like 'OH MY GOD!' or simliar. One of the member of the group then commented 'What a stupid little fudgeing bitch! What did she expect? [C-word]'. Nice. I mean really, what sort of people would say that to a young girl in real life? I'm guessing nobody.

The irony of many social media sites is that they claim to link people, when in reality all they do is facilitate 'access' to other people, whilst allowing a complete disconnection to occur at the same time - one reason I guess why bullying is so prevalent on 'social' media.

I'm the same charming, sweet, little cupcake in real life as I am on here.

I'm broadly the same online as in real life. I was a member of a hobby forum for many years where "anything goes". It was totally uncensored, and some of the vitriol that spewed was vile. Then, many of us met each other in real life at a convention, and the whole character of the forum changed (for most of the posters). I'm still friends with many of the people on a private Facebook group.

^genuine on right there. Goddamn predictive text sausage -fingered nightmare :mad:

edit: anyone know if kindle fire 10" has a bigger keyboard as well?

I'm the same charming, sweet, little cupcake in real life as I am on here.

Ah can we have Donnys alt account checked Please ;):D.

I do not use FB , Twitter , Instagram etc just don't float my boat . I have seen a rise in peeps being called out on old posts ( James Gunn being the latest ) that a recent profile can not mask . Been using forums for years and for most part I see many a member will not come outright on what they feel ( mainly due to bang up to job moderation :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: ) as not to offend . This is cool and all but in real life face to face is this the only way to express ones real opinion without maybe a punch in the face for doing so . Don't know about you lot but what I hear in real life would send social media into a meltdown in many respects .

As I say I do not do social media and it may actually be worse than forums or indeed real life .

With all those extra spaces it may be for the best :)

With my contribution to the digital landfill I have to clean it up a bit and play a bit nicer. Because of that I rarely bother with any of it. Forums though, I quite like. Most of the time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom