Issues at work - advice needed

If I wanted to stay at this company I would do that but its gone way beyond that now.
I'll certainly let my managers boss know why i'm leaving after i've resigned but not before.
Whether staying or not someone higher up should know this constant issue is a problem and if the previous people couldn't do it it will just let the asshole know he can keep getting away with it.

Think of it a final payback to the guy and knowing you helped karma along, should make you feel a lot better as well.

If I wanted to stay at this company I would do that but its gone way beyond that now.
I'll certainly let my managers boss know why i'm leaving after i've resigned but not before.
You probably don’t care anymore. But if there is something any bosses boss hates it is to hear it after the facts when there is nothing he/she can’t do about it anymore.

No good telling him/her after you resigned, why not deal with it before. And sooner than later.

Seems this is making you unwell, you’ve exhausted the avenues with your line manager, and Colin has a history of bad behaviour, for which he’s not been disciplined.

If you have a good HR department I would contact them first before going over your managers head. They should take your concerns confidentially.

You could also consult with Acas | Making working life better for everyone in Britain

Knowledge is power, that’s why Colin is being an arse. Good supervisors are few and far between, and some will never be good as long as they live.

Workplace should never make you unwell. Hope things improve.

If it was me id go above everyones head if i knew i had to leave, what have you got to lose? Take it to the top, your manager simply cant sweep it under the carpet and blame you. Youve brought it to his/her attention and they're doing nothing, thats not a manager. Others have left for same reason so problem stays and you leave.

indeed... and I'd be going to HR if the place has one... I know they're there mainly for the employer rather than the employee… but least it'll be on record..

It sounds like Colin has wedged himself firmly under his desk and the manager is too worried about getting rid of him.

On the plus side at least you know it isn't personal. I work with some right arseholes but I know that is how they are and I shrug it off. I could be the same back but I'm not an arsehole.

Get trained up, be less dependent on him and get on with the job. Who knows, boss man may appreciate the effort.

Just asking a question, nothing more, no accusations.

“How have you approached this with your manager”

Not saying it is acceptable, but it is common human nature. You can have a manager siding with you because they can see that the other party is an issue but then if you start making it a headache for the manager, talking about stress, headaches, time off, grievances, making it their problem then that could make them go on the defensive and turn on you.

Not saying it is acceptable, just that in my many years I have seen this sort of thing from managers who don’t know how to deal with awkward issues.

Cheers,

Nigel

You spend more than half your waking life at work, if you can't bear it, get out as a matter of urgency.

If you can get them to pay you whilst you're not even going into work, all the better. It'll give you some breathing space and give you the time to get your CV sorted / apply for jobs etc. And your current place are hardly going to throw it back at you in terms of reference etc, as they'll want you off their books.

I'd definitely get yourself signed off for a week or two to get some breathing space - watch some movies, play some Xbox - and you never know, it might get alarm bells ringing higher to to take your concerns seriously and do something about them.

It's situations like this that I'm glad I'm in a Union.

You probably don’t care anymore. But if there is something any bosses boss hates it is to hear it after the facts when there is nothing he/she can’t do about it anymore.

No good telling him/her after you resigned, why not deal with it before. And sooner than later.

I can't agree more with this if I tried. Having managed fairly large teams and also remotely managing teams in the past, you can only deal with what the guys bring to you - if you're not made aware, how can you help?
On the flip side, I've worked for a manager who makes zero effort to manage or communicate with me, so I've felt that frustration too.

There are an awful lot of threads on AVF, ranging from neighbour disputes to customers unhappy with a product. I notice the overarching theme in advice seems to be about 'getting proof' or making things formal as the go-to first action to take. I always think that the first thing to do in any situation where one person is unhappy with another person/ company/ product should be to talk to them, face-to-face if possible/ appropriate.

@BigStu1972 my advice is essentially in the paragraph above. Arrange to speak to you boss and simply lay your cards on the table. Do it clearly, professionally, with as little emotion (by that, I mean anger) as possible. Beforehand, write down what you want to say in the form of bullet points, so that you don't miss anything out. If your mind is 100% made up that you want to leave, then there's no harm in telling your boss that you intend to hand your notice in and the reason(s) why. This alone might give your boss a kick up the backside to sort Colin out, once and for all...

I hope it all gets sorted. You spend too long at work for it to be stressing you out like this.

Update. I couldn't get to see a GP today but saw a Nurse who advised me to take the week off for Work related stress. She told me to make an appointment next monday (which I have) to see a GP so that they can then sign me off should I need additional weeks.
Apparently I don't need a Doctors note for 1 week off sick.

Update. I couldn't get to see a GP today but saw a Nurse who advised me to take the week off for Work related stress. She told me to make an appointment next monday (which I have) to see a GP so that they can then sign me off should I need additional weeks.
Apparently I don't need a Doctors note for 1 week off sick.

Anyone can self-certify for a week for any reason. Take the time to check over your contract and any relevant policies in terms of sick pay / absence etc and ensure you're doing everything correctly. You obviously want a satisfactory and mutually beneficial outcome to all of this, but in the event of them playing hardball for whatever reason, you want to ensure you've done your bit correctly.

Anyone can self-certify for a week for any reason. Take the time to check over your contract and any relevant policies in terms of sick pay / absence etc and ensure you're doing everything correctly. You obviously want a satisfactory and mutually beneficial outcome to all of this, but in the event of them playing hardball for whatever reason, you want to ensure you've done your bit correctly.
Not sure how to inform my manager that I am taking the week off. I've not been signed off with stress as the Nurse can't do that but I have been advised to. So should I simply say I've been advised to take the week off due to work related stress or just say I wont be in this week due to work related stress.

Ironically, when I informed my manager (via text) that I wasn't coming in today he replied instantly and said "I hope you feel better soon". That's not his style at all

Not sure how to inform my manager that I am taking the week off. I've not been signed off with stress as the Nurse can't do that but I have been advised to. So should I simply say I've been advised to take the week off due to work related stress or just say I wont be in this week due to work related stress.

Ironically, when I informed my manager (via text) that I wasn't coming in today he replied instantly and said "I hope you feel better soon". That's not his style at all

I would go with the latter. See how you feel come Friday/Monday, and see what your boss says between now and then. Just make sure you're fulfilling the reporting absence policy. If you're supposed to call and don't want to, stress that you're aware you're supposed to (as per the policy) but you don't feel up to it given the nature of the illness.

If/when you decide to see your GP next week (I'd make an appointment for Monday AM, just in case - you can always cancel), then your GP can decide the next course of action and then it's out of your hands in terms of being able to go back to work. I think I'm correct in saying that once you've been signed off by a GP for work related stress, you're unable to go back to work without the GP's consent within the 'signed off' period.

If the current situation is what's made you feel the way you do, the onus is on your company to change the current situation. Unless they're saying what's been going on is normal.

Lots of good advice in here already. I'd definitely keep a log of everything though. I think if it was me at this point i'd be doing the bare minimum in my work day and communicating with colin only on an absolute no other options scenario whilst i searched for another job. If he's an asshole just walk away (although i appreciate not always that simple).

Failing that 3 simple words... Rear Naked Choke! ;)

With regards to the week off sick - just tell your manager you'll be off this week with a stress related illness and then see the Dr next week as youve planned. Some time off work will give you a chance to reset and look at it a bit more objectively whilst you plan your next move.

Good luck mate - horrible scenario for you and i hope you get it sorted one way or another.

I would deal with this as two separate issues.

Firstly the stress. Address this by understanding it's a job & nothing more, so stop investing in it or the situation emotionally. It's their business & if they don't care how it runs, why on earth should you? So step one is to stop caring. Not easy if you hate inefficiency but just adopt a "Fudge it" attitude. When you leave the premises the job is finished until you arrive next day. Don't give it a second thought in between.

Next your interaction with Colin. Try to keep it to email. If you need to know how to do something, ask him to document it rather than physically show you Copy your manager in & if you get no reply from Colin, keep resending the email with your manager cc'd.

To move this forward I would request a meeting with HR where you tell them what's been going on, how it's preventing you from doing your job & affecting your wellbeing. Tell them how you feel that your manager isn't supporting you to the point where you are considering looking elsewhere. Mention that it has been suggested to you that this is exactly the same scenario that caused your predecessor to leave. Finally point out to them that they seem to have allowed this Colin to become emperor of his own little empire. Ask them what their contingency plan is should Colin drop dead from a heart attack tomorrow? From what you've said the business would grind to a halt. As previously suggested, keep this bullet-pointed, calm & matter-of-fact. Do not under any circumstances get emotional, angry or raise your voice.

This may or may not improve things. It may simply take the decision to leave out of your hands as they can simply give you notice without reason, That may well depend on exactly what hold Colin has over management. They may be so blinkered that they'd rather keep replacing your position rather than deal with the elephant in the room.

Edit
Your updates while I was typing changes things a little. I would request the meeting with HR ASAP, certainly this week. You now have evidence from a medical professional that the work situation is affecting your health. That strengthens your case & they would be extremely foolish to ignore that, even more so to dismiss you.

Check your disciplinary/grievance procedure as you should be entitled to take someone in with you for moral support. Maybe someone who has seen the previous scenario with Bob would be prepared to accompany you?

Make sure you report in sick, as said as per company policy. As far as I’m aware, you not obliged at this stage to say what with. Contact Acas, as I advised. They can help you.

@BigStu1972 I had a similar a few years back. I worked in a place for the best part of 18months. I had feelings of dread inside myself every night and every morning before I went to work. My manager was the problem and it wasn't very nice at all. I had about 8 weeks of this and I was looking for another job when one morning I just went in, typed out a resignation and did my 4 weeks notice. Luckily, I got myself another job almost straight away but it was a risk.

My advice, talk to you your manager. Colin is being an idiot and your manager shouldn't be asking you to ask Colin to train you. Your manager should be talking to Colin.

You've self certified some sick leave. I think you need to inform them each day that you aren't well enough to work. Once you've done you 7 days you may need a 'fit note' or a doctors note to either return or stay off.

Contact the chap you replaced again and ask him if there are any opportunities where he's gone and get applying for other positions.

Good luck.

@BigStu1972 I had a similar a few years back. I worked in a place for the best part of 18months. I had feelings of dread inside myself every night and every morning before I went to work. My manager was the problem and it wasn't very nice at all. I had about 8 weeks of this and I was looking for another job when one morning I just went in, typed out a resignation and did my 4 weeks notice. Luckily, I got myself another job almost straight away but it was a risk.

My advice, talk to you your manager. Colin is being an idiot and your manager shouldn't be asking you to ask Colin to train you. Your manager should be talking to Colin.

You've self certified some sick leave. I think you need to inform them each day that you aren't well enough to work. Once you've done you 7 days you may need a 'fit note' or a doctors note to either return or stay off.

Contact the chap you replaced again and ask him if there are any opportunities where he's gone and get applying for other positions.

Good luck.
I have spoken with my Manager on more than one occasion. I have documented our conversations via email. He has now put this all on me to resolve. He was angry and slightly aggressive when I last spoke to him on Friday.

Oddly enough, I contacted Bob and he handed my CV in and has gotten me an interview where he works. Would be great if I got it :)

hopefully you can get signed off and get time to de-stress
if you are not getting anywhere with it, it might be best to get formal with HR
keep documenting everything so you have a case

One thing to think about while you are off, because sooner or later it will come to this, is what do you want to happen.

I guarantee, whether you start a formal grievance or you get called in to see the management/HR, is that you will be asked what you want to see happen.

Cheers,

Nigel

In such cases it's best you have everything written down and documented. When you need this you can almost guarantee Colin won't have the evidence and your boss might have some of it. You've done nothing wrong and just tried to do your job but have been prevented form doing that to the best of your ability.

Sadly the law on constructive dismissal requires the employee to have been in the employment for 2 years+. You do have grounds for wrongful dismissal, the time frame for this is anytime from the commencement of employment, should the case arise as you have been prevented from doing your job effectively, by both Colin and your boss. From what you say it appears that an element of bullying is evident too. Also that the company might well be aware of Colin's historic behaviour yet have seemingly done nothing about it.

However, as has already been said, you really need to consider the effect all this is having on your well-being and if there really is any mileage in staying with the company, or indeed instigating any kind of procedure against them. Sometimes it really is best just to move on, though Colin and your boss will have gotten away with it yet again.

Oddly enough, I contacted Bob and he handed my CV in and has gotten me an interview where he works. Would be great if I got it :)
Concentrate on the positivity in this :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom