Issues with EARC Nvidia Shield to SN11RG to Oled 65BX

Dan Drake

Standard Member
Reaction score
I can't get the BX to display pass through image from the Nvidia Shield I get a not supported video format message.

I currently have the Nvidia Shield plugged into the HDMI 1 port of the SN11RG soundbar and have a HDMI 2.1 cable running from the EARC output from the SN11RG to the HDMI 3 EARC input port of the BX.

The BX won't even display the shields home screen but I do get sound as if the video isn't being passed through.

I've tried the HDMI 1 input on the BX and it works fine but I don't get the EARC which makes it a fail as need the EARC 2 way street.

Any ideas if I'm doing something wrong or is this a potential software/ hardware fault between the LG devices?

You plugged the Shield into the HDMI 1 of the TV and it failed to pass audio over eARC to the soundbar ?

First up is that LG have a number of eARC bugs, the latest firmware solves some of these but it's on a phased roll out so not everyone is getting it at the same time. Anyway make sure you have at least the most recent public firmware update, check the built in LG firmware update.

Next configure the TV for eARC mode
Sound/Sound Out = HDMI ARC
Sound/Additional settings/Digital Sound Out = pass-through
Sound/Additional settings/eARC = enabled

Next on the Shield
Shield TV > Settings > Device Preferences > Display & Sounds > Advanced Sound Controls > Available formats set this to Auto

The main omission on the BX is no support for DTS, DTS-HD, DTS:X so those audio formats cannot be passed over eARC.

If your using the Shield for playback of movies with DTS then you should configure your media player like Kodi for two options

1) In settings->sound enable pass-through and select Dolby and TrueHD capable receiver, if the option is there tick the box for Dolby AC3 transcoding so it converts DTS into Dolby.

2) Leave pass-through disabled and just set the number of speaker channels to 5.1, that should make Kodi output PCM 5.1 which the LG SN11RG supports, it may support PCM 7.1 too but the review I looked at didn't say, with PCM output there will be no quality loss though you may lose Dolby Atmos support.

As to the no video when connected directly to the HDMI input of the soundbar try this
1) Connect Shield to the TV HDMI input
2) Manually set the video output to something like YCC 420 if the option is there.
3) Now plug the Shield into the HDMI input of the soundbar and see if the video is passed.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom