IWC's Cinema Room

I have just emptied the room to deal with Damp :(

Following a recent calibration the only changes to the system in 12 months have been the addition of a Supercap power supply for the 32.5. I have done quite a bit of demo and experimenting with the odd bit of kit ( I have viewed an x7 at home)

Most of my time has been watching films and for the past week ( no room ) I realise how much enjoyment I have from it :thumbsup:

Almost seems like money well spent !!

are you still running the av8?

Nope, a naim AV2

So for AV it is naim AV2 in pass through with naim 32.5/supercap tot he front and AV2 for centre, rears, LFE (A very clever set up on the AV2 so it acts as a volume wheel only on the fronts)

I dare say this system is sounding rather good, assuming it is all running since the damp issue.

Found this old thread and had a bit of Nostalgia as I start to pull together my kit in a new room, not as big as the old room (shorter but wider) this time I’m on the 2nd floor in an older house with low ceilings paintings done it’s just fitting screen and PJ ready for set up, hopefully before Xmas, wow how time and life flies by....

A few recent pictures of it's new 'home'

QCH Cinema room IWC1-9512123.jpg
QCH Cinema room IWC3-9512164.jpg
QCH Cinema room IWC2-9512137.jpg

I have been delving in the film cupboard and looking at the electrics, I have a separate ring for the AV kit and a separate line to the PJ as this was relativley easy to configure. As it was only a few hours work (well as always quite a few!) and I have some spare cable and large IEC connectors I decided to have separate lines for the Lumagen and Panasonic, so all 'noisy' video items go back to the consumer unit. All the electrics are 'new' as the house was refurbished in 2016, we have a CU on most floors, the one conveniently placed in the cinema room covers two bedroom floors. I do have the CU cover back on by the way !

So I will have analogue on the ring main and video back to the CU on separate lines. Not sure if I will get an improvement, but at least I had freed up two wall sockets. I miss the lower noise floor of dedicated mains, when I had each unit fed from one MCB in the old install it was a large upgrade on a ring main.

Cinem electrics 1-9512186.jpg
Cinem electrics 2-9512188.jpg

A little more light control, the ceiling panelling has now grown a little, now extends 8.5 foot into the ceiling and I have added side panels by the door with the same blue from a spare curtain. I ended up putting a shape on the ceiling with panelling that matched the shape of the projector housing. A great idea from the other half

Cinema room extended Light Control 2-9512210.jpg
Cinema room extended Light Control 3-9512222.jpg
Cinema room extended Light Control 1-9512203.jpg

Finally replaced my seat, took me ages to find a suitable 4 seater, most say seat 4 and mean 3 at best.... 2.5m wide and very comfy :)
New Sofa Cinema-9513375.jpg

A few more pics !

New Sofa Cinema Room 3-9513407.jpg
New Sofa Cinema Room 2-9513408.jpg

Any advice regarding a 7 speaker base bed vs 5 ? I am thinking of possibly adding a 3rd sub (it's an itch really) and wondered how much I might benefit from adding some sides, the front speakers are quite a way in and almost part sides (nothing I can easily do about this with the door location. The room is not huge either, but still a reasonable size, about 16.5 x 17.0 feet.

Are you still running the AV2? I think all the units I installed over the years have failed in some way by now, usually the dsp board.

I agree your front left and right do appear to be closer to the front wide locations than front. If you can add an extra pair to run as wides probably a touch further back down the room and move the left and right onto the front wall that would make a big difference with a suitable processor that can handle the decoding.

Hi yes I am still running the AV2 with the Panasonic analogue out, a bit too much now given the decoding needs, shame I liked analogue out when BR players took it seriously. I am about to finally demo a Muse and or Storm / Lyngdorf at home, not sure on timing given the current situation. I'm not sure I can move the big fronts back anywhere else too high and too deep to avoid the entrance, a shame I know. They sit with the front speakers about 4 feet or so into the room and a little wider than I'd ideally like. The centre seat is a bout 9.5 feet from L,C,R

Cinema L, R position-9512273.jpg

Genuine question, could the door be rehung to open out rather than in? Would that allow you to walk into the room without hitting the speaker?
Put Trinnov on your list to demo for sure and I'd definitely have a listen to the Arcam AV40 too, as it's very good albeit at a much lower price than the Storm/Trinnov.

Genuine question, could the door be rehung to open out rather than in? Would that allow you to walk into the room without hitting the speaker?
Put Trinnov on your list to demo for sure and I'd definitely have a listen to the Arcam AV40 too, as it's very good albeit at a much lower price than the Storm/Trinnov.

That would in theory be sort of possible, some of the house has replacement doors, this one isn't original, as its on the second floor not that much detail, this room was allowed to have a false ceiling put in when it was refurbished as the original had already been trashed and there had been a joist put across to hold up the original floor joists. So this particular room is less original than most, the door jam and arrangement would looks odd done that way as the landing has doors with deep reveals as the stone walls are very thick. I would definitely have to reinstate and make good when we move as the house is Grade 1 listed. I don't think my other half would be very understanding if I suggested a day for the carpenters and the door fitted the wrong way round, for better audio, but I will have a good look and think

This is the reason I won't fit ceiling speakers, I'm okay with fixings that can be made good when I leave, especially as the ceiling isn't original. Technically speaking anything I do to the house I need permission. It took 6m to get agreement to move a handrail and improve the tiny rear garden layout (patio) and 12m to rienstate a fireplace in one of the receptions....

I might do a plan sketch of the speaker layout to aid the thinking

PS I know some didnt think so but I heard the AV40 at the Bristol show and all things considered was impressed, a lot better IMO than the KEF room, which sounded compressed and muddled

A few more pictures room is 5.2m x 5.1m (wider into window reveals) 2.6m high. Centre is 0.85m away from the wall, L,R are 1.6m in from the back wall and 0.6m away from the side wall, seat is 3.5m away from the screen back speakers are about 0.5m-0.6m away from the walls, subs 1-1.5m away from the corner and close to the side and back walls. I think moving the door will be too tricky (accepting it would need to go back with no discernible damage), but still a good idea, as I would need to walk though it would be tricky to squeeze past every time as well

Cinema speaker position 1-9513602.jpg

Cinema speaker position 2-9513605.jpg

Cinema speaker position 3-9513610.jpg

Cinema speaker position 4-9513613.jpg

An approximate plan layout. the distance between the cones of the front speaker and back speakers is about 2.8m, so squeezing in some sides is obviously possible

Cinema speaker position 5-5277.jpg

Last edited:
I've done a bit more measuring and reading about 5.1 and 7.1 locations and my rears are about 115 degrees, for 5.1 seems 90-110 is about right. If I move to 7.1 I won't easily be able to bring the rears further behind, so I think moving the forward 6" or so will put them in the perfect position for 5.1.

For 7 bed base seems the ideal position for rears will need to be 130-150 degrees which is where my equipment racking is and the sides remain in the same position

So I have decided for the moment to stick with a 5 bed base, possibly 5.3 (I do fancy a third sub.....)

The front L, R are the biggest challenge as they are 43 degrees, not the recommended 22-30 degrees (they are wider and more forward than I would like, not helps by how deep the Extrema are. I cant see an easy way around this, I guess there are always compromises.....

Given your doorway goes onto the hallway/landing I'm not sure flipping it around works either now! :)

Have you thought of Rotating the room 180? Or would the storage become an issue then?
It would put the door in a more practical location I think.

I spent a bit of time with some more acoustic foam reducing the noise of the already quiet LS10500, with the high box, you cant see 'inside' the box without a torch, these shots taken with a head torch. Very happy with the results. The cover and mount were reused so when I installed I built a mount like a loft hatch when I fitted in late 2018 so I could mount the projector closer to the ceiling so the box all filled with acoustic foam. The 'messy' wedges of foam at the bottom keep the PJ super stable as its an old house, I also think the damp the case a little. Also not visible unless on a step ladder with torch

Just waiting for my ACT4 now :smashin: I am now running 3 subs :)

Cinema Room May 2020 1-9209625.jpg

Cinema Room May 2020 2-9209622.jpg

Cinema Room May 2020 3-9209620.jpg

Cinema Room May 2020 4-9209611.jpg

Cinema Room May 2020 5-9209616.jpg

Cinema Room May 2020 6-9209617.jpg

Here's some hush box inspiration if you need any ideas.

Very interesting, any idea how much the fan and airflow adapt might be, perhaps I could enclose the PJ a bit more if I was able to add airflow. At the moment I have plenty of room for air going in st the back and the two front grills throw the air up and left, right a little.After 1-2 hours the unit isnt very warm and it' only the insulation that will warm the case up, the ceiling in front is warm, but that would be the case with no cover.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom