Jaguar i-Pace recharging issues

scarty16

Prominent Member
Reaction score
A friend of the family has retired to Cornwall and bought himself a Jaguar i-Pace. He tried to leave Cornwall the other week and has found out that Jaguar i-Paces are seemingly incompatible with a large number of the chargers that he can reach, including people like Polar (BP). So we have nicknamed his new house "The Hotel California".

But on a serious note the Jaguar garage advised him when he first found out this issue that some charges did not work. The suggested using Polar, which then didn't work either.

What a mess, as my other halves hybrid Mini charges wherever we try to charge it. Does anyone else have these issues with Jag i-Paces?

I didn’t end up buying one, but back in July that issue was known already. Shocked to hear it is still not fixed.

Range anxiety ?

We've owned an EV for nearly 3 years and never gone outside the home range. :devil: :D

Have they had their iPace software updated to the latest version?

Part the problem for EVs is the fact there are still different rapid charging formats/plugs despite the EU choosing CCS format.

Currently the most 'reliable' Rapid charging format/plug is CHADEMO but the iPace is incompatible. CCS plugs seem to have more software and hardware issues which often means they don't work.

Finally there is 'rapid' AC, which I've used in the past to great effect, as the AC TYPE 2 plug nearly always works. But to make it worth while the car has to be able to accept faster AC charging rates, which the iPace cannot do and only charge at 7KW even tough the charger can deliver 43KW.

49402566571_d6b03ceeaa_c_d.jpg

As much as It may not be relevant to the iPace, Tesla's approach to charging shows why traditional manufactures still have to learn about EV design. Our Tesla can rapid charge at CHADEMO plug with an adaptor, CCS via adaptor - which to my surprise even works at Ecotricity CCS sites!! The car also does 18KW on rapid AC so if needed can add 20 miles range in 30 minutes often enough for marginal trips. Than finally there Tesla Superchargers, multiple bays and reliability rate of 99%. So in effect you have a car that can acess everysingle Rapid charger in the UK and the back up of half decent rapid AC rate.

For Jaguar's next EV I hope learn from their mistakes on the iPace. Just having flaky CCS rapid charging onboard the car is just not all that useful.

49402128843_b5fcef41d3_c_d.jpg

What a mess, as my other halves hybrid Mini charges wherever we try to charge it. Does anyone else have these issues with Jag i-Paces?

Just a note, the Mini Hybrid only charges on AC Type 2, and I believe sub 4KW.

DC Rapidcharging with CHADEMO is 50KW, and CCS/Tesla charges upto 250KW.

The reason why the your Mini hybrid seems so easy to charge is because the tech and power drain is very rudimentary compared to the power levels the iPace is trying to achieve. Its like comparing a vinyl record to streaming media, one is very easy to implement the other requires alot more tech.

Charging at the speed your Mini Hybrid can achieve will add 8 miles of range per hour to an iPace, you need at least 10hrs of been plugged to add any useful range. On a working CCS charger delivering 100KW it will take about 25 minutes to deliver the same amount of charge.

Equally plug the Mini into a 40KW capable AC rapid and it'll still only charge at sub 4KW, the iPace will do 7KW.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the Mini, didn't know that.

But at the end of the day, the Mini might be slow but it works everywhere, the i-Pace doesn't.

^I suspect the iPace will charge fine at any site/plug the Mini can charge, the difference been in the Mini you don't notice the tiny amount of electricity been added because its a hybrid. But in an EV you really notice the difference in charge rate because the rate at which you add electricity is directly linked to how much range you add per charging session.

I personally don't bother with any public charging thats slower than 7KW in our X, and on long trips I even avoid rapid AC unless I have no choice. Range added per minute is just too slow to bother with on anything less than 50KW in a proper EV.

Last edited:
^I suspect the iPace will charge fine at any site/plug the Mini can charge, the difference been in the Mini you don't notice the tiny amount of electricity been added because its a hybrid. But in an EV you really notice the difference in charge rate because the rate at which you add electricity is directly linked to how much range you add per charging session.

I personally don't bother with any public charging thats slower than 7KW in our X, and on long trips I even avoid rapid AC unless I have no choice. Range added per minute is just too slow to bother with on anything less than 50KW in a proper EV.
The problem is that the ipace doesn't charge at many sites

It will charge on AC just fine, although you really should not use AC from a rapid charger when the i-Pace cannot utilise am anywhere near the capacity of the charger this way. CCS rapid DC charging is proving to be problematic for a number of manufacturers, and it seems that the standards for the protocol are not as tightly defined as with Chademo, so incompatibilities can occur between vehicles and some brands of charger. This also means that you need to ensure that you’ve checked with your dealer to see if you gave all the latest software updates and to see if they are aware of ongoing issues that are still being worked on. It seems that new CCS protocol updates are being planned but the target for full completion is still a few years away!

The problem is that the ipace doesn't charge at many sites

Yes, its partly why despite been on sale since 2016 there are currently only 50 or so used Tesla Model Xs on Autotrader and over 300 iPaces most of which are barely 12 month old.

Jaguar made a good car with the iPace, but not a good EV.

Yes, its partly why despite been on sale since 2016 there are currently only 50 or so used Tesla Model Xs on Autotrader and over 300 iPaces most of which are barely 12 month old.

Jaguar made a good car with the iPace, but not a good EV.
Yes, as per your own and other ev owners comments, the vast majority of journeys don’t require such charging. They can simply do it every day at home. It’s what gave prospective owners like myself confidence. Are you now saying that is not the case?

@Bl4ckGryph0n Looking at our EV usage over 33k miles I've only used rapid charging for 6% of total trips. So for the vast majority of the time home charging is fine, but if the EV cannot access all available rapid charging easily we wouldn't have done a road trip to Scotland or France etc.

Jaguar not implementing rapid charging properly is like buying a OLED TV these days that cannot play mp4 or avi files, yes 99% of the time we all just use streaming media, but not been able to play compressed media from a local storage device is just hindering great hardware with lazy software implementation.

As I've said the iPace is a great car but bad EV.

49377672822_3a6fc9c8c1_c_d.jpg

Hello guys I found this chart on the IPace and I’m trying to figure the nominal and full pack readings as shown. Also what is the Sorce of this chart does it come from an OBD port.
Any reply would greatly be appreciated.

Stay Safe Mike

That data is from my TESLA Model X 75D, NOT an iPace. I've never seen an OBD tool accessible to the public from the iPace.

Even though Tesla badge my car as having a 75kWh battery only 64kWh is usable. The iPace I believe currently have over 80kWh usable on latest software??

I-Pace has 85KWH of usable range.

100KW charging should be provided as a free upgrade via a recall for I-Pace users.

MY21 I-Pace is available to order now and comes with JLR next gen infotainment privi pro and remote cameras and 100KW charging.

There was a problem with a software update of ecotricity chargers and I-Pace which was on the ecotricity side, not sure if it is resolved or not as it required a ecotricity engineer visit to every site.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom