JBL BAR 9.1 Soundbar Review & Comments

Nice review. If you leave the rear speakers attached to the main bar for general tv viewing (news, sports) or if your charging, how does is sound?

Thanks Steve. I'll definitely demo this before I finally choose something. The SN11 is probably top target but I can't ignore the cost saving this brings (especially with Currys 30% off deal).

By the way, last line before "Verdict", I think you mean "without distorting"

I didn't expect this bar to get such a good review.
I'm currently looking at a full Sonos Arc setup (but worried about SKY Q input lag with me LG B7) and the LG SN11RG.
This looks like another option but much cheaper!
Thanks

Nice review. If you leave the rear speakers attached to the main bar for general tv viewing (news, sports) or if your charging, how does is sound?
I thought it sounded excellent with the rears attached when watching general TV, and in fact this also addressed the system's inherent lack of width.

Interesting Steve, What HiFi take on this is polar opposite of yours :confused:

That market with good and affordable soundbars is getting overcrowded :D

If you are interested in autopsy :)

What HiFi suggests that the rear speakers can be 'perched' on the back of ones sofa! Not ideal for me as the cat would probably sit one one of them.

What HiFi suggests that the rear speakers can be 'perched' on the back of ones sofa! Not ideal for me as the cat would probably sit one one of them.

Nothing to worry. They are coming up with a pet friendly soundbar in the year 2049. :)

Great review @Steve Withers - thanks! I was spending much more than I normally would when I bought this so I'm chuffed that I made a good choice. I think it sounds great but it's good for a professional to confirm for peace of mind.

Do you have a contact at JBL who you feed back to? When Sky released HDR I contacted JBL about the lack of HLG passthrough and they said that they'd look into it.

interesting, looks cheap inside but i am sure most others available, when cracked open will look the same. guess if it has been designed well it should last the course, which u would hope for 900 quid.

interesting, looks cheap inside but i am sure most others available, when cracked open will look the same. guess if it has been designed well it should last the course, which u would hope for 900 quid.

Yeah it looks cheap but the Bose ones look horrendous than these. I am sure it will be the same with other soundbars. Just shows looks can be deceiving.

Yeah it looks cheap but the Bose ones look horrendous than these. I am sure it will be the same with other soundbars. Just shows looks can be deceiving.

Is the quoted bass response good for this soundbar? I know it's something you know a lot about.

Is the quoted bass response good for this soundbar? I know it's something you know a lot about.

JBL claiming a total frequency response of 34Hz-20kHz.

To be frank, its not good (for me) but the measured lowest frequency response which is room dependant could be lower.

If you look at the Samsung Q90R / LG soundbars (2020 entry level), the lowest rated frequency response is 28.3 Hz and they both have smaller sized sub than the JBL which I think has a 10 inch woofer. Its entirely possible JBL are being conservative with the numbers.

I didn't buy the JBL as the soundbar width is way too small for my tastes, not 7.1.4 and doesn't come with additional HDMI IN which is very important to me.

Great review by AVForums - strange that other websites are not so favourable but I am looking forward to getting mine this week from Currys (with the 30% off to go with my new TV).

Downloaded a few Atmos trailers in preparation :)

Great review by AVForums - strange that other websites are not so favourable but I am looking forward to getting mine this week from Currys (with the 30% off to go with my new TV).

Downloaded a few Atmos trailers in preparation :)
Maybe Steve handle it much better and took plenty of time to test it out ;)

I was between this and the Vizio. This looks fantastic but I went for the Vizio in the end. The price, and lack of channel adjustment were the big factors. I usually need to up the centre to get clearer vocals at lower volumes. And the price was too close to the Q90r. Which I would definitely look to get for around a thousand at some point. Primarily because the bar is so much wider giving better stereo separation. That should be a given at this price point.
In regards to the wireless technology, it's great but I would like them to apply this to ceiling speakers. Have some brackets that attach the the ceiling that rechargeable speakers can clip in and out of. Wiring the ceiling is a no go for most people, this would solve that problem.

Thanks for the review @Steve Withers . I can honestly say that it's a spot on review having owned the bar for a good 6-8 weeks now. The front sound can be a bit narrow on occasion (I do find find this depends on the content) and it's not the best for music imo but the Atmos side of it was amazing and the rear speakers are excellent. It badly needs an app which would make the settings more simplistic. For the money it's a great bar and I'm chuffed with mine. Glad to see the bar getting w comprehensive review.

I don't find the sound narrow when using the rears. I don't know if the rears help with this or not?

If I'm not using the rears I dock them which makes it wider anyways - win win! 😁

I don't find the sound narrow when using the rears. I don't know if the rears help with this or not?

If I'm not using the rears I dock them which makes it wider anyways - win win! 😁

Probably right, I still say the Atmos on this bar is stunning. Watch Sicario and it sounds amazing in dolby Atmos, even with the sub set to 4 it shook my walls.

I guess I'm comparing it to soundbars like the Samsung HW-Q90R, which has side-firing drivers to widen the front soundstage. However, the JBL's front soundstage is certainly as wide as the Vizio in that regard.

I guess I'm comparing it to soundbars like the Samsung HW-Q90R, which has side-firing drivers to widen the front soundstage. However, the JBL's front soundstage is certainly as wide as the Vizio in that regard.

Due to my living room layout and furniture, I do get much more to the right than the left. I'll remedy this when I move house. I still don't quite know how it makes sounds appear to be coming from the wall, it's witchcraft! 😁

Presumably a narrow living room makes a difference in regards to the perceived width of the soundstage?

I still don't quite know how it makes sounds appear to be coming from the wall, it's witchcraft! 😁
Presumably a narrow living room makes a difference in regards to the perceived width of the soundstage?
It's not witchcraft, it's the wonderful world of object-based audio.

My lounge is orientated so it's wide but not very deep, in a narrow and deeper room the width of the JBL's front soundstage would be better suited.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom