JBL Synthesis Power Amps

Will say this it did take sometime either for me to get used to them or break in. But the longer I’ve had them the better they sound. My speakers where about a year old and after swapping I have not changed a setting or equipment. Think it will be a good upgrade for you.
Right that seals it for me then. I've ask AV Online of they'll open up the AVforums discount again, you never know...
About our ads

Right that seals it for me then. I've ask AV Online of they'll open up the AVforums discount again, you never know...

Hi PP,

I've now bought it.

But a couple of silly questions before I open the box.... Does your Denon Amp simultaneously just output a signal to the pre outs. I can't seem to find a setting on mine that says it can switch the 7 or the 7.4.2 to pre out. I was wondering do I just hook it up via an RCA and then it just detects there is a signal during setup, even though say the FL is not connected to the FL speaker terminal. I suppose I'm saying in general, are pre outs "always on"...

Also did you hook up a 12v trigger to power up the AMP, if so is there one in the box?

Cheers

James

Hi PP,

I've now bought it.

But a couple of silly questions before I open the box.... Does your Denon Amp simultaneously just output a signal to the pre outs. I can't seem to find a setting on mine that says it can switch the 7 or the 7.4.2 to pre out. I was wondering do I just hook it up via an RCA and then it just detects there is a signal during setup, even though say the FL is not connected to the FL speaker terminal. I suppose I'm saying in general, are pre outs "always on"...

Also did you hook up a 12v trigger to power up the AMP, if so is there one in the box?

Cheers

James
Am going off memory at work will look when I get home but. As far as the pre outs you have to go into the speaker setup settings and swap it to pre amp to turn them on. They come with tigger cables but the amps have a auto on function. I found that it was overly delayed and ran the trigger cables but they are not needed. I believe the amp come in auto mode so you will have to swap the switch on the back. Not sure I understand what “FL” means. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do. And any other questions feel free to ask.

Am going off memory at work will look when I get home but. As far as the pre outs you have to go into the speaker setup settings and swap it to pre amp to turn them on. They come with tigger cables but the amps have a auto on function. I found that it was overly delayed and ran the trigger cables but they are not needed. I believe the amp come in auto mode so you will have to swap the switch on the back. Not sure I understand what “FL” means. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do. And any other questions feel free to ask.
Hi PP,

Got one and finally got it hooked up. Though it didn't include a UK power chord! Just running the Front, Centre, Left and the Two Surrounds for now, with the LX59 doing all the height channels and an Onkyo 1007 doing the surround back. Not really had a chance to give it a good blast yet. Only thing I've noticed is that it clicks when you fast forward on SKY Q, which is annoying. Will have to see when I fire up a film tonight. Been through all calibrations, MCACC, REW and Mini DSP. Here is the response compared to when the LX59 was doing the amplification in orange. Green is the JBL. I'm hoping the difference will be apparent in a film in terms of detail, punch and accuracy, as normal TV sounds no different as yet. Fingers crossed.

version 5.jpg

Yea the clicking I don’t know I don’t have that problem with mine that’s very odd. It’s clicks when the power cycles but never while in use. Far as the REW numbers that’s a very nice uniformed matched response. But forgive me if am wrong but if your calibrating to say ref. Spl I wouldn’t think you would have a difference on the graft only on the amount of total volume need to reach said numbers. I could be wrong in this still learning myself.

Hi PP,

Got one and finally got it hooked up. Though it didn't include a UK power chord! Just running the Front, Centre, Left and the Two Surrounds for now, with the LX59 doing all the height channels and an Onkyo 1007 doing the surround back. Not really had a chance to give it a good blast yet. Only thing I've noticed is that it clicks when you fast forward on SKY Q, which is annoying. Will have to see when I fire up a film tonight. Been through all calibrations, MCACC, REW and Mini DSP. Here is the response compared to when the LX59 was doing the amplification in orange. Green is the JBL. I'm hoping the difference will be apparent in a film in terms of detail, punch and accuracy, as normal TV sounds no different as yet. Fingers crossed.

View attachment 1340664
Would love to know your thoughts after this evening before I do something silly tomorrow.....

@FazerThou Well I've just had a little listen/watch to John Wick 3 and Infinity War. Both were simply outstanding. Clarity and composure is superior. There is much more detail to be garnered. For example when the Rolls Royce turns up in the rain at the Continental at the start of JW3, you can hear the wiper blades working. This is something I've not noticed before. Fire it up see if you can hear them, perhaps I'm imagining things, but it's my current go to piece for testing calibrations and I'd not heard it before.

Everything has an extra level of controlled impact yet complexity, don't get me wrong it's not night and day, but it is definitely noticeable. Everything seems to have been lifted, almost making the sound stage larger. One thing that does sound different is music, especially an orchestral scores. It sounds like the music is playing on another set of speakers, I don't know why, it just does... You still retain all the dialogue, action and ambiance, but the music seems to set apart, but in a good way - it's not tainted by the onscreen action and adds to the emotion. I hope that helps. @POOKIES PICKLE does any of this reflect your experience?

On the downside, it do get a faint pop when there is an HDMI handshake, the "auto on" needs a fair bit of volume from the LX59 to register and when I turn everything off, and the JBL stays on (does so for a while if there is no signal), it's picking up some sort of interference. But It is on a multi-plug with 8000 other devices. I'm getting a conditioner delivered this week. Otherwise I'll just turn it on manually or use the supplied 12v trigger cable.

@FazerThou Well I've just had a little listen/watch to John Wick 3 and Infinity War. Both were simply outstanding. Clarity and composure is superior. There is much more detail to be garnered. For example when the Rolls Royce turns up in the rain at the Continental at the start of JW3, you can hear the wiper blades working. This is something I've not noticed before. Fire it up see if you can hear them, perhaps I'm imagining things, but it's my current go to piece for testing calibrations and I'd not heard it before.

Everything has an extra level of controlled impact yet complexity, don't get me wrong it's not night and day, but it is definitely noticeable. Everything seems to have been lifted, almost making the sound stage larger. One thing that does sound different is music, especially an orchestral scores. It sounds like the music is playing on another set of speakers, I don't know why, it just does... You still retain all the dialogue, action and ambiance, but the music seems to set apart, but in a good way - it's not tainted by the onscreen action and adds to the emotion. I hope that helps. @POOKIES PICKLE does any of this reflect your experience?

On the downside, it do get a faint pop when there is an HDMI handshake, the "auto on" needs a fair bit of volume from the LX59 to register and when I turn everything off, and the JBL stays on (does so for a while if there is no signal), it's picking up some sort of interference. But It is on a multi-plug with 8000 other devices. I'm getting a conditioner delivered this week. Otherwise I'll just turn it on manually or use the supplied 12v trigger cable.
I've always used the trigger in the past as it should stop it from listening and the switching relays which may be the click

Yes very much so I heard things in movies and song I didn’t before. I found the same issue with the auto on and swapped to the trigger cables within a week of getting both amps. I have my AVR and both amps all on 20amps lines and separate breakers with nothing else on them. So 3 separate outlets with three separate wire and breakers. Sounds like you have a grounding issue. There is a ground lug on the back of am not mistaken you may need to run a hound loop of a separate power source.

@FazerThou Well I've just had a little listen/watch to John Wick 3 and Infinity War. Both were simply outstanding. Clarity and composure is superior. There is much more detail to be garnered. For example when the Rolls Royce turns up in the rain at the Continental at the start of JW3, you can hear the wiper blades working.

Couldn't resist, I had to check on my system. Yep the wiper blade sound was there.

I used to use the first incredible movie, with the ticking bomb at the beginning. See how early you can hear it.

How are you all getting on with the SDA-7200 ?

How are you all getting on with the SDA-7200 ?

I'm loving it, I'd like to buy another to lift the burden of the Pioneer AVR doing any amplification. Once I'd got over my initial issues its never put a foot wrong. I'm now in the market for a dedicated processor. But undecided on a suitable pairing. Any suggestions? If anyone is thinking of buying one of these perhaps we could negotiate a group discount as I'd buy another.

I'm loving it, I'd like to buy another to lift the burden of the Pioneer AVR doing any amplification. Once I'd got over my initial issues its never put a foot wrong. I'm now in the market for a dedicated processor. But undecided on a suitable pairing. Any suggestions? If anyone is thinking of buying one of these perhaps we could negotiate a group discount as I'd buy another.

Trinnov altitude 32?

Hi YorkshireJim007

I was just wondering, the click that you here, is the click from the amplifire it self?

Or is the click/pop in the loudspeakers?

And last, is the click gorn now that you are using trigger cable?

Best regards Kim

I've always used the trigger in the past as it should stop it from listening and the switching relays which may be the click

Hi @YorkshireJim007

You write the following On the downside, it do get a faint pop when there is an HDMI handshake, the "auto on" needs a fair bit of volume from the LX59 to register and when I turn everything off, and the JBL stays on (does so for a while if there is no signal), it's picking up some sort of interference. But It is on a multi-plug with 8000 other devices. I'm getting a conditioner delivered this week. Otherwise I'll just turn it on manually or use the supplied 12v trigger cable.

Did you get rid of this or?

If you did how?

I am considering bying one, but I dont want the pop in the loudspeakers.

Mines on a multi socket and using the trigger cable if that helps and any click is from the amp not the speakers

Poweramps when idle should produce no erroneous noise, apart from slight hiss due to noise floor/efficiency not speakers.

Poweramps may or may not have a power up / power down thump or click depending on the design.

Just ordered one of these to add to an Anthem AVM 60 processor and NAD C268 amp. Looking forward to seeing its performance with 8 Ohm speakers. Looks good on paper.

To any owners all the blue lights are lit up on the front even though I only have five channels connected. Is that typical?

I was expecting the two empty channels not to register.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom