JBL Synthesis Power Amps

I didn't buy the XMC-2 from them - got a better deal from Peter Tyson, but I get your logic, I expect they would have if I'd bought it all from them.

You snapped up the ex-display Emotiva? If you did, thank you. I have been debating buying that for a week and you have saved me some money. However, I would be interested to hear your thoughts as I am leaning that way.

Welcome to the brokeville club.

Yes, there seem to be many people from Brokeville on this site...

My thought now is perhaps how to utilise the 16 channels of the XMC-2 for the best. I've currently got 7.4.2 running, which is great, but I was thinking of introducing front wides, but putting them behind my screen. I currently have Jamo THX One LCRs behind an acoustically transparent screen. So the question is, do I add another two LCRs (which I've got) as wide LR channels, so a bit like the 5 channel front stage of SDDS - Sony's digital sound format. This would mean technically reducing the distance between my current L & R channels to accommodate the wide L&R channel speakers. Would this be detrimental? Any views? I don't really have the space to add any more speakers as surrounds, no point in going with 6 overhead speakers, so behind the screen is my only option. Perhaps front height channels might be a better use of the channels and speakers...

Also anyone know anyone who's introduced a center sub?

Thanks
J

You snapped up the ex-display Emotiva? If you did, thank you. I have been debating buying that for a week and you have saved me some money. However, I would be interested to hear your thoughts as I am leaning that way.

I did indeed, had to wait for them to confirm it had the Dirac kit included in it, which is did in the end. So yes I'm the man that saved your wallet... That said, AVO have a "grade b" one on for 2.6k if you're still in the market. I will give me full and honest review when I've hooked it up. It's got 30 days return on it, so I will be honest, if it isn't great, it will be going back.

J

Hi guys have just come across this thread, was looking at the JBL SDA7200. Wanted to partner it with my Marantz SR7012 to power my Monitor Audio Gold 200's. Any thoughts as to this being a worthwhile addition.
Thanks

Hi guys have just come across this thread, was looking at the JBL SDA7200. Wanted to partner it with my Marantz SR7012 to power my Monitor Audio Gold 200's. Any thoughts as to this being a worthwhile addition.
Thanks

Hi Gaz,

I’ve just bought my second one and I can’t recommend them enough. 7 x 200 watts all channels driven is next level compared to an AVR in my opinion. Detail is increased as well as the dynamic range of what ever you’re playing. Obviously your experience might be different with the Marantz, but I will predict now you’ll end up on a full pre/pro and power amp journey, leaving the Marantz behind. I’ve now gone 2 x JBLs and an Emotiva XMC-2. It’s like night and day compared to an AVR. Hope this helps.

My top tip is buy the JBL through top cash back as they have a good rate with AVO and you’ll get £49 quid cash back. Nice little saving there. That’s what I did with my last one I bought. 👍

Thanks

Jim.

Hi Jim thanks for that. Will definitely look into the top cash back as well, the JBL is a steal at the moment and with another lockdown here any savings is a good thing.
Gaz

I saw someone in the Arendal thread mention the SDA 7200. Been thinking about a power amp for a while now & currently using a Yamaha 3070 & Arendal 1723 tower s set up. The Emotiva XPA Gen 3 was top of my list but not really wanting to spend so much right now.

Is the JBL likely to have a little improvement or significant improvement over my current amplification? £1350 seems a very good price.

Is the JBL likely to have a little improvement or significant improvement over my current amplification? £1350 seems a very good price.
I was using a Yamaha 3080 onboard and then with external power amps. The externals added a little but not a great deal. It was only when I ditched the Yamaha in favour of a dedicated processor that things started to fly with the power amps. I’m delighted with the JBL for the record.

I was using a Yamaha 3080 onboard and then with external power amps. The externals added a little but not a great deal. It was only when I ditched the Yamaha in favour of a dedicated processor that things started to fly with the power amps. I’m delighted with the JBL for the record.
Thanks. Perhaps I should hold off until I'm ready to go all in then. Because I'm certainly not wanting to buy a decent processor as well.

Thanks. Perhaps I should hold off until I'm ready to go all in then. Because I'm certainly not wanting to buy a decent processor as well.

You get a benefit with AVRs as well as with processors. You don't need to buy a processor, but having power amps in your system does mean, down the line, you have that option.

I use an AVR (which measures objectively better than several processors). By switching the amps off and using only external amplification I get much lower harmonic distortion.

The SDA 7200 is also 200W per channel all channels driven, which is likely better than what's in your AVR. That won't make a huge difference, but would probably give you a couple of dB extra headroom.

I have been running pre/power for over 20 years and no AVR holds a candle to a proper pre/power rig.

If you have a good AVR with pre outs then I would still say go for the power amp. Better dynamics, more headroom, better channel separation, better sound - more enjoyment.

When you eventually change to a processor - you probably will never go back to an AVR unless you really need to have a one box solution for space reasons or there are budget constraints.

I have been running pre/power for over 20 years and no AVR holds a candle to a proper pre/power rig.

If you have a good AVR with pre outs then I would still say go for the power amp. Better dynamics, more headroom, better channel separation, better sound - more enjoyment.

When you eventually change to a processor - you probably will never go back to an AVR unless you really need to have a one box solution for space reasons or there are budget constraints.
I've already gone down the rabbit hole tonight and the Emotiva XMC-2 has caught my eye......

I had the XMC-2 and it was very nice. It had a few bugs when I had it, but I gather they've mostly been ironed out. If you're looking at the XMC-2 the new Anthem AVM70 is also worth considering.

I had the XMC-2 and it was very nice. It had a few bugs when I had it, but I gather they've mostly been ironed out. If you're looking at the XMC-2 the new Anthem AVM70 is also worth considering.
Yes, I came across that as well tonight! I think if I was being sensible I should start with just an amp for now. Especially as 2 days ago I had no plans to buy either.

It was only because I saw the JBL for a good price, so need to calm down before spending several thousands I hadn't planned on.

Yes, I came across that as well tonight! I think if I was being sensible I should start with just an amp for now. Especially as 2 days ago I had no plans to buy either.

It was only because I saw the JBL for a good price, so need to calm down before spending several thousands I hadn't planned on.
Yes the JBL is a great bargain at the price and works to spec unlike a lesser Rotel amp I had recently that cost more. Definitely be sensible on spending but my processor/power amp combo cost three times my Yamaha flagship receiver and I don’t regret a penny. Finally pleased for what is an ordinary lounge based system.

Could someone with the SDA 7200 measure the full depth to include the speaker terminals
Thanks

Mine are in a rack so I'm afraid I can't measure them, but the JBL website states:

"438 mm x 413 mm (with Connectors)"

Just wanted to double check with a measure that’s what they mean
I should be able to measure myself on Tuesday:)

Hi guys,

Ran into a problem with my JBL 7200 - any one had an issue of where it won't turn on? Power management is in "trigger mode" with no trigger cable attached and it doesnt want to turn on via the on button. Attached a "live" trigger cable it wants to turn on - clicks, lights go red and then turn blue, then it turns itself off. No dice with audiosense power management too. I've disconnected the amp from every input and speaker, again no dice, just won't power on.

As I have two of these amps, tried the trigger cable in the other amp that doesn't work in the other amp and it works. So it's not the processor or the cable.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Jim.

Hi guys,

Ran into a problem with my JBL 7200 - any one had an issue of where it won't turn on? Power management is in "trigger mode" with no trigger cable attached and it doesnt want to turn on via the on button. Attached a "live" trigger cable it wants to turn on - clicks, lights go red and then turn blue, then it turns itself off. No dice with audiosense power management too. I've disconnected the amp from every input and speaker, again no dice, just won't power on.

As I have two of these amps, tried the trigger cable in the other amp that doesn't work in the other amp and it works. So it's not the processor or the cable.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Jim.

My first one was fine but one morning decided it wouldn't power up via auto sense or from the power button on the front panel despite the switch on the rear being in the correct position. It would only work via the trigger cable but this caused a loud hum/buzz through the speakers.

Had to send it back and get a replacement unit although I was a bit miffed the dealer wanted it back first to check rather than just send a replacement.

On yours, if you flick the small switch on the back to the non trigger mode (make sure it's unplugged from the mains when you do) does it still not power up?

Last edited:
My first one was fine but one morning decided it wouldn't power up via auto sense or from the power button on the front panel despite the switch on the rear being in the correct position. It would only work via the trigger cable but this caused a loud hum/buzz through the speakers.

Had to send it back and get a replacement unit although I was a bit miffed the dealer wanted it back first to check rather than just send a replacement.

On yours, if you flick the small switch on the back to the non trigger mode (make sure it's unplugged from the mains when you do) does it still not power up?

Tried as you've suggested but no dice.

Tried as you've suggested but no dice.

Just to make sure. The little switch on the back enables/disables the front panel power button. When enabled make sure no trigger cable is attached.

If it's still doing nothing then it looks like it's got a fault unfortunately.

I saw someone in the Arendal thread mention the SDA 7200. Been thinking about a power amp for a while now & currently using a Yamaha 3070 & Arendal 1723 tower s set up. The Emotiva XPA Gen 3 was top of my list but not really wanting to spend so much right now.

The JBL is 200w per channel all channels driven...

The Yamaha 3060 is 56w per channel a 7 channels driven. God knows what it is with 9 channels driven.....perhaps negative number I bet haha

Yup even a flagship avr can't compare against a "low end" poweramp. Find a good 100w per channel poweramp, it'll outlclaass pretty much everything...and need to spend £2500+ on a avr to even try to match it.

Plus as you upgrade processing you keep the power amps

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom