John Lewis Accidental Damage Insurance - Burn In Covered

Bizarre comment to make If the warranty covers the product it's a very good investment. For example my five year Sony warranty has so far been called into to action 3 times in as many years! My concern with this D&G cover is that the exclusion wording specifically will exclude claiming for screen burn in.

He does this a lot. He uses the words anxiety to try and insinuate people have mental health issues or are anxious nervous wrecks when it comes to oleds and burn in.

It’s just a bit immature.

Insurance exists for a reason in nearly every high level purchase but now he wants to nullify it and say anyone that gets insurance is only getting it to alleviate anxiety.

Good luck driving a car on the road with that attitude 🤣🤣🤣

Hmmm, I don’t personally see this as good news. Burn in was something we covered in the default warranty when I worked there, no questions asked. Albeit that was 4 years ago.

Also, it’s not John Lewis offering it, it’s domestic and general, who you can get cover with in addition to your normal warranty when you buy any product - I would assume if you get the accidental warranty with them with any OLED purchase you’ll get burn in cover.

Hmmm, I don’t personally see this as good news. Burn in was something we covered in the default warranty when I worked there, no questions asked. Albeit that was 4 years ago.

Also, it’s not John Lewis offering it, it’s domestic and general, who you can get cover with in addition to your normal warranty when you buy any product - I would assume if you get the accidental warranty with them with any OLED purchase you’ll get burn in cover.

I have confirmed with Domestic and General that Protect Plus is exclusive to John Lewis.

D&G have been documented on this forum to be inconsistent with whether they decide to cover burn in or not due to their current terms outside of their deal with John Lewis. Its been luck based, until the Protect Plus program which puts it in black and white. I actually asked D&G last year and they said burn is NOT officially covered. Now with Protect Plus, it is.

So maybe in the last 4 years, things have changed.

I think it’s good that cover is there but bad that basically JL are saying the normal warranty doesn’t cover it.

I guess it is once again down to caveat emptor.

He does this a lot. He uses the words anxiety to try and insinuate people have mental health issues or are anxious nervous wrecks when it comes to oleds and burn in.

It’s just a bit immature.

Insurance exists for a reason in nearly every high level purchase but now he wants to nullify it and say anyone that gets insurance is only getting it to alleviate anxiety.

Good luck driving a car on the road with that attitude 🤣🤣🤣
To say that people with anxiety have mental issues is a little bizarre. That would mean that most people alive today belong in the psych ward. Any psychologist would tell you that many normal people struggle with anxiety. The media and social media can increase this anxiety.

To say that people with anxiety have mental issues is a little bizarre. That would mean that most people alive today belong in the psych ward. Any psychologist would tell you that many normal people struggle with anxiety. The media and social media can increase this anxiety.

Anxiety is a mental health condition/issue (I've done Psychiatry for 6 months). Just because you suffer from anxiety, or any mental health condition or symptom, does not mean you need psychiatric admission to a ward.

Anxiety can come and go, it does not mean you need medication, a ward or even medical input.

Does everyone with Angina need to be on a cardiology ward for their entire life?

Are you still not getting any house or car insurance?

Anyway, I don't really want to get into your "circular arguments or debates".

You don't believe in insurance, great. For those that do, whether anxious or not, please let them be.

I think it’s good that cover is there but bad that basically JL are saying the normal warranty doesn’t cover it.

I guess it is once again down to caveat emptor.

Can you please find me a retailer who can assure you in writing and in their terms and conditions of their warranty that they will cover burn in with normal warranty?

Although I agree with you that it should be covered in normal terms, I find it strange that people want to pinpoint John Lewis for this but ignore Currys, Richersounds, Crampton and Moore, Peter Tyson etc.

I argued for ages that burn in should be included in warranty programs on this site. Mods and a few users were very very against it. JL have now acted and provided us with a compromise. I feel uneasy that people bash them for this.

burn in should be included in any warranty, but as most retailers don't, what would be good is to list like a top 5 or 10 in order of who has the best warranty, and extra cover if wanted.

1 would be john lewis for there burn in extra cover, but where would the rest rank in tearms who you would buy from

burn in should be included in any warranty, but as most retailers don't, what would be good is to list like a top 5 or 10 in order of who has the best warranty, and extra cover if wanted.

1 would be john lewis for there burn in extra cover, but where would the rest rank in tearms who you would buy from

I don't know.

Every other retailer as good customer experiences and bad ones. I've read many people who've bought from Currys have good experiences with burn in and OLED, but then one user had to take them to court for burn-in.

Similarly RS seems to be a flip of a coin as to their response when it happens. But if you ask them prior to purchase in writing, they say they don't cover it.

Can you please find me a retailer who can assure you in writing and in their terms and conditions of their warranty that they will cover burn in with normal warranty?

Although I agree with you that it should be covered in normal terms, I find it strange that people want to pinpoint John Lewis for this but ignore Currys, Richersounds, Crampton and Moore, Peter Tyson etc.

I argued for ages that burn in should be included in warranty programs on this site. Mods and a few users were very very against it. JL have now acted and provided us with a compromise. I feel uneasy that people bash them for this.

I’m not bashing JL at all, well in general I feel personally burn in should be covered and it’s sad that now JL are definitively saying ‘it’s not our responsibility’

Curry’s replaced my C6 for burn in so I have nothing but good things to say about them, but I know that’s not the universal or consistent experience.

My summary would be that JL have found a way to separate themselves from this debate and even found a way to make a bit of cash, so from a business point of view, well done them:

From a consumer point of view, at least you know the position of JL. I repeat with others it’s still
caveat emptor, which I personally don’t feel is right as the TV should be fit for the purpose it’s intended and burn in should be covered under the general warranty, but that’s just my opinion.

I’m not bashing JL at all, well in general I feel personally burn in should be covered and it’s sad that now JL are definitively saying ‘it’s not our responsibility’

Curry’s replaced my C6 for burn in so I have nothing but good things to say about them, but I know that’s not the universal or consistent experience.

My summary would be that JL have found a way to separate themselves from this debate and even found a way to make a bit of cash, so from a business point of view, well done them:

From a consumer point of view, at least you know the position of JL. I repeat with others it’s still
caveat emptor, which I personally don’t feel is right as the TV should be fit for the purpose it’s intended and burn in should be covered under the general warranty, but that’s just my opinion.
Its a roll of the dice.

If you email Currys and ask them to put it in writing that they'll cover burn-in, they'll say no.

Thats telling enough for me. I don't want to buy £5,000 or £6,000 TV and then when it burns in, have to 'hope' they help me out.

I'd be wanting to read the full terms and conditions along with examples. I know with 'full cover' for a mobile phone my brother had turned out useless. We had taken dog out for walk in the snow and obviously made a snowman and chucked snowballs etc all over a few miles of walking. Got home and he had lost phone, he called insurance policy number and they asked what he was wearing and where the phone was, he said in a jacket pocket, they asked if it had a button fastener or zip and he said no so they said it was neglect that he did not secure the phone in a close-able pocket and refused to pay out or replace the phone.

I notice in OP's post that exclusions include cosmetic damage and neglect, who knows what that means? Like you go to move the table and the TV tilts and falls off then breaks they could argue that you did not have 2 or 3 fit and strong adults to help move the item so no payout.

Your kid accidentally chucks a toy across the room and scratches the screen, well that could be classed as cosmetic damage as the pixels still work, it's only a scratch so no exchange or repair maybe.

They even have and exclusion for mechanical and electrical breakdown of your product, so once out of manufacturer warranty does that mean if for instance a capacitor pops then you are out of luck?

Before you take insurance from the seller you should maybe check with your home contents insurance as they may include that level of cover anyway or offer the same or even better cover for a small amount more on your existing policy.

We're going round in circles with this thread. There is no reason to believe John Lewis/D&G would refuse any claim on the policy not caused by deliberate misuse or lack of manufacturer recommended maintenance/protection.

The policy wording is freely available to read on John Lewis' website. Based on the a supposedly good reputation that John Lewis has, there is virtually no chance of a legitimate burn in/screen burn/image retention claim being refused.

We can all agree that this does undermine those who opt not to buy the insurance in respect to whether burn in is now ignored under the standard 5 year guarantee. As to whether this is right or wrong, this has been extensively discussed, and both sides make good points - we won't actually know what this means until the first person with an OLED bought post April 2020 attempts to claim under the standard warranty.

As for the example above @IdoLikeFilms , re it falling off a table - its quite simple. If the damage renders the product unusable or not fit for purpose, the insurance pays out - as long as there isn't the suspicion of foul play, such as launching a brick at the screen because you fancy a new tv.

The exclusion exists in the policy wording as mechanical and electrical breakdown would be covered under the 5 year guarantee, so there is no reason to claim on the insurance policy. And yes, if a capacitor pops at 5 years 1 week, by the letter of the guarantee which you implicitly consent to when purchasing the tv, you would be on your own. However, not only is there the 'reasonable use' consumer rights argument to fall back on, but countless examples of JL replacing/repairing goods out of warranty can be found. They replaced my entire Weber BBQ Grill 2 years out of warranty because of a faulty igniter - I specifically stated I was happy to pay for a repair, and when they offered me a model costing more than I originally paid, I offered to fill the difference, but they refused.

As for home insurance, as has been frequently discussed on the thread, image retention/screen burn is not specifically covered, so you would need to claim the TV was broken - which, it strictly isn't. You would then be liable for an excess on the claim, as well as likely higher premiums in future. For the sake of £140, just pay JL/D&G and be done with it - or don't, and try your luck with another retailer or the standard guarantee.

Last edited:
The only reason I'm considering a £6000 gx77 oled is because of the John lewis protect plus that states in black in white that it covers screen burn in.
JL & D&G thank you so much :D :love:
Also makes the wife super happy as she spent a good few years of me jarring her about screen burn in on my early oleds.. 2014 - 2018.. my last 2 oleds I didn't care about burn in as I bought them at the end of their retail life so they were cheap cheap cheap, not caring about burn in was/is like a huge weight been lifted of your shoulders :D

The only reason I'm considering a £6000 gx77 oled is because of the John lewis protect plus that states in black in white that it covers screen burn in.
JL & D&G thank you so much :D :love:
Also makes the wife super happy as she spent a good few years of me jarring her about screen burn in on my early oleds.. 2014 - 2018.. my last 2 oleds I didn't care about burn in as I bought them at the end of their retail life so they were cheap cheap cheap, not caring about burn in was/is like a huge weight been lifted of your shoulders :D

I, and many others are not convinced that this will cover Burn in. If you are spending that much I'd look to get a specific cover on your home insurance.

I, and many others are not convinced that this will cover Burn in. If you are spending that much I'd look to get a specific cover on your home insurance.
But it says covers screen burn lol, what more can you ask for?
if they wanted to be sh*tty about it and never covered what they actually advertise they cover then 2 can play at that game and the tv can accidentally fall off the wall.

But it says covers screen burn lol, what more can you ask for?
if they wanted to be sh*tty about it and never covered what they actually advertise they cover then 2 can play at that game and the tv can accidentally fall off the wall.

But it also says it excludes cover for neglect, and seeing as manufacturers claim burn in only happens from improper use/neglect will they pay out? If you are going to play that game then you could never contact them about any burn in. I'd also be wary about it "falling" off the wall then I bet they would wriggle out of that saying the wall bracket wasn't sufficient/not fitted properly. One of my friend's kids put a nice hole in the front of his new 4K tv a few years back with a dog chew toy and his home insurance for accidental damage paid out for that. Like I say, better to get a specific cover through a home insurance policy specific to your costly set, that way you'll have total piece of mind.

But it also says it excludes cover for neglect, and seeing as manufacturers claim burn in only happens from improper use/neglect will they pay out? If you are going to play that game then you could never contact them about any burn in. I'd also be wary about it "falling" off the wall then I bet they would wriggle out of that saying the wall bracket wasn't sufficient/not fitted properly. One of my friend's kids put a nice hole in the front of his new 4K tv a few years back with a dog chew toy and his home insurance for accidental damage paid out for that. Like I say, better to get a specific cover through a home insurance policy specific to your costly set, that way you'll have total piece of mind.
They can’t advertise to cover screen burn and accidental damage then just flatly refuse to pay out if either occurs, any court or small claims court would wipe the floor with them.
they would have to have hard evidence you neglected the tv, how can they possibly prove that?
home insurance claim would up your premium also.. no thanks.

They can’t advertise to cover screen burn and accidental damage then just flatly refuse to pay out if either occurs, any court or small claims court would wipe the floor with them.
they would have to have hard evidence you neglected the tv, how can they possibly prove that?
home insurance claim would up your premium also.. no thanks.

Of course they can. Insurance companies do this all the time, especially the higher the cost of the insurance payout. As always do as you feel is best for you, but if you are shelling out £6k on a brand new television then what is a slight hike it home insurance? I've just added a few grand of jewellery to ours, accidental loss away from the home and it cost me a few quid, in fact the main cost was alteration of the policy because it was mid term. IF I bought an OLED from John Lewis I would probably get this policy but no way I would be comfortable it would pay out in the circumstances you have just alluded to.

Of course they can. Insurance companies do this all the time, especially the higher the cost of the insurance payout. As always do as you feel is best for you, but if you are shelling out £6k on a brand new television then what is a slight hike it home insurance? I've just added a few grand of jewellery to ours, accidental loss away from the home and it cost me a few quid, in fact the main cost was alteration of the policy because it was mid term. IF I bought an OLED from John Lewis I would probably get this policy but no way I would be comfortable it would pay out in the circumstances you have just alluded to.
Yeah my main reason for the cover would be the burn in protection for peace of mind.
you say you would probably get the cover for different reasons, what reasons are they?

Yeah my main reason for the cover would be the burn in protection for peace of mind.
you say you would probably get the cover for different reasons, what reasons are they?

For the burn in, but I'm highly doubtful it would pay out unless it were a faulty set. If I were spending £6k I would get a insurance policy that would pay out for any sort of burn in. IF such a thing exists.

For the burn in, but I'm highly doubtful it would pay out unless it were a faulty set. If I were spending £6k I would get a insurance policy that would pay out for any sort of burn in. IF such a thing exists.
I had a look around for policies as I would have got the tv a good chunk cheaper from crampon and Moore discount club, called d&g and asked could I take out a policy that will cover me in the event of screen burn, he said no and they only cover it via the John Lewis protect plus cover, must have some kind of deal going on? the other companies I checked none stated any type of screen burn cover and I guess would put it down to wear and tare.

Last edited:
I'm still struggling to understand where the lack of clarity is? It's an accidental damage policy firstly, where one of the conditions included specifically addresses screen burn.

If someone launches a Wii Remote through the screen - covered. If you're moving the TV to another room and you drop it - covered. If you see image retention appear and you've followed the recommended care guidelines of the TV - covered.

This is D&G and John Lewis, not some random insurer through a shady retailer. As @jmacc points out, if they decide to play hard ball on a legitimate claim, they and their stellar reputation would be dragged through the small claims court and the likes of Watchdog for blatant miss-selling.

There are no cases I'm aware of on here, nor did I see any cases during my 5 year career working for John Lewis/in John Lewis through an agency where an accidental damage claim was refused, bar one..... 4 years 48 weeks into the insurance period (4 weeks before the end) a brick was 'accidentally' dropped on a 65 inch top of the line TV. In that instance, it was fair to question the customer as to what a brick was doing near the TV, given the customer lived in a block of flats with no ongoing building work. Claim refused, and no argument from the customer.

As I mentioned yesterday, this discussion is going in circles. If you're not convinced that the accidental damage insurance policy that specifically includes screen burn/image retention would not cover either when the claim arises, that's your view. You might be right, I might be right, but going round in circles on here isn't going to resolve it. Why don't you phone D&G and ask about specific cases, or get them to put it writing.

I totally get that you want an iron clad agreement if you're about to drop £6k+ on a TV - anyone would. But there is no reason anywhere to think this wouldn't be covered.

I'm still struggling to understand where the lack of clarity is? It's an accidental damage policy firstly, where one of the conditions included specifically addresses screen burn.

If someone launches a Wii Remote through the screen - covered. If you're moving the TV to another room and you drop it - covered. If you see image retention appear and you've followed the recommended care guidelines of the TV - covered.

This is D&G and John Lewis, not some random insurer through a shady retailer. As @jmacc points out, if they decide to play hard ball on a legitimate claim, they and their stellar reputation would be dragged through the small claims court and the likes of Watchdog for blatant miss-selling.

There are no cases I'm aware of on here, nor did I see any cases during my 5 year career working for John Lewis/in John Lewis through an agency where an accidental damage claim was refused, bar one..... 4 years 48 weeks into the insurance period (4 weeks before the end) a brick was 'accidentally' dropped on a 65 inch top of the line TV. In that instance, it was fair to question the customer as to what a brick was doing near the TV, given the customer lived in a block of flats with no ongoing building work. Claim refused, and no argument from the customer.

As I mentioned yesterday, this discussion is going in circles. If you're not convinced that the accidental damage insurance policy that specifically includes screen burn/image retention would not cover either when the claim arises, that's your view. You might be right, I might be right, but going round in circles on here isn't going to resolve it. Why don't you phone D&G and ask about specific cases, or get them to put it writing.

I totally get that you want an iron clad agreement if you're about to drop £6k+ on a TV - anyone would. But there is no reason anywhere to think this wouldn't be covered.
Totally agree well said.

These debates are like discussing politics. It is a form of entertainment for many. The debaters never consider what the other side says since their purpose isn’t to provide concrete knowledge, but rather to be entertained with an argument.

saying the same thing over and over is a form of entertainment

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom