John Lewis offering me the 2020 Hisense 55AE7400 as replacement

jimmythehill

Established Member
Reaction score
So, I've had a Hisense 55NU8700 for the last 2yrs, however recently developed screen flickering , glitching.
Engineer from JL came out and reviewed it last week and today, JL emailed me offering me the AE7400 as a replacement - which they have on sale for £599.
Now I'm trying to work out whether this a decent replacement for the NU8700, which as far as I remember was the top spec 55" Hisense from 2018, which I paid £699 for.
Now I don't want to sound ungrateful, but any opinions will be appreciated.
Thanks,
J

Not sure what I'd do in your shoes TBH.

The AE7400 is decent with Dolby Vision and is direct LED. However, 2019's H55U7BUK has local dimming and Dolby Atmos, but is edge-lit (this puts some people off).

John Lewis have an excellent returns policy and customer care, and it really sounds like they are trying to do the right thing. Which is great to hear.

Remember, you’re within your rights to reject the replacement, if it’s not of sufficient quality, and you can’t know this for certain until you have tested it.

If I were you, I would state in writing that your acceptance of their offer (of a different model) is conditional on the basis of a 14 day home trial to ensue the replacement is of sufficient quality. Make sure they acknowledge and accept this.

As long as things are clearly stated and unambiguous, you don’t have any worries.

Regards,
James.

So rang them up yesterday and they said they'd offer me £599 towards any other TV. I've bit the bullet and gone for the 55U7QF...hopefully a decent choice.
Can't fault JL though

Good choice and nice qmount given.

I opted for the 55U7QF instead... Lovely set so far.

I have the 55AE7400FT and the picture is fantastic! PS4 pro pushes the screen to 12bit BT2020. Shame PS4 doesn't do Dolby vision. Would love to have any calibration settings if anyone has any? 😁

IMG_20200716_131806.jpg

This must be a common fault as our U7A has just developed same same issue. Hisense were exceptional good and quick and condemned it immediately. I can see why you only get a 2 year warranty as standard though and for this reason I wont be buying another Hisense, you definitely are getting what you pay for. Ours was a great set for the 23 months it lasted for though, but for £600 it needs to last much longer!

This must be a common fault as our U7A has just developed same same issue. Hisense were exceptional good and quick and condemned it immediately. I can see why you only get a 2 year warranty as standard though and for this reason I wont be buying another Hisense, you definitely are getting what you pay for. Ours was a great set for the 23 months it lasted for though, but for £600 it needs to last much longer!
I am so torn on televisions.

I had a U7B that had a problem playing DV discs on my UB820. So not sure about them again. But they are good price. So can't win and don't know what do do?

I am so torn on televisions.

I had a U7B that had a problem playing DV discs on my UB820. So not sure about them again. But they are good price. So can't win and don't know what do do?

As with anything until you get a problem yourself, as we just have, I've been very happy with the U7A purchase, apart from the operating smart menus, which are rubbish compared to our main Sony set. But reading around there seem to be an awful lot of reports of Hisense sets having flickering/other issues around the two year mark, which is the same as the Hisense warranty. I wont be getting another.

As with anything until you get a problem yourself, as we just have, I've been very happy with the U7A purchase, apart from the operating smart menus, which are rubbish compared to our main Sony set. But reading around there seem to be an awful lot of reports of Hisense sets having flickering/other issues around the two year mark, which is the same as the Hisense warranty. I wont be getting another.
Exactly. My Hisense U7B was 2 days old. And I had white flicker on the DV content through my 4K player.

I was hoping the 2020 models will be fixed like the QLED, or the AE7500, but now don't know if trust the brand. Think I stay clear of Hisense?

Plus bit worrying that they are not on display in electrical stores like Currys and Richer Sounds. Purely based on sales.

Exactly. My Hisense U7B was 2 days old. And I had white flicker on the DV content through my 4K player.

I was hoping the 2020 models will be fixed like the QLED, or the AE7500, but now don't know if trust the brand. Think I stay clear of Hisense?

Plus bit worrying that they are not on display in electrical stores like Currys and Richer Sounds. Purely based on sales.

I suspect profit margins are much less than compared to the "big" brands so they wont want to push them. I'm not wanting to bring down the brand, I'm sure there are thousands of happy owners, and whilst working, for the money they are superb, plus the aftersales service has been top notch for me...BUT...I need a television to last longer than 2 years and had ours decided to mess up a month later it wouldn't have been covered so £600 down the pan, considering you get 5 years with a Sony by that logic it makes better financial sense to spend double on a top end set that is much much better and is covered for longer.

How are you finding the U7QFT?

I am considering of getting this later in the week? Any issues with it, how does DV and 4K HDR look?
It's an excellent piece of kit for the price. I'm not naive enough to say its the best thing since sliced bread, but it's much better overall compared to my nu8700. Haven't regretted getting it.
By the way, you're not the Adam Clayton are ya lol

It's an excellent piece of kit for the price. I'm not naive enough to say its the best thing since sliced bread, but it's much better overall compared to my nu8700. Haven't regretted getting it.
By the way, you're not the Adam Clayton are ya lol
Lol nope. Wish I was.

So the TV is decent? Do you watch any 4K movies on it with a player? If so which player?

'Only 2 year'? Sony/Samsung/LG/etc. only give you 1 year :laugh:;). Sony 5-year is an extended warranty you have to purchase yourself but as always factory warranty is only an additional warranty on top of your consumer rights which the seller, not the manufacturer directly, is responsible for.

Last edited:
'Only 2 year'? Sony/Samsung/LG/etc. only give you 1 year :laugh:;). Sony 5-year is an extended warranty you have to purchase yourself but as always factory warranty is only an additional warranty on top of your consumer rights which the seller, not the manufacturer directly, is responsible for.

That's not the case in the UK. Sony give a 5 year warranty as standard. This has been the case on all three of my previous Sony sets. It's up to the seller whether they support an issue or insist you go via Sony for any warranty issues.

That's not the case in the UK. Sony give a 5 year warranty as standard. This has been the case on all three of my previous Sony sets. It's up to the seller whether they support an issue or insist you go via Sony for any warranty issues.
"Your Sony guarantee: what you need to know: In general, Sony offers a standard 1 year guarantee that covers almost all Sony products. Some exceptions such as lamps, projectors and batteries have a more limited guarantee."
5 year warranty at time of purchase is the extended warranty included in the purchase price already (If you have a 5-year Extended Warranty which is pre-registered between your dealer and Sony, ...)

It is also not 'up to the seller' but usually going the direct route is quicker (have a service contract with the manufacturer and less hassle for themselves. Technically speaking I don't believe you should have to be the one to do the dealings with the manufacturer)
"The retailer is responsible: If what you’ve bought doesn’t satisfy any one of the three criteria outlined above, than the retailer that sold it to you is in breach of the Consumer Rights Act.
This means that your statutory consumer rights are against the retailer – the company that sold you the product – not the manufacturer
." Still even the biggest retailers will initially try to send you home with their standard 'sorry your product is out of warranty' after 1 or 2 years story if you don't have any additional extended coverage :rolleyes: and only threat of legal action will spring them into action.

Last edited:
"Your Sony guarantee: what you need to know: In general, Sony offers a standard 1 year guarantee [2 years over here] that covers almost all Sony products. Some exceptions such as lamps, projectors and batteries have a more limited guarantee."

It is also not 'up to the seller' but usually going the direct route is quicker (have a service contract with the manufacturer and less hassle for themselves. Technically speaking I don't believe you should have to be the one to do the dealings with the manufacturer)
"The retailer is responsible: If what you’ve bought doesn’t satisfy any one of the three criteria outlined above, than the retailer that sold it to you is in breach of the Consumer Rights Act.
This means that your statutory consumer rights are against the retailer – the company that sold you the product –
not the manufacturer." Still even the biggest retailers will initially try to send you home with their standard 'sorry your product is out of warranty' after 1 or 2 years story if you don't have any additional extended coverage :rolleyes: and only threat of legal action will spring them into action.

"Your Sony guarantee: what you need to know: In general, Sony offers a standard 1 year guarantee that covers almost all Sony products. Some exceptions such as lamps, projectors and batteries have a more limited guarantee."
5 year warranty at time of purchase is the extended warranty included in the purchase price already (If you have a 5-year Extended Warranty which is pre-registered between your dealer and Sony, ...)

This means that your statutory consumer rights are against the retailer – the company that sold you the product – not the manufacturer
." Still even the biggest retailers will initially try to send you home with their standard 'sorry your product is out of warranty' after 1 or 2 years story if you don't have any additional extended coverage :rolleyes: and only threat of legal action will spring them into action.

Well having made three claims on my Sony warranty in the last four years (television purchased from Richer Sounds) on every occasion this has been direct with Sony, the 6th year of the warranty is with RS. Never an issue, and I have a copy of the 5 year warranty with Sony if I log in to my Sony account. Ultimately I'm not fussed who sorts it out should a problem occur but my point is still very valid, I have 5 years with Sony and 2 with Hisense.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom