John Lewis warranty.

AlanT1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Can anyone advise help who have been in a similar position.

If I bought an Lg oled tv from someone on this forum and it was originally purchased from John Lewis and I believe John Lewis warranty is transferable do he seller contact them with my details and would I receive anything in writing confirming the warranty is transferred to my name.

Many thanks.

Tell them to forward any paperwork they have in regards to the warrenty (may just be an email) that should be enough I think although it's best to double check.

The situation is as follows.
I bought an old tv through epoints via John Lewis. I asked about the 5 year warranty and was told epoints would have to give permission to John Lewis to transfer the warranty. Epoints done this and since then I have been given the run around by John Lewis.
I have now been told that they don’t transfer their warranties but under the circumstances they will put a note on the system that I will be covered. They will not put this in writing.
I spoke to a manager and she confirmed the warranty is non transferable.
When they come to their senses and read their own terms and conditions on the website I was hoping someone on this forum can confirm if I would receive a letter/email confirming transfer of warranty.

I was told the same after selling a TV recently they came back with our warrantys are not transferable.
So i emailed them back a copy of their terms and conditions which states they do transfer warrantys and low and behold they said oh we made a mistake and the new owners details were also noted.
Looks like the try it on at first contact to dissuade you then relent if you complain.

Part of the email recieved.

Thank you for contacting JohnLewis&Partners again, I apologise for the incorrect information given to you on our last email to you, you are correct that Your guarantee is transferable with ownership, so if you give or sell the item to someone during the guarantee period, it's still covered'.

You will need to give the new owner proof of purchase so if any fault or queries we can see this is now owned by a different customer.
Could you kindly advised the order number so we can update our records.
Again I am sorry for confusion of detail.

The confusion when contacting JL after sales is that they are unable to amend the details of who actually purchased the goods on the order itself (which is also the warranty info).
All they can do is put the new owners details into the notes section of the order.
It has nothing to do with “trying it on” it is a lack of understanding on the call centre operators part.

You are always far better off emailing to update any details when selling / buying Electricals originally from JL as they don’t send out any paperwork confirming updated warranty as nothing has actually been changed on any system.
At least then you have an email trail if you have any concerns.

Last edited:
The confusion when speaking with JL is that they are unable to amend the details of who actually purchased the goods on the order itself (which is also the warranty info).
All they can do is put the new owners details into the notes section of the order.
It has nothing to do with “trying it on” it is a lack of understanding on the call centre operators part.

You are always far better off emailing to update any details when selling / buying Electrical S originally from JL as they don’t send out any paperwork confirming updated warranty as nothing has actually been changed on any system.

Thanks for all your help.
Just received a email confirming warranty is in my name noted on their system.

I have never called them i emailed them from the start with the following response:

I hope this email finds you well.
Thank you for your email, and contacting us to advise that you no longer are the owner of the LG TV.
Unfortunately, the warranty becomes void as it is no longer John Lewis who are liable for any faults if the product is no longer owned by the original bill payer.

I have never called them i emailed them from the start with the following response:

I hope this email finds you well.
Thank you for your email, and contacting us to advise that you no longer are the owner of the LG TV.
Unfortunately, the warranty becomes void as it is no longer John Lewis who are liable for any faults if the product is no longer owned by the original bill payer.

The point wasn’t whether you had called them, it was that they weren’t “trying it on”. The Call handler (email respondent- same person, in exactly the same place) was mistaken in their response to the query.

And as stated, you then had an email trail which makes it far easier to end up with the correct response / outcome.

I’ve amended aspects of my original post to be more clear

The confusion when speaking with JL is that they are unable to amend the details of who actually purchased the goods on the order itself (which is also the warranty info).

You are always far better off emailing to update any details when selling / buying Electrical S originally from JL as they don’t send out any paperwork confirming updated warranty as nothing has actually been changed on any system.

This guy knows. Always leave a clear paper trail.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom