Joker 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

I agree that Phoenix put in a very good performance, as he usually does. But as an origin story, do you not think it hits familiar and predictable beats in order to show us the descent of a man in a society that's not been very good to him?
To be honest, it's a film I would only watch once! Great performance from Joaquin Phoenix but I wouldn't watch it again!

It may not claim to be but many of it's devotees do. Seriously, i've heard people calling this film a 'game changer'.
It may well be a game changer to those who say so. But also, it is not always the first action that causes the change. Rosa Parks was not the first person or even the first woman to protest segregation by not giving up her seat. Joker maybe following in the tradition of the films you mentioned previously but "maybe" Joker is the one that actually causes change. I'm not optimistic but it is a possibility. Maybe someone watches this and sees a bit of Arthur in themselves and resolves to talk to someone and deal with it before it does get out of hand.

Here is my perhaps my biggest issue - The Joker may be an entertaining antagonist in the Batman lore, but he does not make for an interesting story simply because by attempting to humanise him, you immediately remove what it is that makes the character so appealing in the first place! Was it not simply fun and engaging to infer the way in which, say, Ledger's Joker came to be? Was it not more satisfying to revel in seeing a character with no capacity for logical thinking and a freedom that does not burden him with fear or remorse?
It's personal preference but my next comments will cover this.

There are very subtle hints here and there from The Dark Knight as to what caused Ledger's Joker to be the way he was....
Now, you see how I got all of that through visual storytelling rather than being spoon-fed?
You are looking at it purely as a fan of the Joker. I think the rest of us may be looking at this more as a study of human nature, the failure of systems, and the nerosis of Arthur Fleck. What's interesting and frightening is that this perfect storm of events isn't even uncommon. The Joker for many of us turns out to be a great vehicle for exploring those themes.

it’s because it’s different. Very dark and Phoenix performance is very good, but I can’t say I’ll be watching it many more times than once or twice.

still, found it a lot better than once upon a time in Hollywood.
I loved both! :D

It may not claim to be but many of it's devotees do. Seriously, i've heard people calling this film a 'game changer'.

I haven't seen Parasite yet so I can't comment on that comparison. But to respond to your point about interesting stories being told in an entertaining way, I swear by that myself and think it's important so we can agree on that. But.

Here is my perhaps my biggest issue - The Joker may be an entertaining antagonist in the Batman lore, but he does not make for an interesting story simply because by attempting to humanise him, you immediately remove what it is that makes the character so appealing in the first place! Was it not simply fun and engaging to infer the way in which, say, Ledger's Joker came to be? Was it not more satisfying to revel in seeing a character with no capacity for logical thinking and a freedom that does not burden him with fear or remorse?

There are very subtle hints here and there from The Dark Knight as to what caused Ledger's Joker to be the way he was. I inferred that he was actually an Iraq vet who had been discharged due to war severe PTSD and his increasingly eccentric behaviour. He was maybe a prisoner of war too something hence his ability to organise ambushes and fighting prowess.

Now, you see how I got all of that through visual storytelling rather than being spoon-fed? And how much more engaging that is? This is exactly what Joker does NOT do. The film basically shows and tells you every step of the way that this guy is going nuts because we live in a sh*te society and its basically a serious of juxtapositions of that. Rough upbringing? Check, dodgy mum? Check. sh*t job? Check. sh*ttier 'mates'? Check. Object of affection who aren't interested in him? Check!

Now, if this film had told these sequences of events in a creative and exciting way like how Mendes and Deakins told a WW1 story, then i'd definitely be giving the film more slack, but it really doesn't. The framing is rudimentary, the lighting nice but in no way does it stand out. It's not daring enough to be 'dangerous' in the way that Lars Von Trier and Gasper Noe are, and it adds nothing to the mental illness argument other than suggestions that socio-political situations are the root cause of them.

Phoenix was great, but i'm sorry to say that the film was basic as can be.

Can't argue with anything you've said there. However, personally i could have easily done without the Batman/DC Universe nods/theories etc. I think its kind of silly to focus on those aspects personally.

This film is ultimatley a person's descent into madness...the fact it's about The Joker is secondary to say the least (tying it into the character was pretty much the only way the director could get the film made btw).

I think the performance is a LOT better than the film itself (the director's previous films have been almost all terrible) but what ultimately elevates Joker for me is the fact that it IS significantly deeper than the vast majority of cinema these days and, if it's helping hundreds of thousands of teenagers empathise and/or find some catharsis with Arthur's isolation, then that can only be a good thing.

I remember watching this in the cinema near my birthday and found it intense. My other half has bought this for me for valentines day. And we have just finished watching it. Bloody hell.its good but uncomfortable particularly I used to work where i helped people with mental health and housing issues so this hit me hard and even without my working background its intense. Great performances all round but something I need to be in the right frame of mind for and I want to get my friends to watch it who had not got round to seeing it in the cinema.

This is the DC universe in a nutshell . Dark , foreboding , twisted in reality where the villain or hero is of the same mold .

And why I could never see this unique take or version of the Joker being used in the wider DC Batman universe .

I remember watching this in the cinema near my birthday and found it intense. My other half has bought this for me for valentines day. And we have just finished watching it. Bloody hell.its good but uncomfortable particularly I used to work where i helped people with mental health and housing issues so this hit me hard and even without my working background its intense. Great performances all round but something I need to be in the right frame of mind for and I want to get my friends to watch it who had not got round to seeing it in the cinema.

I went to see this film at the Glasgow Science Centre a IMAX Screen to watch this movie with my son....he loves the Dark Knight trilogy anyway...all i can say is this... it was the worst movie l have ever watched in years if not this decade....All about a man living in poverty with his mother going through a mental breakdown then loses his job.....l will never lay my eyes on this film ever again......and reading between the lines...this film gave Joaquin Phoenix the chance to actually play out his own mindset

Agree with Milano.
Honestly, I was bored.
It was one of those films where I felt nothing for the characters and wasn’t bothered by what happened to them.

Wow! Reading the reviews seems like this film was either a love or hate

We went to see this in Aberdeen Cineworld and I was absolutely glued to the screen!

I know Joaquin is a bit off his head and eccentric in his own right...but the acting in this film was absolutely top notch. We both enjoyed this film so much, and it just shows what could happen when someone, that is literally asking for help, ends up in the state he’s in due to his mental health. We enjoyed it that much we have also purchased it on 4K (True 4K) and will be sitting to watch it when I get home from Offshore.

I would give this film a 10 - fantastic movie

I think you’re right Lee - it’s a marmite film.
I cried at the ends of End Game and GotgG 2 because I was invested in the characters.
This just didn’t move me at all.

This blew Endgame out of the water for me, which was rather disappointing compared to Infinity war and a bit predictable like many of the films in the saga.

Ironically Joker turned out to be more immersive than seeing 40 superheroes on screen.

Incredible film misunderstood by many an insight into mental health but appreciate if people where disappointed if they expected anything to do superheroes.I thought it was one of the best films I have seen for a long time although very dark and a taboo subject that needs much more intention by all..

It’s great see some very thoughtful and insightful comments in here and it just shows you the power of cinema which is why most of us are here right? ;)

A watch once kind of a movie not a keeper.
I must admit when I finished watching I thought, 'man that was epic, I won't need to see that again'. Then I start talking about and recommending it to everyone and I'm like damnnnn, fire it up!!!

But I'll wait for the 4K classifieds to drop in price!

Very predictable plot, I knew the ending before the halfway mark.

You sound surprised by that :rotfl: Kind of obvious how it was going to turn out before pressing play!

Not a film that made me feel good but once it comes down in price in an offer definitely picking up.

Please, go away. Your like that Oscar winning film, what's it called....Parasite?
because if everyone did what you do we would not have any films to watch. Feel proud and big all you want but your a disgrace. Be gentle ? No ta.
hope you get done by the police.
ive bought over 500 discs and enjoy them all. Not compressed , and I am proud that a percentage goes back to the industry so I can enjoy films for many more years. You’d complain no doubt if the industry collapses tomorrow. You make me sick
Shove it!
Pirate copy? Not cool:thumbsdow
Youre obviously looking for attention and youve got it. Pretty sure youre breaking forum rules there.
And everyone quoted him so more of the pirate word going round. ;)
Post quoting him deleted.

Watched it tonight on Blu-ray for the first time and thought it was excellent. After reading some reviews I was dreading it, but was glued to the screen. Uncomfortable at times certainly

It may well be a game changer to those who say so. But also, it is not always the first action that causes the change. Rosa Parks was not the first person or even the first woman to protest segregation by not giving up her seat. Joker maybe following in the tradition of the films you mentioned previously but "maybe" Joker is the one that actually causes change. I'm not optimistic but it is a possibility. Maybe someone watches this and sees a bit of Arthur in themselves and resolves to talk to someone and deal with it before it does get out of hand.

Fair point, I can't dispute the fact that there might be a personal connection for most people. And you're right, if Joker does indeed help people reflect and transform their own lives for the better, then perhaps there will be some merit to it's almost unanimous praise.

You are looking at it purely as a fan of the Joker. I think the rest of us may be looking at this more as a study of human nature, the failure of systems, and the nerosis of Arthur Fleck. What's interesting and frightening is that this perfect storm of events isn't even uncommon. The Joker for many of us turns out to be a great vehicle for exploring those themes.

Sure thing, and I agree I come at it from a different perspective and you're right, there is an uncomfortable reality to the world in which Joker depicts that mirrors our own. That being said, there much much more skilfully made films which depict the themes you mention, and I suspect, and I really don't want to sound snobby or anything, that most of the people who have seen Joker, haven't even seen those films.

Can't argue with anything you've said there. However, personally i could have easily done without the Batman/DC Universe nods/theories etc. I think its kind of silly to focus on those aspects personally.

Lol, totally, and I somewhat regret writing that as it didn't really have anything to do with nowt really. I guess I was just trying my best to illustrate the type of approach a more talented team should have taken.

I think the performance is a LOT better than the film itself (the director's previous films have been almost all terrible) but what ultimately elevates Joker for me is the fact that it IS significantly deeper than the vast majority of cinema these days and, if it's helping hundreds of thousands of teenagers empathise and/or find some catharsis with Arthur's isolation, then that can only be a good thing.

Agreed, Pheonix deserves the plaudits, without a doubt and he definitely helps elevate the film, but that's not always enough for me to overlook the other flaws. But yeah, like yourself and @Coulson say, if this does more good for people than harm (and god knows we need more good , then I probably have no place slagging it off.

Sure thing, and I agree I come at it from a different perspective and you're right, there is an uncomfortable reality to the world in which Joker depicts that mirrors our own. That being said, there much much more skilfully made films which depict the themes you mention, and I suspect, and I really don't want to sound snobby or anything, that most of the people who have seen Joker, haven't even seen those films.

That's interesting. Because i came to the joker as a comic book movie fan but left recognising its real world themes. A bit like Dark Knight Rises in fact.

I am now interested in watching these other films that depict real world themes more skillfully as i am generally a lover of movies that tell stories skillfully. So please let me know those films so i can add to my watch list. Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom