Wow , now this is some achievement to take what is a comic book villian and unpack it and strip it back into the pure phycosis of said individual so the viewer is unsure what is real and what is projection .

Can't really say I liked it due to the dark nature of the subject material and how one is lost and dismissed in a failing system. But I really admire it for the Director/writer and performance, and indeed score that all came together to create something much more than a DC origin story . It certainly leaves an impression on one in many aspects .

The UHD BD is reference in both PQ and soundstage with Atmos mix.

It does crib a lil on some great films but in many respects it out performs them .

9/10 for me .

Wow , now this is some achievement to take what is a comic book villian and unpack it and strip it back into the pure phycosis of said individual so the viewer is unsure what is real and what is projection .

Can't really say I liked it due to the dark nature of the subject material and how one is lost and dismissed in a failing system. But I really admire it for the Director/writer and performance, and indeed score that all came together to create something much more than a DC origin story . It certainly leaves an impression on one in many aspects .

The UHD BD is reference in both PQ and soundstage with Atmos mix.

It does crib a lil on some great films but in many respects it out performs them .

9/10 for me .
So you didnt like it but its a 9/10?! :D

Watched it last night on my 4K projector in Atmos.
Sound was fantastic and was the picture.
The film itself was very enjoyable and Phoenix performance was amazing.

One thing that did bother me though was the time line...

SPOILER ALERT

The joker was clearly in his 40's and Bruce Wayne was about 10 in the film.
Now jumping forward in time, Bruce becomes Batman and is about 40+, so another 30+ years into the future from when this film was set, which will make Joker a 70+ year old grandad when he fights batman.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched it last night on my 4K projector in Atmos.
Sound was fantastic and was the picture.
The film itself was very enjoyable and Phoenix performance was amazing.

One thing that did bother me though was the time line...

SPOILER ALERT
The joker was clearly in his 40's and Bruce Wayne was about 10 in the film.
Now jumping forward in time, Bruce becomes Batman and is about 40+, so another 30+ years into the future from when this film was set, which will make Joker a 70+ year old grandad when he fights batman.

Yeah I was thinking that too. The only trouble with Phoenix in this role is he's clearly a bit too old for the part. But why would Bruce only become Batman when he's 40+? Look at TDK trilogy...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I was thinking that too. The only trouble with Phoenix in this role is he's clearly a bit too old for the part. But why would Bruce only become Batman when he's 40+? Look at TDK trilogy...

He may not be able to move his unique take of the Joker into the Barman universe as is. but there is a lot of wriggle room in the timeline for one or two more joker films to be made . If that is the actor and director wants to do so . Also considering the basis of this adaptation it leaves the prospect open that anyone can take the helm of the Joker in the Barman timeline .

He may not be able to move his unique take of the Joker into the Barman universe as is. but there is a lot of wriggle room in the timeline for one or two more joker films to be made . If that is the actor and director wants to do so . Also considering the basis of this adaptation it leaves the prospect open that anyone can take the helm of the Joker in the Barman timeline .
Well theres definitely a sequel in the offing... I just hope they keep up the standard set.

I got my Rental copy of Joker UHD today from Cinema Paradiso must say I thought the movie was outstanding and that Joaquin Phoenix certainly deserved the Oscar.

Something strange though with the disk, setup on audio stated Atmos was available but when selected it would only displayed a DD surround option on my Denon X4500 avr. If I checked what audio options were available on the avr for the disc there was no Atmos option available.

Anyone else having a similar issue. The sound was great but no native Atmos. :(
watched last night mate, and the 4500 picked up atmos right off the bat! i have a ub820, maybe its the UHD player?

Thanks Umar, I have a Panny UB700 player and it picks up Atmos on all the other Atmos discs ok, so am at a loss why it does not pick it up on this one. I double checked yesterday before I sent the disc back to CP and it shows Atmos is selected on the pop up menu on the disc but not picked up by the Denon X4500.

Strange

Thanks Umar, I have a Panny UB700 player and it picks up Atmos on all the other Atmos discs ok, so am at a loss why it does not pick it up on this one. I double checked yesterday before I sent the disc back to CP and it shows Atmos is selected on the pop up menu on the disc but not picked up by the Denon X4500.

Strange
Very odd, I can only think of the player as being the source issue not the amp... and it picks up all other discs fine?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom