Jumanji: The Next Level Review & Comments

Watched in 4DX at cineworld with my boys aged 7 and 9 and we loved it. Wasn't too many pop out 3D moments and it appears there is going to be another one with the ending

i will never tire looking at Karen Gillan, the first one was surprising fun even if it is a little predictable, once the basic (but original) premise has been established but does what it says on the tin...

The main change works extremely well in making the film not look like a rehash of part one.
"Arguably" not quite as funny or exciting as the first (saying that it has great set pieces, it's just that I didn't quite feel the sense of peril at least until half way through the film ;)) But it has the same heart and that's what carried it through for me. I would definitely get the disc.

Last edited by a moderator:
saw this yesterday in 2D at the new dolby cinema at the odeon luxe at Birmingham

great fun and for me a solid 8

the picture , sound and overall environment of the dolby cinema an easy 10 - I am lucky in that I live 3 miles from an imax screen but I was really impressed with this new screen experience

My wife and I saw this last night, agree with everything that has been said so far (especially the bit about Karen Gillan!) A really rock solid second outing and some great set pieces. It looks like they had a lot of fun making it and if they indeed did then that comes across on screen. Roll on the next one, a good set up for another movie, which I know we will both go and see. 7/10 for me.

Thanks for the review @Casimir Harlow

Honestly had no intention of going to watch this, happy to wait for 4K UHD. But my son mentioned he'd like to see it, and as we enjoyed the first (loved the Atmos track, especially when they respawned!), we will now go. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the review @Casimir Harlow

Honestly had no intention of going to watch this, happy to wait for 4K UHD. But my son mentioned he'd like to see it, and as we enjoyed the first (loved the Atmos track, especially when they respawned!), we will now go. :thumbsup:
I saw this at a Cinema with Dolby Atmos (not the London Dolby Cinema, that's (c**p) not very good). Let's just say that it still works ;)

I saw this at a Cinema with Dolby Atmos (not the London Dolby Cinema, that's (c**p) not very good). Let's just say that it still works ;)
Can't seem to find which screen at Cineworld Watford has Atmos? Maybe not looking hard enough? I assume it is the IMAX screen?

Have sent them an email asking the question, but am sure someone on here can answer quicker..... @SteveAWOL ;)

Can't seem to find which screen at Cineworld Watford has Atmos? Maybe not looking hard enough? I assume it is the IMAX screen?

Have sent them an email asking the question, but am sure someone on here can answer quicker..... @SteveAWOL ;)
IMAX has a very nice surround system but the 2D Superscreen has the Dolby Atmos.
HtH :)

There’s no Dolby Atmos system at Watford Cineworld, for that you’ll have to head up the road to Hemel Hempstead where they have it installed in screens 2 (aka Superscreen) and 3 (fka IMPACT when the multiplex was run by Empire).

However the IMAX with Laser screen at Watford does have 4 overhead channels, which can sound better than Atmos version depending upon how the DCPs have been mixed.

There’s no Dolby Atmos system at Watford Cineworld, for that you’ll have to head up the road to Hemel Hempstead where they have it installed in screens 2 (aka Superscreen) and 3 (fka IMPACT when the multiplex was run by Empire).

However the IMAX with Laser screen at Watford does have 4 overhead channels, which can sound better than Atmos version depending upon how the DCPs have been mixed.

See! I knew I could rely on your expert knowledge mate, Thanks.

Oh outside London lol.
I haven’t trekked into London for a movie since Waterloo started showing the LieMAX 2K version of films instead of 70mm IMAX prints; have they announced when they are getting upgraded to IMAX with Laser 4K projectors?

I went to Leicester Square Odeon for The Return of the King & V For Vendetta but was so disappointed to discover that the actual screen was no bigger than my local multiplex I didn’t see any point in splashing out £25 on Royal Circle seats again!

Judging by feedback on AVF the Dolby Cinema refit at Leicester Square has been hamstrung by the architecture of the auditorium and I’d be better off heading up to the new installation at Broadway Plaza in Birmingham.

I haven’t trekked into London for a movie since Waterloo started showing the LieMAX 2K version of films instead of 70mm IMAX prints; have they announced when they are getting upgraded to IMAX with Laser 4K projectors?

I went to Leicester Square Odeon for The Return of the King & V For Vendetta but was so disappointed to discover that the actual screen was no bigger than my local multiplex I didn’t see any point in splashing out £25 on Royal Circle seats again!

Judging by feedback on AVF the Dolby Cinema refit at Leicester Square has been hamstrung by the architecture of the auditorium and I’d be better off heading up to the new installation at Broadway Plaza in Birmingham.
The BFI is decent, huge screen but some of it not used as I was informed here on the forums. The Cinemax IMAX is great, slightly smaller but all of it is used. IMAX sound is pretty immersive and depending on the film audio mix, it is at least as good and sometimes better than the Atmos mix. The Superscreen screen size is similar to LSQ but with properly functioning Atmos. It's a sad day when a non Dolby Cinema has better Atmos than the official Dolby Cinema. Especially if you have heard the private Dolby Cinema at their HQ. It even made the Rise of Skywalker look interesting and that's almost impossible lol.

Been to the BFI a few times and enjoyed each occasion. Dunkirk was a problem though as the projectionist could not get the film into the projector, and at around £30k, they couldn't risk it! So we had to make do with the digital version and free tickets for later.

Also been to the Science Museum which is brilliant and a lot less crowded than the BFI.

The new Cineworld IMAX in York is just 5 mins away from my place. Planning to watch it a week on Sunday.

Just been to see with wife and kids. None of the Oscar chasing misery on display here, just bloody good silver screen entertainment, also great to see Glover and Devito back on screen for us older ones! Great fun.

Just been to see with wife and kids. None of the Oscar chasing misery on display here, just bloody good silver screen entertainment, also great to see Glover and Devito back on screen for us older ones! Great fun.

I did love those two additions although I do kinda have a soft spot for Glover, I really do like his roles.

I did love those two additions although I do kinda have a soft spot for Glover, I really do like his roles.

Now I'm over 50 I do like to say his most famous line a lot as I really do feel I am for a lot of things I try and do.

Didn't work for me. I loved the last one (a 9 for me and I still watch it about every two months with the kids, who are 9 and 11).

This just didn't click. I love the characters and the setting so much. Perhaps it was the overly contorted excuse to get to the place (could have got there in half the time, easily).
I also really didn't see the need for it to make itself anything more than a PG. Some really mindless violence, esp that one scene when the big guys goes at a large group for absolutely no reason and no positive outcome. Annoyed me that the kids got to see that violence, even thought its 'comedy'. Yes parenting.......

Sorry didn't work for me and never seeing it again would be too soon.
I'd watch the last one this weekend for the 10th time in a heartbeat.

Didn't click with me either. Felt the previous movie was better with funnier lines. This just felt a bit of the same with nothing new enough to make it stand out. CGI was very impressive.

Not quite as good as the previous movie.

Some observations:

The Rock playing Danny DeVito went on for far too long. He's a grouchy curmudgeon, yes, we get it, but the Rock doesn't shine in films where he's not a likeable character. I felt he was effectively sidelined for most of the film as a result. It took Jack Black and Karen Gillan to land the first half for me. The Rock punching all those people for no reason left a sour taste.

The action scenes were good, especially the mandrill / rope bridge bit.

It felt a bit aimless and unfocused compared to the last effort (which I like a lot). The overacting woman in the oasis town, for instance. In fact, the whole oasis town was a bit rubbish.

My youngest felt like the trailer misled us, you distinctly hear Nigel saying "This time not all of you will leave the game alive". That was not in the film and I really thought they were going to address a zero-life count. Pah.

The stupid eunuch joke felt really out of place. There was no need for it.

My eldest and I both had the same thought about the villain being a playable character as you get to see his strengths and weaknesses at the end. That could have been an interesting direction for the franchise to take.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom