Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Review & Comments

I took the boy to see this and half way through he said, haven't we already seen this dad? sums it up!
Yes, it was quite incredible in parts really. I was staggered about how much of Lost World was recycled here. Then it had the audacity to treat it as something new to come with the tease of
dinosaurs rampaging through the western world. This didn't happen previously in San Diego then?;)

Or this at the end of JP3?

Last edited:
@Sam Crow @rfield @jdevil can I ask please why you didn't think to write a user review?
I'm wondering whether there aren't enough signposts here to point to writing user reviews.
Or whether there is no motivation.
Any help you can give as to what we're doing wrong would be appreciated.

User review added :).

I do think there is a redundancy issue on the forums that may explain why people aren't submitting URs. There's just so many places to post your thoughts on a film:
  • The thread for the movie (usually started by @raigraphixs months in advance, and featuring a rating poll)
  • The official review thread for the movie (containing the AVF review) which is added when the film is released.
  • The 'what I watched last night thread'.
  • The 'spoiler' thread (if applicable).
Then later there are also threads for the bluray and UHDs of the film. People tend to post where they think they will get the most feedback and interaction from their peers, so they tend to just give their unpolished thoughts there and leave it at that.

Usually the metacritic score (the metascore - not user score) is very unrealistically positive but even they gave this a collective 52/100. Methinks the reviewer would report a pile of dog sh*t smells like roses.

Please don't report posts just because you disagree with them.
Also, no need for the attack on the reviewer thank you. A review is always one person's opinion which you are free to disagree with, but in a civilised manner.

Last edited:
Usually the metacritic score (the metascore - not user score) is very unrealistically positive but even they gave this a collective 52/100. Methinks the reviewer would report a pile of dog sh*t smells like roses.
Perhaps you should return to reddit. Things are a little more civilised here. Nothing wrong with disagreeing with the review, perhaps you could detail your contrasting opinion?

I’m usually pretty open minded when it comes to watching your average popcorn movies.
Either I really enjoy them, and end up buying them; or I just never bother with them again.

Of all the other films in the series. The original speaks volumes for itself; Lost world and JP3 were enjoyable movies (while nowhere near as good as the original) and I was expecting to dislike the previous Jurassic World, but extremely enjoyed it.

But this was total crap.

I just felt the majority of the movie was a compilation of “let’s reshoot some scenes from the previous movies - but with much better effects - and hope nobody notices”
As for the ending. Who thought that up, Michael Bay?

Rarely I’ll stoop so far as to bother giving out such a low score.
But I’ll give this a (generous) 4/10.

I'll wait for the (hopefully) 3D BD platter to arrive. But what it does show on this thread is that no matter how CGI has matured and evolved over the years.... story is king.

Watched this last night and agree with the reviewer.

I quite enjoyed it and would give it 8/10. Looking forward to where they are going with this.....

We watched it at Cineworld Castleford in 4DX.....the experience was awesome!! We thoroughly enjoyed the film, the 4DX experience only enhanced it. The motion seats were perfectly synchronised to the film, and was moving around as if being thrashed during the dinosaur flight scenes. There was a scent of the forest during long shots of the forest, plenty of water sprays during wet scenes, wind during windy scenes and another effect on top of the head (from a blow of air) when the dinosaurs were flying on top of the heads....giving a similar experience.

For the film, I would give 8/10......I think the next one will be even better (has the potential to be, with dinosaurs let loose in the cities).

A bit of 4DX blurb:

4DX - Be in the movie
Providing a revolutionary cinematic experience which stimulates all five senses, the 4DX includes high-tech motion seats and special effects including wind, fog, lightning, bubbles, water, rain and scents, in both 2D and 3D formats. These effects work in perfect synchronicity with the action on screen – creating the most unmissable and exhilarating cinematic experience yet.

Last edited:
We watched it at Cineworld Castleford in 4DX.....the experience was awesome!! We thoroughly enjoyed the film, the 4DX experience only enhanced it. The motion seats were perfectly synchronised to the film, and was moving around as if being thrashed during the dinosaur flight scenes. There was a scent of the forest during long shots of the forest, plenty of water sprays during wet scenes, wind during windy scenes and another effect on top of the head (from a blow of air) when the dinosaurs were flying on top of the heads....giving a similar experience.

For the film, I would give 8/10......I think the next one will be even better (has the potential to be, with dinosaurs let loose in the cities).

A bit of 4DX blurb:

4DX - Be in the movie
Providing a revolutionary cinematic experience which stimulates all five senses, the 4DX includes high-tech motion seats and special effects including wind, fog, lightning, bubbles, water, rain and scents, in both 2D and 3D formats. These effects work in perfect synchronicity with the action on screen – creating the most unmissable and exhilarating cinematic experience yet.
This sounds like an advert....

Just back from seeing this in IMAX 3 D with the kid

He's 10 and loved it I'm not and didn't

5/10 ......some great if somewhat derivative set pieces held together by a tissue paper plot.

Saw this earlier with my 2 daughters (aged 12 & 15). We enjoyed it, not the best film I've ever seen but I didn't expect it to be. It never dragged for me and I thought it was much better than the last one as well.

I kept nodding off
No surprises at all
I like the official reviews thou
Then I make up my own mind

Saw it last night with the Mrs and mother in law although entertaining enough and started off well but it was hard to beat the last movie with such a big bad monster killing machine.. adominus rex.. and fact that it was 1st jurrassic film for many yrs... ending left open to sequels which could be good... just about squeezed a 6/10 in my eyes where as the previous film 9 /10 absolutely loved it

Simply can't agree with the 8/10 for this movie

There is nothing new here, its all been done before, and better, in the previous films

@Sam Crow @rfield @jdevil thanks for replying.

That doesn't discount *your* opinion, though. People, I have found, like to read the reviews of other members rather than professional reviewers.

If you're confident enough to write a post, you'll be fine in a user review. We don't ask that you write a ton of stuff. Just the same amount as you'd do in a post, really.

Which is a good reason to write your own user review :)

User reviews don't generate new threads. They have comments under them, but are not new entities in the thread list.

Another advantage in writing a user review is that your overall scores are averaged to create an average AVForums members' score.

May also look at having a weekly prize draw for user review writers.

I liked how you asked forum members to Feedback on How to improve things.

Like many, I considered doing a review for a fraction of a second but this is not a movie worth reviewing (a tv or gadget is)

Since our member score is also used and averaged, I recommend the following as Potential improvements:
1. Consider a poll where we can score the movie alongside each movie review
2. Variation of 1 where you score movie based on 3-5 criteria (story, acting, enjoyment, picture, sound,..)
3. Variation of 1 again. When we score, we just enter 1 line on a. What we liked d. What we hated or disliked c. Anything else

Option 2 is the best if categories are right (which forum members can help define, could be fun). You getting an overall score calculated from sub categories

For what is worth, I expected a 5/10 movie and was surprised by a 7/10 for the new direction they tried to give...
Without spoiler, the future direction is interesting but they have to give it to someone fresh (Director) and potential change all the actors and even the angle...from a teenager perspective for exemple...and less indiana Jones..not realistic. Think black panther fresh.

Watched this today, 6/10 for me, the action scenes were very good but at times the whole thing gets a little cheesy for me, tone down the cheese and it could have been an 8/10.

One big plus for me was this was my first taste of a 4DX showing, absolutely loved it, didn't realise the seats moved as much as they did and overall it was a really pleasing experience that I thought added alot to this type of film.

Saw this yesterday with the family; me, wife and two boys (6 & 9). It was an enjoyable popcorn movie and nothing more. I don't know what people are expecting from these movies by now other than action and some thrills. To a certain extent these are B movies, like Rampage earlier this year. Its big monsters killing each other and humans. The first JP had some heart but then the ending in that was also very "convenient" when the T-Rex showed up, so similar with this one and the "just in the nick of time" dino appearances.

The trailers showed far too much and gave far too much away, it was feeling like I was ticking off all the scenes I had seen and not yet seen. Even when close to the end of the film my youngest said "Dad where's the mossasaur scene" from the trailer?

It was enjoyable, the island / volcano scenes were good but ultimately a re-hash of the Lost World. The mansion part of the movie could've been scarier and again the trailer spoiled lots of it.

I can't believe some of the age of the kids that were at our showing. Some parents had brought 2 and 3 year olds who had no clue what was going on, nor any clue to stay quiet. It was the worst cinema experience I've had in a while with a constant stream of kids to the bathroom and young kids (and even adults) talking at full volume !! Unfortunately it did ruin some of the tension that the film was trying to build. It certainly helped our kids appreciate how cool it is to have a projector and big screen at home !!

Probably 6/10 for me, or maybe up to 7/10 when I watch it at home without the distractions

Took the family over the weekend and we all rather enjoyed it. It was good clean fun, but at the top end of a 12a certificate as it got quite intense in places.

I thought the beginning was really promising, but got a bit formulaic later, but a great popcorn movie nonetheless.

Some of the cinematography was outstanding, and more than anything else, at least it wasn't yet another flipping superhero movie.

7.5/10

I can't believe some of the age of the kids that were at our showing. Some parents had brought 2 and 3 year olds who had no clue what was going on, nor any clue to stay quiet. It was the worst cinema experience I've had in a while with a constant stream of kids to the bathroom and young kids (and even adults) talking at full volume !! Unfortunately it did ruin some of the tension that the film was trying to build. It certainly helped our kids appreciate how cool it is to have a projector and big screen at home !!

this is why I always book to go to an early am show when hardly anyone is at the cinema and the chavs are still in bed sleeping off their pizzas and booze from the night before.

11am I went about 10 other people in the local IMAX all of whom had the same approach as me.

when we came out at 1.30pm the foyer was full of the people you describe waiting for the next show

this is why I always book to go to an early am show when hardly anyone is at the cinema and the chavs are still in bed sleeping off their pizzas and booze from the night before.

11am I went about 10 other people in the local IMAX all of whom had the same approach as me.

when we came out at 1.30pm the foyer was full of the people you describe waiting for the next show
It was a 10am showing :rotfl:

It wasn't?

It might as well have been, given the ridiculous character armour and the power set of the 'main' dinosaurs. It was straight out of a comic book.
I find the whole concept of weaponising a dinosaur totally pointless and ridiculous beyond belief

Huge easy target taken out by a tank....one of those things made of metal!
If they could be rounded up and caged in about 10 mins how long would they last in as battlefield?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom