Justice League Dark: Apokolips War Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Is there a list of movies to watch before this?

Well there are fifteen in the DC Animated Movie Universe:

1. Justice League: Flashpoint Paradox
2. Justice League: War

3. Son of Batman
4. Justice League: Throne of Atlantis
5. Batman vs. Robin
6. Batman: Bad Blood
7. Justice League vs. Teen Titans
8. Justice League Dark
9. Teen Titans: The Judas Contract
10. Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay
11. The Death of Superman
12. Reign of the Superman

13. Batman: Hush
14. Wonder Woman: Bloodlines

Really, you should watch all of them before this one, but if you're looking for a minimum, the ones I've highlighted in bold. And at the very very least, Flashpoint, War and Dark. Then this one.

Flashpoint sets the timeline, War introduces Darkseid with the first clash, the Batman ones introduce Batman's son, Teen Titans ones develop the Raven angle, Suicide Squad introduces Harley and her motley crew, and the Superman ones re-introduce Darkseid's scheming behind the scenes.

Probably the most disposable ones are Hush and Bloodlines, although they happen to be very good.

Apple have a few of these in 4K (in the UK we didn't even get BD releases for all, let alone the 4K that the US got).

If only their live action movies were as good as their animation ones. Saw all the previous ones, and can't wait to see this one once it comes out in the uk. I believe it's like 17-18 May or so...

Update: Watched it today, because apparently it's out on digital and it's the blu-ray coming on 18 :) Loved it, especially as it ties in to the previous movies so well. Oh man, just why can't they get the writers for animated movies and use them for live action movies...

Last edited:
Saw this last night and it is excellent overall. Definitely one of the very best - regardless of pandemic mercy scores of late.
One point, @Casimir Harlow
Cyborg unwittingly transmitted to Darkseid the gang's intended war plans, as you see Darkseid viewing what Cyborg does through his implant. Check out 5:20 onward. Therefore, Darkseid didn't predict anything.
That end scene is so Rogue One memory recall-tastic mate!!

Last edited:
Saw this last night and it is excellent overall. Definitely one of the very best - regardless of pandemic mercy scores of late.
One point, @Casimir Harlow
Cyborg unwittingly transmitted to Darkseid the gang's intended war plans, as you see Darkseid viewing what Cyborg does through his implant. Check out 5:20 onward. Therefore, Darkseid didn't predict anything.
That end scene is so Rogue One memory recall-tastic mate!!

Quite right, it was *very* Endgame in that respect; I’ll try and make it clearer but still ambiguous in the review.

Well there are fifteen in the DC Animated Movie Universe:

1. Justice League: Flashpoint Paradox
2. Justice League: War

3. Son of Batman
4. Justice League: Throne of Atlantis
5. Batman vs. Robin
6. Batman: Bad Blood
7. Justice League vs. Teen Titans
8. Justice League Dark
9. Teen Titans: The Judas Contract
10. Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay
11. The Death of Superman
12. Reign of the Superman

13. Batman: Hush
14. Wonder Woman: Bloodlines

Really, you should watch all of them before this one, but if you're looking for a minimum, the ones I've highlighted in bold. And at the very very least, Flashpoint, War and Dark. Then this one.

Flashpoint sets the timeline, War introduces Darkseid with the first clash, the Batman ones introduce Batman's son, Teen Titans ones develop the Raven angle, Suicide Squad introduces Harley and her motley crew, and the Superman ones re-introduce Darkseid's scheming behind the scenes.

Probably the most disposable ones are Hush and Bloodlines, although they happen to be very good.

Apple have a few of these in 4K (in the UK we didn't even get BD releases for all, let alone the 4K that the US got).
Thanks Cas.
From what I've heard this is basically the animated version of DC's comic reset of the New 52. I don't read much anymore but I have seen quite a few of these. I've been wanting to watch the Death/Reign Superman films for a while now. Maybe this will make me finally watch them.

Sounds good.

Where can one watch these 15 movies @Casimir Harlow?

I'm very much a physical media person, but I do make exceptions in this case, in a large part because I think the 4K iTunes/Apple copies are probably damn near as good as the physical Blu-ray Discs which are all that are available in the UK (and, even then, several titles - like the integral JL: War - are not available at all in the UK except digitally).

So I'd actually just pick up as many as you can from Apple. They're about £4-8 each, and the ones that are available in 4K, you get in 4K at no extra cost.

There's a 30 film US Blu-ray set which looks gorgeous but is literally hundreds of pounds. So that's a bit more of a lottery dream.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom