JVC DLA-HD1/HD100 Owners' Thread

Sorry to bump up this thread.....

I am no novice in the basic 'theory' of AV entertainemnt but at the same time my knowledge isnt that deep, so sorry if my questiosn appear a bit wierd!

I have had my HD1 fitted about 18 months now and been impressed with the PQ though the bulb life is rather low for various reasons...

Anyway recently bought the Oppo and there has been discussion about 1:1 mapping with both flat screens and projectors.

Obviously I can see my PJ is accepting/receiving a 1080P but would like to know if my PJ is set to 1:1 mapping, or over/underscan?

Depending on my sources (V+, Arcam DV139, Oppo 83, HTPC) the picture seems to vary slightly in both size and placement on the screen - so any advice comments would be appreciated.

Also, what settings are people using? to be honest, playing witht he calibration discs when I first got my PJ, the picture didnt really need to appear to need tweaking.

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

There is no 1:1 mapping setting with the HD1.

I am assuming though that as long as "masking" is set to off that this is essentially what you are getting.

I did not notice any issues with the Oppo 83 - but - because my screen is not of perfect dimensions I have the picture zoomed in a bit so it projects over the screen edges to get the height right.

I too have noticed the picture can have different dimensions with different sources (Sky for one) but am not sure why this is.

As for settings, I had a go a calibrating mine with a probe and software, but this will be room dependent and will change as the lamp ages, but from what I found the "middle" picture setting wasn't too far out from 65K. I think contrast and brightness may have been tweaked a notch or 2 also.

One thing that's definitely worth checking though is pixel alignment as I certainly had to tweak mine.

I found the best screen to use is in the hidden menu (press up, down, right, left, enter) it's a cross hatch but with separate red, blue and green segments so its easier to see alignment between the colours - give it a go.

Hope that helps...

As a recent purchaser of a second hand HD1 with about 1150 hours on the lamp (bought on these forums!), I'm curious as to whether there are any firmware updates that can be applied? Does anyone know? JVC themselves say they don't issue downloads to consumers. So does anyone on here have any knowledge on this?

Good thread Mean Dorris!

They did issue firmware updates for the HD350 (to improve the remote control IR sensitivity) and the HD750 (to get the CMS working properly), which could be installed by users via the mini USB socket on the side. However, I don't recall seeing any firmware updates mentioned for the HD1. Is there a particular issue you're having, or just the hope that it would be turned into an X9 via a download?;)

As a recent purchaser of a second hand HD1 with about 1150 hours on the lamp (bought on these forums!), I'm curious as to whether there are any firmware updates that can be applied? Does anyone know? JVC themselves say they don't issue downloads to consumers. So does anyone on here have any knowledge on this?

There were two updates for the HD1 (versions 61 and 62), but these were only generally distributed to dealers as they were a bit tricky to carry out. You can get them if you know the right people ;)

Last edited:
There were two updates for the HD1 (versions 61 and 62), but these were only generally distributed to dealers as they were a bit tricky to carry out. You can get them if you know the right people ;)

What did they address/add/fix?

To find out your current firmware press "UP, DOWN, RIGHT, LEFT, Enter" really fast to enter the service menu. As GaryB said the latest was 62.

You need a serial cable (RS232) that you connect to your PJ and a PC running XP. Then you follow the JVC instructions.

Attached are the instructions from JVC for version 61 - thats all I have although i'm sure someone can sort you out with 62 - the process is the same.

Not sure I should give it out but if I upset anyone I will of course remove (GaryB?).

Attachments

• hd1_update.pdf
    41.4 KB · Views: 678
Very interesting. Will check tonight. My screen arrived today, so with a bit of luck, but the middle of this evening I hope to be fully up and running! Can't wait to get it home!

What did they address/add/fix?

In addition to the v61 fixes in the doc posted by T0M above, v62 adds:

1. Eliminated occasional "Frequency of input signal is out of range" messages with 480p/576p Component signals.

2. Eliminated occasional Black and White pictures with PAL signals through the Video or S-Video inputs.

3. Chroma levels on Video, S-Video and Component inputs have been reduced.

willharris10, if you want a copy of v62, PM me your email address (assuming it can accept incoming exe files).

In addition to the v61 fixes in the doc posted by T0M above, v62 adds:

1. Eliminated occasional "Frequency of input signal is out of range" messages with 480p/576p Component signals.

2. Eliminated occasional Black and White pictures with PAL signals through the Video or S-Video inputs.

3. Chroma levels on Video, S-Video and Component inputs have been reduced.

willharris10, if you want a copy of v62, PM me your email address (assuming it can accept incoming exe files).

Done. Be interested to see if updating it (assuming I'm not on 62 at the moment) helps with respect to it not accepting 1080p24 from the BD of Soloman Kane. Takes 1080p60 but not 24. Very odd.

Thanks GaryB!

Got it. Thanks GaryB. Didn't realise you worked for JVC. I rang them yesterday and they said they didn't let consumers install so I guess that should be translated to mean, they don't let "muppet consumers" install their own firmware updates. Only danger is I turn out to be a muppet! Will have to be careful then!! :)

Will, if you want to be really 'belt and braces' use a Laptop running on the mains and connect your JVC to a UPS incase of power cuts, but that's only because I already use a UPS with my HD350. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Naah, I plan to strap the JVC to my back and power it off a dynamo connected to an exercise bike. What happens if I stop pedalling halfway through the firmware update?

;)

Plan to just use an old laptop, null modem cable and errr, just plug the PJ into the mains? :eek:

Best to disable all power management and any virus software if it has any too.

Best to disable all power management and any virus software if it has any too.

I'll switch it all off. I would hope it will just work. It's a Dell Latitude D600 from 2002. Tends to just work. Have had the whole thing re-installed about 5 times. Backup and then hard drive re-formatted etc etc. Windows is a forever decaying OS.

Newer machines almost seem to be more trouble.

I'll switch it all off. I would hope it will just work. It's a Dell Latitude D600 from 2002. Tends to just work. Have had the whole thing re-installed about 5 times. Backup and then hard drive re-formatted etc etc. Windows is a forever decaying OS.

Newer machines almost seem to be more trouble.

You need an apple ;)

Will are you going to calibrate your new PJ ?

Will are you going to calibrate your new PJ ?

Yes. Planning to do it this evening by eye with Digital Video Essentials. I'm sure it could be improved upon, but I sort of have a philosophy on this, that as you tend to get used to just about anything over time, getting it 95% right is good enough for me. We all tend to spend thousands on that last 5% and generally I wonder whether we wouldn't be better off thinking laterally. Hence, black velvet on reflective surfaces to improve the darkness of the environment and hence the contrast ratio on screen. Stuff like that. Will be taking a leaf out of your book saying that!

Improving the room will give you the biggest improvement IMHO, but bear in mind you can rent an i1Pro for a week in the Chromapure power buy section (in the calibration sub forum). I just did my HD350 (and my VideoEQ Pro as I use for CMS), I'm really pleased with the end results. I am planing on adding further treatments to my room as well to further reduce reflections back to the screen.

However if you're happy just setting up by eye I'd recommend downloading the AVS HD709 disc. It's free, you burn it onto a DVD, but in AVCHD format, so it plays in HD as if it were a BluRay. I use the 'basic patterns' section to set up any display before I calibrate, I find it much better than the DVE disc (which I have anyway) for really getting the brightness spot on, which I think is the most important setting for a projector.

Improving the room will give you the biggest improvement IMHO, but bear in mind you can rent an i1Pro for a week in the Chromapure power buy section (in the calibration sub forum). I just did my HD350 (and my VideoEQ Pro as I use for CMS), I'm really pleased with the end results. I am planing on adding further treatments to my room as well to further reduce reflections back to the screen.

However if you're happy just setting up by eye I'd recommend downloading the AVS HD709 disc. It's free, you burn it onto a DVD, but in AVCHD format, so it plays in HD as if it were a BluRay. I use the 'basic patterns' section to set up any display before I calibrate, I find it much better than the DVE disc (which I have anyway) for really getting the brightness spot on, which I think is the most important setting for a projector.

Any links and guides for those with apples and little computing knowledge I fancy having a look at the brightness settings as I found I didn't get on with the disc settings and changed that through trial and error in the end. Plus that was some 200 hours ago

I think it's frowned upon to post links to other websites (I've had some posts editted after linking to AVS). The best I can say is look on AVS' calibration section then search for AVS HD709. The latest version is usually on the first post.

Yes. Planning to do it this evening by eye with Digital Video Essentials. I'm sure it could be improved upon, but I sort of have a philosophy on this, that as you tend to get used to just about anything over time, getting it 95% right is good enough for me. We all tend to spend thousands on that last 5% and generally I wonder whether we wouldn't be better off thinking laterally. Hence, black velvet on reflective surfaces to improve the darkness of the environment and hence the contrast ratio on screen. Stuff like that. Will be taking a leaf out of your book saying that!

Or Will, you could politely ask your friendly neighbourhood MeanDorris to pop down with his tripod i1 probe and his HFCR calibration software loaded laptop :D

Any links and guides for those with apples and little computing knowledge I fancy having a look at the brightness settings as I found I didn't get on with the disc settings and changed that through trial and error in the end. Plus that was some 200 hours ago

What are you after Adrian? I have the AVC disc and could run you off a copy if you like? There is also a good calibration guide for dummies thread on here somewhere - I'll find it in a sec...

Ah, here it is.

Last edited:
Thanks guys :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom