JVC DLA-HD1 Replacement

Elephant Man

Established Member
Reaction score
A power surge had damaged the motherboard on my projector JVC projector, my insurance have just asked me to send them a link for a like for like replacement. A link for the closest match. I personally want to buy the JCV DLA N5B. I may just send them a link. Any suggestion's?

It’s the base JVC seems fair to me on a new for old policy 🤔

The JVC HD1 was Released in March 2007 and Discontinued Jul 2009...

Have seen them sold on e-bay in the 200$-250$ price range and lower, so not sure what your insurance will look for in that regard.

Still have and use a HD1 and a HD100, but there is a very big step up in picture quality from these to the now Discontinued JVC X5x00 series, and the current native JVC 4K models...

You may try to send them a link to the projectorcentral information for the HD1 and the N5 and wait for a replay.....:thumbsup:

If you have a like for like replacement insurance then the N5 would be what I would go for. Don't accept anything else imo.

JVC do have cheaper DLP models, but you paid for a DILA machine and not a DLP projector, hence the N5 is the base choice to replace your HD1.

Update
Ok my insurance company just contacted me say that the current like for like is the JVC dla x7900 projector, they are offering me £4900

Update
Ok my insurance company just contacted me say that the current like for like is the JVC dla x7900 projector, they are offering me £4900

Take the funds and go for an N5 if you can. The 7900 is discontinued anyway.

Yep that is want I told them, they claim that their manager will contact me.

If we had that kind of insurance here in Denmark i would hope for a lightening strike, and exchange the VDC Marquee with a Christie Eclipse.

you should be happy, if you can get the funds for that one and negociate a good price on a N5 its a win win.

Will do, I did purchase this projector from this site over 12 years ago.

20200814_175853.jpg

Last edited:
They look really good in white. You can still see in the design this is the great grandchild of the HD1.
How does it compare?

Thats a huge upgrade right there, hope you will be able to close down the lightoutput enough on the N5, it will be significantly brighter fully closed on low lamp than the old one in full pop.

It is big lol

:D

I always find it a little bit funny when someone thinks the JVC Nx series are big/too big or hard to fit or install into their home cinema.

It is not that many years ago when many of us used 8"-9" CRT projectors.
They were a little bigger and needed some work to install correctly. (not to mention the low WAF factor;))

Sony G90 vs JVC HD1
IMG_0439.jpg

20200814_175853.jpg

I think the N5 looks like a really nice successor/replacement to the HD1, and when it comes to the picture quality with native 4K higher native contrast, lens memory, and everything else the N5 does better than the HD1, I think that size and upgrade look perfect. :thumbsup:

Hi @Elephant Man, I'm in a similar situation with my HD1 and looking at the N5 as a replacement, did you find a significant increase in brightness and picture quality ?

Out of curiosity, i also have an HD1, bought on these forums some years ago. I also have a projector lift in which the HD1 fits like a glove. I've thought of buying another second hand PJ to replace it but I'm blown away by the height of that N5. Do I need to allow for such a monster when thinking of a replacement? Is there anything - say 5 years old - that's a really great upgrade for the HD1 but not a great deal bigger?

Out of curiosity, i also have an HD1, bought on these forums some years ago. I also have a projector lift in which the HD1 fits like a glove. I've thought of buying another second hand PJ to replace it but I'm blown away by the height of that N5. Do I need to allow for such a monster when thinking of a replacement? Is there anything - say 5 years old - that's a really great upgrade for the HD1 but not a great deal bigger?
Yes somdthing like a good condition well calibrated X500 will get you 90% there.

It is a monster, I finally got both the JVC and my LG professionally calibrated. Go for a native 4K projector.

the N5 is the new gen with 4k basis. if looking for something akin to direct update from old HD1. then consider jvc X series from last 5 years eg x5000/x5500/x5900 or x7000 series or x9000 series...the challenge is you are looking 2nd hand and finding one :D those have them are keeping theirs the 2nd hand market for projectors is pretty stretched... supply demand.. more folks sitting at home watching movies and putting in projector setups or upgrading what they have ...for one of these :)

the HD1 is the grand daddy...i remember seeing first one in the country down where we are ... a room full of folk oogling how good looked with HD-DVD ! :D amazing how far JVC have taken that base design with all the subsequent models...

the N5 is the new gen with 4k basis. if looking for something akin to direct update from old HD1. then consider jvc X series from last 5 years eg x5000/x5500/x5900 or x7000 series or x9000 series...the challenge is you are looking 2nd hand and finding one :D those have them are keeping theirs the 2nd hand market for projectors is pretty stretched... supply demand.. more folks sitting at home watching movies and putting in projector setups or upgrading what they have ...for one of these :)
The X series from the X500 and forward difference is mainly light output. So comming from a HD1 the X500 would seem the best choise unless changing screen as well. The 5000 series will be to bright on a neutral 110" screen same goes for the N5. For those size you need a 7 series.

Really interesting. Right now we're projecting onto a white painted wall. Shock horror! Basically, we haven't built the infrastructure into the wall yet, we have paintings up and we don't want to "see" the screen when we aren't using it. Frustratingly we can't bury the screen in the ceiling as there's a big steel beam a third of the way across. So it has to be surface mounted. This will at least allow us to have paintings up and lower the screen in front of them. 110 / 120 inch likely. We put the lift nicely back so that we'll always be good for throw ratios. I'm a little surprised at the Pure Theatre lift for not coming down further from the ceiling. The lens of the HD1 only just fully clears the ceiling. Weird. And hence I need something roughly similar in size or I'll have a problem in the ceiling. Appreciate the suggestions you've all made. I love the JVC and I've really loved my HD1. Only cost me £800 9 years ago. Epic value. About 1250 hrs on the bulb (second bulb) and not as bright or punchy as I'd like anymore. My brother in law (down the road) has an 85inch Sammy LED tv and my God it's good. Amazing how far they've come on and the price! But I like my second hand PJs. I need to check the dimensions on the X5 / X7 series and see what comes up.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom