JVC DLA-N7 4K D-ILA Projector – First Look & Comments

Hi Steve
Another comprehensive review - Thanks
I am currently running my old 4k shifting 7000. Have always been fairly pleased with it, but am getting a replace bulb message. As I am sure you are aware that is a good enough reason to upgrade!
The question is how much better is the N7? Will it make enough of a noticeable difference?
The price doesn't scare me too much - have been in this game far too long - I realise that large outlays don't always bring huge improvements. I also see an investment like this over a period of years and so the second part of my question is the longevity. Is there something in the pipeline that will make want to upgrade in the next couple of years? btw not interested in 8K!!

We would say yes it’s a definite improvement.
The N7 will remain current throughout next year we have been told by JVC. They tend to just add tweaks when the model changes each year.

Hi Richard how are you hope you are well can I ask what size screen is used in this install and what aspect ratio.
Very well thank you. It is a 3m wide 16:9 Acoustic DT Screen.

Hi Steve
Another comprehensive review - Thanks
I am currently running my old 4k shifting 7000. Have always been fairly pleased with it, but am getting a replace bulb message. As I am sure you are aware that is a good enough reason to upgrade!
The question is how much better is the N7? Will it make enough of a noticeable difference?
The price doesn't scare me too much - have been in this game far too long - I realise that large outlays don't always bring huge improvements. I also see an investment like this over a period of years and so the second part of my question is the longevity. Is there something in the pipeline that will make want to upgrade in the next couple of years? btw not interested in 8K!!
I think it's a lot better, especially where HDR is concerned. This projector will be JVC's main model for the foreseeable future, so take the plunge!

We have hosting an AVF members open day at our Borehamwood showroom Sat 16th Nov. The calibrated N7 is on permanent demonstration with a DT Screens 3m 2:35 AT screen in our very black cinema room.
42B33A84-9D31-4939-9EF1-59007A21D466.jpeg

Great review thank you!

It would be nice if they had HDMi 2.1 I understand switching wait would become a thing of the past!

I wang to upgrade but will wait until the 2.0 version comes out! May be now we are going to see some price war between Sony & JVC or we might have to wait until EPSON delivers a true 4K projector

There’s no need for HDMI 2.1 on projectors for the next few years. On tv’s the earc and auto low latency stuff might be handy.

Hi Steve
I got the nx7b and the panasonic Ub-9000 blu- ray player. The projector is very nice:) Iam wondering, do you use the optimiser the panasonic with the DTM in Jvc? I have a very hard time to decide if i want the optimser on or not. I want a correct picture. I have a screen from euroscreen Thor tabtension react 3.0 107" 2,35:1 screen. I have about 3.55m fron the projectorlens to the screen, white roof, the left wall is white and the right wall i have a big window that i have dark blue drapes. I had a certified Isf calibrator at my home that calibrated and he tried to movies, Revenant and Oblivion on 4k/hdr. He said the best comprise was with optimiser on and the DTM at the same time. I saw it clipped at the highlights and he saw that to but that was the best comprimised in his opinion when it comes to projectors to get more punch in the picture in my room. What do you think and have you had the experience with that? I just want to have the most correct picture with my room and equipment. Thanks in advance:)

I turned the optimiser off on my UB9000 because it seemed the logical approach. I've been very happy with the results, and so haven't really experimented with keeping it on. You can just switch it on and off and see if it makes any difference for yourself.

I turned the optimiser off on my UB9000 because it seemed the logical approach. I've been very happy with the results, and so haven't really experimented with keeping it on. You can just switch it on and off and see if it makes any difference for yourself.
Are you using highlamp and witch setting are you using in Dtm?

Hi Steve
I got the nx7b and the panasonic Ub-9000 blu- ray player. The projector is very nice:) Iam wondering, do you use the optimiser the panasonic with the DTM in Jvc? I have a very hard time to decide if i want the optimser on or not. I want a correct picture. I have a screen from euroscreen Thor tabtension react 3.0 107" 2,35:1 screen. I have about 3.55m fron the projectorlens to the screen, white roof, the left wall is white and the right wall i have a big window that i have dark blue drapes. I had a certified Isf calibrator at my home that calibrated and he tried to movies, Revenant and Oblivion on 4k/hdr. He said the best comprise was with optimiser on and the DTM at the same time. I saw it clipped at the highlights and he saw that to but that was the best comprimised in his opinion when it comes to projectors to get more punch in the picture in my room. What do you think and have you had the experience with that? I just want to have the most correct picture with my room and equipment. Thanks in advance:)

I agree, I think the Frame rate adapt feature is awesome! I love this projector, the only issue i have is the handshake issues I get with my oppo 203. If I'm playing a 1080p blu ray I have to set it to source direct and then while playing I have to change to auto to upscale to 4k. If I set it to Auto first I get blue screen out of range message whenever I have the oppo set to out put Auto.

I use the low lamp mode (high is too noisy) and the Auto DTM settings (although sometimes I switch to High if the image appears too dark).
You have the projector in a dark room or in a room like mine with high contrast screen? Sorry about the many questions, but i want to have the picture as close as possible the correct picture.

You have the projector in a dark room or in a room like mine with high contrast screen? Sorry about the many questions, but i want to have the picture as close as possible the correct picture.
Mine is in a completely blacked out room. You might need to use high lamp mode in your room.

A final question Steve, what setting should you have when you are looking at hdrmaterial, 16-235 or 16-255?

I used to use Super White (16-255) but on the N7 it seems to make the image darker, so now I just use the Auto setting.

I use the low lamp mode (high is too noisy) and the Auto DTM settings (although sometimes I switch to High if the image appears too dark).

high lamp too noisy? That’s surprising, I thought the new range were quieter than the old ones? I can’t hear my 7990 when on high when I have movies playing.

They are quiet, but a brighter lamp generates more heat, and where the projector is in my room the fan noise is more audible in high mode.

I tried a couple of settings and came up to use these setting for my room and equipment. High lampmode is to high but ofcourse best picture. These are setting that give me the best comprimised of the sound of projector and picture. Low lampmode, high setting on Dtm and optimser of in the panasonic player and auto on input so no s-white here either, its clipping to much the highlights in the panasonic with the optimser on. I noticed also that the picture got to dark on mine also with S-white on Steve. So with these setting i almost get the picture as with high lampmode with auto in Dtm. Tried different movies today with metadata end one with without, it was Captain Marvel. The Jvc do it good with the Dtm also with no metadata but the need to improve it more, it is to dark in midlevel and hightlights in some cases in that movie. Thanks for the advice Steve:)

@Steve Withers

Hi Steve.

Could you tell me what you have your apeture set to for SDR please?

I know your settings will be different to mine. But I've been playing about with my light meter and I'm going to -12. to get 22fl, I think!! -14 seems to get me 18fl.

Does this sound right? Or does my meter sound wrong? Admittedly it's a cheap one.

My screen is 120" diagonal.

Thanks.

@Steve Withers

Hi Steve.

Could you tell me what you have your apeture set to for SDR please?

I know your settings will be different to mine. But I've been playing about with my light meter and I'm going to -12. to get 22fl, I think!! -14 seems to get me 18fl.

Does this sound right? Or does my meter sound wrong? Admittedly it's a cheap one.

My screen is 120" diagonal.

Thanks.
That sounds spot on. I'm using -11, but my screen is bigger.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom