JVC DLA-N7 4K D-ILA Projector – First Look & Comments

Max zoom with the iris fully open is about 30,000:1, and min zoom with the iris fully closed is about 70,000:1. That's in a completely blacked out room.

Another excellent review Mr Withers!

How is the fan noise and e-shift operating noise on this compared to an X7000? I had the X7000 but due to limitations of a small room and close proximity to the pj and the MLP, personally I found it too loud and changed for something else.
PS now I have a mental image I can't get rid of with Phil soaking in the bath with his N7 :)

Another excellent review Mr Withers!

How is the fan noise and e-shift operating noise on this compared to an X7000? I had the X7000 but due to limitations of a small room and close proximity to the pj and the MLP, personally I found it too loud and changed for something else.
PS now I have a mental image I can't get rid of with Phil soaking in the bath with his N7 :)
As I point out in the review Steve, the N7 doesn't have an e-Shift device (it's native 4K) and in low lamp mode the fan noise is only 20dB, moving up to 28dB in high lamp mode.

Max zoom with the iris fully open is about 30,000:1, and min zoom with the iris fully closed is about 70,000:1. That's in a completely blacked out room.
Thanks for the review Steve, how would you compare it to the X9500? Have you tested one of those? I am having a hard time finding a projector that I m willing to swap it for, including the Z1. I've seen the N7 against the N9 and the Z1 and X7900 and the only "real" benefit I saw was the lack of eshift noise for which I am not convinced is worth giving up my contrast king.

Thanks for the review Steve, how would you compare it to the X9500? Have you tested one of those? I am having a hard time finding a projector that I m willing to swap it for, including the Z1. I've seen the N7 against the N9 and the Z1 and X7900 and the only "real" benefit I saw was the lack of eshift noise for which I am not convinced is worth giving up my contrast king.
I haven't seen the X9500 in action, but I understand your dilemma.

Thanks for the first look! Was it as big an upgrade over your previous model as you'd have liked Steve? I guess I'm trying to ask, is the price difference worth the performance benefits to you over your older machine?

Thanks for the first look! Was it as big an upgrade over your previous model as you'd have liked Steve? I guess I'm trying to ask, is the price difference worth the performance benefits to you over your older machine?

I'm also curious about this.

I'm also curious about this.

I would guess this depends on your bank account and what is value to the individual.

A £4000 premium over the x7900 will be hard to justify for most people I would imagine.

I think the N7 is a clear upgrade in most respects (aside from contrast) over the X7900, but that remains a superb projector. Personally I have no regrets about moving from my X7500 to the N7, but value is always very subjective. I suspect many people will find it hard to justify the four grand premium over the X7900, and that makes sense.

value is always very subjective

Absolutely. Non-enthusiasts balk when they hear what I've spent on my set-up over the years, but I feel I've had value out of every penny.

Thank you. Sony 570es is quite rightly compared given the price point...

If going in fresh with a budget of £5-8k (never previously owning a JVC) would you go for an N7 at retail, or a 570es at 5.5k and save some money? It's all subjective, but just a general view if you could?

Wildcard, and I think I already know the answer - N5 over a 570es at the same price?

Thank you. Sony 570es is quite rightly compared given the price point...

If going in fresh with a budget of £5-8k (never previously owning a JVC) would you go for an N7 at retail, or a 570es at 5.5k and save some money? It's all subjective, but just a general view if you could?

Wildcard, and I think I already know the answer - N5 over a 570es at the same price?
Where are you seeing the Sony VPL-VW570ES for £5.5K? As far as I can tell that projector costs £7,999 new, so there's only a £500 difference with the N7. Whatever the price, I still prefer the JVC with what I believe to be a better overall performance and superior set of features.

I haven't actually seen an N5 in action but given the specs and what I know from having the N7, I would expect it to be very similar apart from the maximum colour gamut and contrast ratios. So at £6,499 the N5 looks like good value compared to the VW570ES and definitely offers more in terms of features compared to the £4,999 VPL-VW270ES.

Where are you seeing the Sony VPL-VW570ES for £5.5K? As far as I can tell that projector costs £7,999 new, so there's only a £500 difference with the N7. Whatever the price, I still prefer the JVC with what I believe to be a better overall performance and superior set of features.

I haven't actually seen an N5 in action but given the specs and what I know from having the N7, I would expect it to be very similar apart from the maximum colour gamut and contrast ratios. So at £6,499 the N5 looks like good value compared to the VW570ES and definitely offers more in terms of features compared to the £4,999 VPL-VW270ES.
That's very helpful, thanks! It's a brand new unit, unused, but open box at that price. Just trying to gauge if the N7 is tangibly better for the first time higher end user given the 5.5K opportunity on the 570es and the saving over the N7 to be had.

High praise indeed that you would take the JVC's no matter the price in comparison.

One final question for anyone who can help. How is the motion compared to the Epson range (9300 etc)? I'm used to DLP motion and was a little disappointed by the motion on the Epson range. Would it be fair to expect vastly clearer motion on the JVC or Sony models in question? Or is this a symptom of the tech at play and leaps in motion expectation between brands should be managed accordingly?

One final question for anyone who can help. How is the motion compared to the Epson range (9300 etc)? I'm used to DLP motion and was a little disappointed by the motion on the Epson range. Would it be fair to expect vastly clearer motion on the JVC or Sony models in question? Or is this a symptom of the tech at play and leaps in motion expectation between brands should be managed accordingly?
The JVC uses D-ILA and the Sony uses SXRD, both are just proprietary versions of LCoS which has motion characteristics that are similar to LCD. So if you're coming from DLP you'll probably find the motion on both the JVC and Sony a little disappointing compared to DLP. However those projectors are better in every other respect.

Regarding the darker performance with 3d:

Which 3d glasses were you using? It has been determined on another forum that JVC has switched the polarization orientation, such that if your screen retains some degree of polarization, the previous glasses that were optimized for JVC Projectors (such as the ones sold by JVC for this purpose) are actually now darker than the 'regular' X1 version of XPand glasses and similar models.

This is the case despite the fact that the NX7 Manual still recommends those glasses. A change in the manual will apparently be forthcoming.

Regarding the darker performance with 3d:

Which 3d glasses were you using? It has been determined on another forum that JVC has switched the polarization orientation, such that if your screen retains some degree of polarization, the previous glasses that were optimized for JVC Projectors (such as the ones sold by JVC for this purpose) are actually now darker than the 'regular' X1 version of XPand glasses and similar models.

This is the case despite the fact that the NX7 Manual still recommends those glasses. A change in the manual will apparently be forthcoming.

This has been talked about in both the other threads I believe, we now have 3 threads about the same thing. Be good if avf or a moderator can merge this into one single thread.

What are the differences compared to the Epson tw9300/9400 apart from native 4k resolution (as I am happy enough with faux-k)? Do the blacks look much better than the Epson's do with dynamic contrast on? Are there any other differences a viewer might notice?

Haven’t seen the N7 (Hardly anybody has) but comparing the Epson to the JVC E shift models is like comparing chalk and cheese, the JVC outclasses the Epson in all departments. (As it should as it is almost twice the price)

Bill

Haven’t seen the N7 (Hardly anybody has) but comparing the Epson to the JVC E shift models is like comparing chalk and cheese, the JVC outclasses the Epson in all departments. (As it should as it is almost twice the price)

Bill
All? Including motion blur? It’s all well and good looking to spend 3x the amount, but is it too high an expectation to expect a big difference in motion?

If you want the best motion then the only option is DLP, as the chips used in the Epson, JVC & Sony fall well short, so you have to decide on your priorities.

Decent DLP projectors are not that expensive and small, so if its sport or gaming you are interested in, (As well as films) then get a DLP that you can keep in the cupboard and bring out just for sports etc.

Bill

It would be for a dedicated setup, I'm not looking to take things out of a cupboard to watch content, nor is the cost of the device really an issue, but I imagine like most I don't like to throw money away for non-tangible benefits. Motion is my main concern, I'll try and catch a demo of some of the Sony and JVC models to compare.

P.S I have to add, it's a little bizarre that you recommend a DLP that can be taken in and out of a cupboard when we're talking on an N7 topic :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no domestic projection technology that will give you a great film experience and top notch motion, therefore you will have to compromise one or the other, or as I said, have 2 different projectors.

Bill

It would be for a dedicated setup, I'm not looking to take things out of a cupboard to watch content, nor is the cost of the device really an issue, but I imagine like most I don't like to throw money away for non-tangible benefits. Motion is my main concern, I'll try and catch a demo of some of the Sony and JVC models to compare.

P.S I have to add, it's a little bizarre that you recommend a DLP that can be taken in and out of a cupboard when we're talking on an N7 topic :laugh:

I’ve never noticed motion issues with my jvc 7900

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom