JVC DLA-N7 4K D-ILA Projector – First Look & Comments

I’ve never noticed motion issues with my jvc 7900
Agreed, 4k 60fps gaming is smooth as silk, to be honest it's been years since I've heard anyone even mention JVC/D-ILA motion issues.

This has been talked about in both the other threads I believe, we now have 3 threads about the same thing. Be good if avf or a moderator can merge this into one single thread.
This is a thread for the review discussion, it will not be merged with any other existing threads.

This is a thread for the review discussion, it will not be merged with any other existing threads.
Perhaps merge the other 2 together then.

What are the differences compared to the Epson tw9300/9400 apart from native 4k resolution (as I am happy enough with faux-k)? Do the blacks look much better than the Epson's do with dynamic contrast on? Are there any other differences a viewer might notice?
I can't answer that because Phil reviewed the TW9300 not me, but I'm sure Phil will address that when he reviews the TW9400 and the N7.

Regarding the darker performance with 3d:

Which 3d glasses were you using? It has been determined on another forum that JVC has switched the polarization orientation, such that if your screen retains some degree of polarization, the previous glasses that were optimized for JVC Projectors (such as the ones sold by JVC for this purpose) are actually now darker than the 'regular' X1 version of XPand glasses and similar models.

This is the case despite the fact that the NX7 Manual still recommends those glasses. A change in the manual will apparently be forthcoming.
I've got the official JVC glasses, but I'll have a word with them about the issue.

Nobody has mentioned motion issues specifically with JVC, I'm not sure why that has been implied. I did ask if I could expect improved motion over an Epson (9300/9400) on a JVC/Sony given they use the same underlying technology to resolve the image. I find the Epson experience blurry when using their 4K shifting which also lacks interpolation options. When panning a scene or walking with a moving background it falls apart for me.

Clearly we have some justification for JVC purchases that will bias the question, I'd fully expect the same if I asked over in the Epson thread. My point was only if it's expecting more from the underlying tech across brands than I reasonably should, and beside some (possible) massive difference between an Epson and JVC in other areas, motion might be similar. I'd expect some improved clarity with the JVC/Sony being native, but was secretly hoping for a straight out, yes, vast difference, due to 'X' on the Epson. Perhaps Sony with their motion handling notoriety will provide a far more pleasing experience over the Epson range, maybe the JVC, I really don't know.

I'll certainly try and catch a demo as nobody seems able to confidently suggest one way or the other if a larger difference can be expected over the Epson. Though I fully appreciate motion can be subjective and perhaps on the whole people are as happy with Epson motion as they are JVC/Sony and there really isn't anything in it.

Nobody has mentioned motion issues specifically with JVC, I'm not sure why that has been implied. I did ask if I could expect improved motion over an Epson (9300/9400) on a JVC/Sony given they use the same underlying technology to resolve the image. I find the Epson experience blurry when using their 4K shifting which also lacks interpolation options. When panning a scene or walking with a moving background it falls apart for me.

Clearly we have some justification for JVC purchases that will bias the question, I'd fully expect the same if I asked over in the Epson thread. My point was only if it's expecting more from the underlying tech across brands than I reasonably should, and beside some (possible) massive difference between an Epson and JVC in other areas, motion might be similar. I'd expect some improved clarity with the JVC/Sony being native, but was secretly hoping for a straight out, yes, vast difference, due to 'X' on the Epson. Perhaps Sony with their motion handling notoriety will provide a far more pleasing experience over the Epson range, maybe the JVC, I really don't know.

I'll certainly try and catch a demo as nobody seems able to confidently suggest one way or the other if a larger difference can be expected over the Epson. Though I fully appreciate motion can be subjective and perhaps on the whole people are as happy with Epson motion as they are JVC/Sony and there really isn't anything in it.

Can’t comment on the 9400 but did own a 9300. The JVC is on a completely different level in every aspect, including motion.

I talk about it in the review, but the motion on the N7 is excellent and I have no issues with it whatsoever.

On an unrelated note I watched the 4K disc of Starship Troopers last night, and it looked amazing on the N7.

I talk about it in the review, but the motion on the N7 is excellent and I have no issues with it whatsoever.

On an unrelated note I watched the 4K disc of Starship Troopers last night, and it looked amazing on the N7.
I didn't find motion an issue at all on the N5 demo I had a couple of weeks ago - I bought one

the improvements were sufficient over an Epson 9300W that I have had for 2 years to make the considerable extra cost of the JVC not an issue at all

been considering what to watch first when my N5 arrives - I love starship troopers but was thinking dark knight, interstellar, blade runner, 2001 or maybe fifth element

I didn't find motion an issue at all on the N5 demo I had a couple of weeks ago - I bought one

the improvements were sufficient over an Epson 9300W that I have had for 2 years to make the considerable extra cost of the JVC not an issue at all

been considering what to watch first when my N5 arrives - I love starship troopers but was thinking dark knight, interstellar, blade runner, 2001 or maybe fifth element
How did you find the motion on the 9300? I’ll be coming from a 9400, basically the same in terms of handling I believe. Is the motion handling more similar with subtle improvements/tweaks, or significantly different between the two brands? Thanks

How did you find the motion on the 9300? I’ll be coming from a 9400, basically the same in terms of handling I believe. Is the motion handling more similar with subtle improvements/tweaks, or significantly different between the two brands? Thanks

I’m in exactly the same boat as you. There is a lot I like about the 9400 but will be trying to get a demo of the sony and jvcs to see if motion is much better to my eyes.

Last edited:
I’m in exactly the same boat as you. There is a lot I like about the 9400 but will be trying to get a demo of the song and jvcs to see if motion isn’t much better to my eyes.
Hearing this from a fellow owner makes me lean toward it being more unique to Epson than something inherent to the tech.

All good choices. I watched a bit of 2001 and that was very impressive.

Max zoom with the iris fully open is about 30,000:1, and min zoom with the iris fully closed is about 70,000:1. That's in a completely blacked out room.

Bit of a newbie question. Should I be concerned that , according to the jvc calculator, I would be at the absolute minimum screen size given the throw distance to screen.
(300cm width from 4.25m distance from PJ to screen)

Bit of a newbie question. Should I be concerned that , according to the jvc calculator, I would be at the absolute minimum screen size given the throw distance to screen.
I'm not sure concerned is the right word, but if you're not going to have enough room to enjoy the kind of big screen experience a projector offers then you might be better off going for a big screen TV instead.

Sounds like motion on the JVC's is truly a step up, thank you for helping my decision. Now to decide between the N5/N7 or older shifting models... down the rabbit hole I go.

I appreciate that panning shots on 24fps material can look juddery on the Epson 9300 - I have not seen a 9400 but I guess much the same

again I inly had 2 hours on the N5 but I thought that the motion was very good with all motion stuff off - we watched the scene in deepwater horizon where a helicopter circles the rig and I remember saying how smooth and free of judder that scene was as it was one I remember the Epson struggling with

but you have to see it for yourself as it is a huge purchase as you will take a hit on your 9400's - at least I have had 2 years and 2000 hours out of my 9300

@jakimp Thanks.

It was more than judder for me, content was literally blurring even on slow moving scenes, Inception for example 'The mirror scene' walking through a crowd. It was so uncomfortable to try and follow. Still and hardly moving content, very watchable.

My 9400 unfortunately was diagnosed with a fault, so I'm back to the drawing board as it were. Heck, it could stand to reason that motion was not as it should have been, being faulty. I'll definitely demo anything at the new price points.

How big does the calculator say the screen will be?

I can't answer that because Phil reviewed the TW9300 not me, but I'm sure Phil will address that when he reviews the TW9400 and the N7.

Okay, thanks. The main thing I'd like to improve would be the black floor as I use a white wall as a screen, and notice the borders being lighter than the surrounding wall when using hdr and high lamp mode. Motion judder for panning shots is not a big deal for me at the moment. I'd perhaps be better off with a JVC X7900, or is that less bright than the Epson?

Do the JVC's suffer from dust blobs?

Do the JVC's suffer from dust blobs?
Unlike DLP and some LCD projectors the light path appears to be sealed, at least on the D-ILA series. I'm sure it stands to reason the new models are too.

EDIT: Looks like I've perpetuated some incorrect info, see post farther down.

Last edited by a moderator:
How big does the calculator say the screen will be?

The JVC calculator puts the screen size as the absolute max size I could fit given the distance between the PJ and the screen, so it fits. My concern is if being at the very edge of the projectors zoom ability would impact the picture quality.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom