JVC DLA-N7 4K D-ILA Projector – First Look & Comments

The JVC calculator puts the screen size as the absolute max size I could fit given the distance between the PJ and the screen, so it fits. My concern is if being at the very edge of the projectors zoom ability would impact the picture quality.
It should be OK, a friend of mine had a similar issue with an X5000 and that looked fine.

Excellent review. Looks like JVC will have no competition when it comes to Picture Quality

awaiting the side by side comparison with the Sony 570. It sounds like the N7 may just have the edge.... I'm about to press the button one or the other and will be getting the N7 demo ASAP. any body else who has seen them side by side??

I'm not sure concerned is the right word, but if you're not going to have enough room to enjoy the kind of big screen experience a projector offers then you might be better off going for a big screen TV instead.

135 inch screen is still bigger than a tv.

Sounds like motion on the JVC's is truly a step up, thank you for helping my decision. Now to decide between the N5/N7 or older shifting models... down the rabbit hole I go.

Speak to Allan, he has a DLA-X9000 for similar money as your 9400 was.:smashin:

Yeah I did see, I'm in no rush so will get some demos in first. Thanks.

I think all here will agree that the 9000 is probably one of the greatest PJ, if it had been offered to me at the time of buying the Epson I would have jumped at it.

On the motion I have zero issues on my Epson, in fact I've never used any of the Frame Interpolation modes even when watching football or rugby.

I agree regarding the x9000, there is also one in the classifieds, the warranty situation puts me off on a used machine above £2k. I'm leaning toward native like the N7, I suspect the motion will be more pleasing. Certainly need to demo the N7, N5 and 570es.

I agree regarding the x9000, there is also one in the classifieds, the warranty situation puts me off on a used machine above £2k. I'm leaning toward native like the N7, I suspect the motion will be more pleasing. Certainly need to demo the N7, N5 and 570es.

All of the above are too rich for my blood, if I were to take that much out of our savings she'd kill, divorce me and beat me up....... not necessarily in that order. :rotfl:

All of the above are too rich for my blood, if I were to take that much out of our savings she'd kill, divorce me and beat me up....... not necessarily in that order. :rotfl:

Ah but you'd have an N7 at least, she can keep the dog ;)

Hi Thanks for review ( finally :) )
Have you tried to play with ATV?
Does Auto Tone Mapping give something here?

Thanks, I know who he is lol.

Just wondering if that PJ is actually listed somewhere. I don't want to start pming him about it as I'm just vaguely considering it.

Cheers

Thanks, I know who he is lol.

Just wondering if that PJ is actually listed somewhere. I don't want to start pming him about it as I'm just vaguely considering it.

Cheers
Ah, lol. Allan mentioned it over on the 7400/9400 owners thread briefly and asked anyone interested to get in touch. Can't find the post now.

Thanks
so N7 wins in my small list (I was thinking about VW 570)
time to buy ;)

Does the vw570es have a sealed light path? I always assumed the JVC’s did, looks like I’m mistaken.

The JVC calculator puts the screen size as the absolute max size I could fit given the distance between the PJ and the screen, so it fits. My concern is if being at the very edge of the projectors zoom ability would impact the picture quality.
If I read correctly and you have a 3m wide screen, I personally would prefer that to watch movies than a 65 or 75" OLED TV.

If you were only projecting up to 75" diagonal then I'd prefer a 75" TV.

If I read correctly and you have a 3m wide screen, I personally would prefer that to watch movies than a 65 or 75" OLED TV.

If you were only projecting up to 75" diagonal then I'd prefer a 75" TV.

Thanks , yes I want to project on to a 135" diagonal , I am upgrading and want a projector that can project to that size given the room size

Hi Thanks for review ( finally :) )
Have you tried to play with ATV?
Does Auto Tone Mapping give something here?
Auto tone mapping will have issues with lots of content on the ATV4K as Apple send out bogus metadata updates for a lot of content after the DV -> HDR10 conversion process. This can be seen as the luminance jumping as the tone map curve is adjusted at an inoportune moment.

Funny how there's not a single word about the chromatic aberrations, the dreadful panel alignment and the yellowing of whites reported worldwide. I've seen this PJ in great detail in Australia and I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole.... Don't be fooled these reviewers are biased towards the positive for a reason. It's all well and good to tout all glass optics but when the image turns to crap on one whole side of the screen due to poor panel alignment and dreadful CA from inferior optics. seems like jvc couldn't care less.

I think we'll see the return of single chip machines given these ones can't display a uniform image. if this was a tv you'd laugh and return it.. maybe you'd cry I don't know.. But it's woeful quality control on jvc's part.

Now their projectors have taken a massive contrast hit, they're no longer ahead of everyone else so there's no real main selling point anymore as contrast was the most important factor among movies enthusiasts, right? JVC were known for being the best in the game, now the contrast is ordinary and the rest of the image across the screen is sub standard because of the above mentioned problems... where's their advantage now? It doesn't exist.
sorry to seem negative but I was looking forward to this machine and had an order in for one, but now I've cancelled my order and will wait to see what the outcome ends up being. Let's keep it real. It's not fair on others who might buy this machine sight unseen and put faith in reviews that are clearly not telling the whole picture. cheers and thanks.

Funny how there's not a single word about the chromatic aberrations, the dreadful panel alignment and the yellowing of whites reported worldwide. I've seen this PJ in great detail in Australia and I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole.... Don't be fooled these reviewers are biased towards the positive for a reason. It's all well and good to tout all glass optics but when the image turns to crap on one whole side of the screen due to poor panel alignment and dreadful CA from inferior optics. seems like jvc couldn't care less.

I think we'll see the return of single chip machines given these ones can't display a uniform image. if this was a tv you'd laugh and return it.. maybe you'd cry I don't know.. But it's woeful quality control on jvc's part.

Now their projectors have taken a massive contrast hit, they're no longer ahead of everyone else so there's no real main selling point anymore as contrast was the most important factor among movies enthusiasts, right? JVC were known for being the best in the game, now the contrast is ordinary and the rest of the image across the screen is sub standard because of the above mentioned problems... where's their advantage now? It doesn't exist.
sorry to seem negative but I was looking forward to this machine and had an order in for one, but now I've cancelled my order and will wait to see what the outcome ends up being. Let's keep it real. It's not fair on others who might buy this machine sight unseen and put faith in reviews that are clearly not telling the whole picture. cheers and thanks.
Aside from the fact that this review is based upon my own machine that I bought with my own money, I resent the fact that you're basically saying I'm a liar. I'm not biased towards any projector manufacturer, and I have seen none of the problems you refer to on my N7. In fact I'm absolutely delighted with it, and so is everyone else I know that owns one. You're entitled to your opinion but I'd prefer it if you didn't question a person's professionalism and integrity in the process. It's rude, incorrect, and unnecessary.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom