JVC DLA- X30, X70 and X90 (UK specs) discussion/owners thread - Part 3

The thing is, if Decam are anything like Sontec I'm not sure they will sell it to you as a part. It's usually a repair package of parts and labour you get locked into. I don't think you can buy the part new as a separate in the UK. That's why most import it for home repairs.

But is that the same spec as the original ballast board which, presumably, can just fail again?

That's why I would welcome a possible upgraded board fitted by Decam.

But is that the same spec as the original ballast board which, presumably, can just fail again?

That's why I would welcome a possible upgraded board fitted by Decam.
As i see the upgrade is rumors untill proven otherwise, and concidering these projectors is quite old now its unlikely we will see the 2nd ballast fail before something else fail, it could very well be a bad controler ic on the original release wich might not be a issue on the ballast boards almost 10 years later. If Decam is a serious buisness you should call and ask for the details about the upgrade.
Also notice that the lamp blower in the X3 to X90 is way to small to keep the lamp cold, wich introduce massive gamma and color drift during operation, to limit that you need to run the projector in high lam, high altitude mode, wich will likely increase lamp life, you can see in the picture how the lamp blower was upgradet in the X500, wich is basically still the same projector except eshift and new generation panels and processor. So in general its better to buy a used X500 or newer and toss the old X3 to X90 units if needing ballast and lamp replacement.
20200413_020819.jpg

Hi all, I have a JVC X30 with a lamp or ballast issue, still not sure which one is the problem yet.

The lamp has always been run in normal mode rather than high, but after around 1000 lamp hours, it had developed a mild flicker. I switched over to high mode as this has been suggested to resolve the issue after a few hours.

The immediate effect was that high mode eliminated the flickering. It has been in high mode for around 4 lamp hours so far. I powered it up tonight, got as far as the "D-ILA" splash screen before the projector decided to fault. (Solid red warning light, 2-flash lamp light)

As far as I'm aware, this could be either the lamp or the ballast. Presumably it's a good sign that the ballast is still igniting the lamp and running it for a short duration?

I bought the projector used a few years ago, and I'm fairly confident the lamp that is installed at the moment is genuine JVC as it is manufactured by Philips. Please see the attached images for reference.

Could someone with a genuine lamp confirm this is correct so I can order a replacement lamp? (it is far cheaper this way than getting the full lamp and housing).

Many thanks,
Joe

Attachments

• IMG_20200709_223323_compressed.jpg
    IMG_20200709_223323_compressed.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20200709_223456_compressed.jpg
    IMG_20200709_223456_compressed.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 100
It’s not a genuine lamp I’m afraid. Philips didn’t make them, JVC have different markings and I’m sure they’re 230 watt.

It’s a good sign it’s still firing the lamp so don’t keep turning it on. Get a new genuine lamp and it should be ok.

Where are you based? I have a spare genuine lamp you could test with if you’re nearby.

Thanks for your reply,

I'm near Norwich if that's any good.

If not, do you know where I can source an original lamp? I did find one website quoting £388!

Thanks

Thanks for your reply,

I'm near Norwich

I’m not far from you.
I still have my old genuine lamp with 3000+ hours on that was still working when I replaced it. If you want you can use it to see if your pj fires up.
PM me if your interested.
I’ve had the solid red light issue. Probably get it once a month. Turning it off and on usually solves it for me.
I’ve had numerous other repeat faults but the old girl is still going.
I should point out mine is the RS46 which is an X35

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply,

I'm near Norwich if that's any good.

If not, do you know where I can source an original lamp? I did find one website quoting £388!

Thanks

IdealAV do them for £319 last I checked.

IdealAV do them for £319 last I checked.
Ouch.

It does make me question whether the sheer difference in price compared to a Philips lamp is worth it. I've heard JVC lamps are equally unreliable, blowing at 1,00-1,500 hrs, plus they are about half of what I paid for the projector at the time.

I have reached out to Sontec to see if they can beat that price. Rather handy that they're based in Norwich, although I'm certainly not asking for it to go belly-up any time soon!

The JVC lamps are super reliable and leagues better for output, stability, and mean time before drop off when compared to any other non JVC lamp.

Sontec or the new JVC current dealer will likely be more expensive. Certainly was when I last checked.

Goodness me, I still need to fix my X30, not sure if issue is ballast or lamp and being in Ireland it's not easy to test. Anyone ever come across an Irish company that could help? Methinks sending via courier across to the UK would be too risky.

Goodness me, I still need to fix my X30, not sure if issue is ballast or lamp and being in Ireland it's not easy to test. Anyone ever come across an Irish company that could help? Methinks sending via courier across to the UK would be too risky.

Not sure if he does projectors, but Ken at TVAE in Cork is very good.:

I've started to notice that my X30 is brighter one side of the image than the other, with the colour temperature seeming slightly warmer on the darker side of the picture. I'm guessing it's due a clean out, but wondered if there may be another cause before going down this avenue.

Running a genuine JVC lamp with 43 hours on the clock.

Thanks

I used to be a projectionist at a local cinema back in the days of film (it wasn't that long ago - oh OK, perhaps it was)

We used to rotate the xenon tubes as they would blacken after a certain amount use - and you would get darker areas on the screen. It could be our bulb or the mirror.... you could remove it and inspect it.....

Just seen/noticed your bulb only has 43 hours on the clock.... that's a worry.....

I finally got a new bulb for my JVC X30 which stopped working 2 years ago. Then children came along, I ramped up running volume, and only now getting back to slowly but surely getting the cinema room back in order.

Still with me? Does anyone have any instructions they can point me to on how to replace the board? I figured if that doesn't work I'll just get a new projector 🤷🏻

Oops, just found a YouTube vide and it looks super easy :-D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom