JVC DLA-X5000 Projector Best Picture Settings - video discussion

Please, do the same video for your VW520ES review. Would love to see your take on the settings for that one. Would additionally give me something to do while counting down the days 'til Christmas, when delivery awaits!

Steve, I used these settings and am generally happy with the PQ however selecting Super White crashes blacks big time. I wonder why that wasn't the case with your unit??

Thanks

I've now been a proud owner of the X500 for 3½ weeks. To sum it up, it is one hell of a projector. The jump from my previous Sanyo PLV-Z700 is quite staggering. As for someone who occasionally works as a projectionist at a local small cinema, the picture produced by the X5000 compares rather favorably against the industry standard 2K cinema projector. As someone who really loves the "film look", watching productions shot on film with the proper restoration/(re)mastering truly gives that "I'm at the cinema watching the best possible film print (most likely even better)" feel that brings a smile to my face. Changing the aspect ratio for my new DIY scope screen by the press of a button is also a beautiful treat for a lazy man like myself - no more getting up on the couch/chair to fix zoom & focus, ugh!

As for calibration, I've only followed the video posted on this forum with a few small changes: e-shift off, Super White off, lens aperture -10 (instead of -15), color +6 (instead of 0). Any further advice later on when the hours on the lamp reach 150 would be nice.

In two fairly minor aspects the 2008 Sanyo model actually beats the X5000:
1) Motorized lens cover. No biggie, but because the living room is next to the kitchen area, there is a small worry about the lens perhaps getting dirty when cooking greasy food...
2) The noise. As many of you have discussed here, the noise gets significantly louder when the e-shift is engaged, which alone was a reason enough for me not to even experiment that much either (briefly sampled Gone Girl with the e-shift, didn't see much of a difference, at least not a positive one, and thus, decided to turn it off for now). However, even in low lamp & eco mode the X5000 is surprisingly loud, noticeably louder than the old Sanyo (both have an advertised 21 db noise level in low lamp mode), which in and of itself is not a dealbreaker, but it does irk me a bit, especially if a scene goes truly quiet in a movie, with little to no ambiance as you can pick out the projector sound. The projector is ceiling mounted, close to 1 meter behind us, maybe roughly 230 cm from the ground. Do any of you also notice the noise in low lamp mode?

It does indeed produce a very enjoyable and cinematic picture. I don't have an issue with the fan noise in low mode, even if I can hear it in quiet scenes its not annoying.

In e shift mode its not just that it gets louder but its the nature/frequency of the noise. It's a higher pitch whining noise that really can get on your nerves.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom