JVC DLA X5900/X7900/X9900 owners thread

You don't have to use E-shift with high lamp, or have I missed something there?
No I don't. When I will be experimenting with downscaling 4k I will leave it in high lamp.

epson eh-tw9400 is said to have more sharpness because of more obvious pixel structure.

does that mean jvc eshift has less sharpness and more detail?

I use e-shift for 4k material on my X7900, there's definitely an uptick in detail, running a Gaming HTPC I really notice it with 4k gaming.
Maybe it's more noticeable with gaming, but neither myself or the other two people with me could see a difference in detail on moving picture between 4k eshift and downscaled to 1080p. We used a ripped UHD of Lucy. I'm sure we may have seen differences if we did a side by side comparison with freeze frames. Of course, it's also possible that we could just be lucky not to be blessed with the sharp eyesight you have;):D

Maybe it's more noticeable with gaming, but neither myself or the other two people with me could see a difference in detail on moving picture between 4k eshift and downscaled to 1080p. We used a ripped UHD of Lucy. I'm sure we may have seen differences if we did a side by side comparison with freeze frames. Of course, it's also possible that we could just be lucky not to be blessed with the sharp eyesight you have;):D
When I think about it I actually tested downscaling with MadVR of 4k to 1080p and I concluded that I preferred e-shift to MadVR's downscaling (but in general proffered native unaltered signal so 1080p for my JVC so normal BDs).

Let's see what Lumagen can do.

I definitely see the benefits with films too, most particularly film shot catalogue titles of films I'm very familiar with, the one that springs to mind is The Shining's opening driving sequence which shows detail that is a clear step up from 1080p. Other examples are film sequences where you have fine line detail in the background such as chain-link fences, overhead telephone wires, etc.

I definitely see the benefits with films too, most particularly film shot catalogue titles of films I'm very familiar with, the one that springs to mind is The Shining's opening driving sequence which shows detail that is a clear step up from 1080p. Other examples are film sequences where you have fine line detail in the background such as chain-link fences, overhead telephone wires, etc.
Maybe I'll do a more extensive comparison, thanks👍

I preferred native 1080p signal because it felt calmer to watch. Maybe it was down to motion reproduction as mentioned earlier.

And in case of MadVR, I did not like the quality of downsampling.

Hello, just dropping in to see if anybody on the thread is looking to sell their projector? I did put a post on the classifieds but nothing doing over there.

Is anyone willing to share their MadVR settings? I am using a X7500 in a bat cave and recently have needed to turn off enhanced HDMI signal format as the latest Nvidia drivers have borked my setup.

I have gone back to everything in 1080p and use MPC with MadVR. I took the settings from our American cousins, but really don’t know what I am doing, I just punched them in and went with it.

Isn't enhanced HDMI just PC levels (0-255) rather than limited (16-235)?

I can share my MadVR settings if that's useful, what version are you running?

Isn't enhanced HDMI just PC levels (0-255) rather than limited (16-235)?

I can share my MadVR settings if that's useful, what version are you running?
Might have got the setting name wrong, it is the HDMI setting in my Marantz that doesn’t play nice with the new drivers (4K Enhanced or something similar).

I am using the latest version of MadVR. I update regularly, not sure why?

Ah, ok, that might be different then. I assume you meant Standard vs Extended (enhanced?) for the colour space in the PJ.

I run the latest everything, windows 11 insiders, latest Nvidia beta, latest beta of MadVR (205 I think). It works really well. I had a period where I was getting the odd audio drop out but it seems fine again now.

Do you know your peak nits? Maybe we take this to the MadVR thread and I can help there?

It is this setting in my Marantz: 4K Signal Format AV8805

If I put it on 'Enhanced' I get no image from 4K films in MPC with MadVR. All starting going wrong a few months back with Nvidia drivers. I think it may be related to the Magenta Bug. I have just turned it off for my sanity.

I don't know my Peak Nits, do I need a piece of equipment to measure? (Happy to pick this up in the MadVR thread).

It is this setting in my Marantz: 4K Signal Format AV8805

If I put it on 'Enhanced' I get no image from 4K films in MPC with MadVR. All starting going wrong a few months back with Nvidia drivers. I think it may be related to the Magenta Bug. I have just turned it off for my sanity.

I don't know my Peak Nits, do I need a piece of equipment to measure? (Happy to pick this up in the MadVR thread).
Interesting. I'm not sure what the max capability of the 7900 is but it seems like the Marantz will be doing some upscaling to specific chroma and bit depths that the JVC doesn't like. This might be fixable.

If you install LAV Filters as well as MadVR you should be able to choose the chroma sampling of the output. You can start with 4:2:2 8 bit and move up from there. The higher the bit depth the more bandwidth you need, so it might be limited by the ports in the PJ. The manual suggest support for both 4:2:2 and 4:4:4, but not what bitdepths those are supported at.

It's also worth looking in the JVC menu and checking what colour space the PJ is set to, it should be auto. That's in the picture adjust/input signal menu.

Interesting. I'm not sure what the max capability of the 7900 is but it seems like the Marantz will be doing some upscaling to specific chroma and bit depths that the JVC doesn't like. This might be fixable.

If you install LAV Filters as well as MadVR you should be able to choose the chroma sampling of the output. You can start with 4:2:2 8 bit and move up from there. The higher the bit depth the more bandwidth you need, so it might be limited by the ports in the PJ. The manual suggest support for both 4:2:2 and 4:4:4, but not what bitdepths those are supported at.

It's also worth looking in the JVC menu and checking what colour space the PJ is set to, it should be auto. That's in the picture adjust/input signal menu.
It all worked swimmingly well up until a few months ago and I updated my RTX 3080, I think it is the Nvidia drivers, but I also use the PC for gaming, so don't want to roll back.

I already have LAV filters installed, but will check the settings, as I couldn't tell you what they are on. Which section is the MadVR thread in?

MadVR and LAV will let you control the output colourspace and bit depth based on codec (or container) of the source. That means you should be able to get them to do all the scaling so that the PJ is sent a stream that it can handle. 4:4:4 12bit 4k 60Hz content takes a lot of bandwidth, I think it needs >40gbps.

Blurays and UHDs are mostly mastered at 10bit, so you probably don't need to go over that, and MadVR will scale everything to 10bit for you and that'll save bandwidth.

I don't believe there's anything wrong with the current nvidia drivers. I can check my version later and test with various combinations.

The MadVR thread is here: MadVR on PC as a Video Processor

• 4K signal input (4K60P 4:4:4, 4K60P 4:2:2/36-bit, 4K24P 4:4:4/36-bit)
I just give it up to 1080p 4:4:4 60hz 12 bit

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom