JVC DLA X5900/X7900/X9900 owners thread

I am in middle of sorting year end accounts. Then vat return. After that i will start to plan trips to see clients...Got a fair amount to get through but as you are not miles away you guys will likely be on the first tranche.

Looking forward to you getting the best out of my new x7900

I’m looking to play with the auto cal feature of the x7900 using my spider5Elite pro can any one send me some base settings for user input that I can have a play with. Till my ISF calibration happens in July. I have great results from using the x7900 review settings
I would love something for HDR 4K movies to have a play with. I’m in a bat cave if it makes a difference.

Everything I hear / read says do not run AutoCAL, only use it for gamma.. Anything else can cause worse results rather than better..

Well setting what phill put down in his review as base settings and running a full auto calibration in user 1 I was quite impressed. Much better than out the box. It’s only for me to have a play with till it’s done properly. It’s all booked I’m just waiting on Gordon to wave his magic wand.
where can I get some base settings.

If you want to have a play then something like the X-Rite i1Display Pro and HCFR may be of interest..

JVC X7900
In a batcave, roughly what would be the largest screen you could have using low lamp mode?

Assuming a white screen with a gain of 1.0, and wanting a calibrated image. Both SDR and HDR, not 3D.

Thanks

I don't know enough of the ins and outs, but there's the calculator here :-

I guess possible throw distance and SDR / HDR viewing material may factor in.

I may be wrong, but if in the calculator I aim for 85 nits, I can go from 133" - 147" max depending on throw distance 133" = 8.3m / 147" = 4.5m.

I also guess the above calculator is based on manufacturer figures and a brand new bulb..

How far away is projector from screen is the question at 4.5m I have 120” and am very happy with image and still await Calibration.

How far away is projector from screen is the question at 4.5m I have 120” and am very happy with image and still await Calibration.
Thanks. Lens about 4.1m from the screen. I expect to have it close to maximum zoom, for the largest image I can. About 9'6" wide, 48" high in scope. That width is the equivalent of just over 130" 16:9 diagonal (I'd zoom out a bit for 16:9).

jfinnie
fallinlight

Good afternoon! Has JVC solved the problem with your projector or have you decided to stay on the manual iris? Recently, problems with the dynamic iris returned to me (. I contacted JVC, and they will call from the service center on Monday ...

Last edited:
jfinnie
fallinlight

Good afternoon! Has JVC solved the problem with your projector or have you decided to stay on the manual iris? Recently, problems with the dynamic iris returned to me (. I contacted JVC, and they will call from the service center on Monday ...
It's hard to discern exactly what is the issue you're highlighting in the video.

I've never had issue with the DI - I only briefly tried it to see how it operates, and disliked the obvious way you can see it in operation. So I've always run with DI off.

The issue I had on my first unit was a complete failure of the Lamp iris - which is the really loud one every other step as you change the aperture setting. I had my first unit replaced due to this issue, and my second unit is fine; though it seems you can make these units grind that lamp iris if you do operations in a particular order around shutdown / startup with HDR vs non-HDR content. But I don't think it is related to the kind of "sticky" DI behaviour some end up with.

I’m looking to play with the auto cal feature of the x7900 using my spider5Elite pro can any one send me some base settings for user input that I can have a play with. Till my ISF calibration happens in July. I have great results from using the x7900 review settings
I would love something for HDR 4K movies to have a play with. I’m in a bat cave if it makes a difference.
Use the Spyder only for GAMMA. If you can get your hands on an Xrite i1 Display Pro, there is a mod file you can use so you can calibrate color with the Xrite i1 Display Pro. basically you replace a DLL so that when you select Spyder5 you are actually using the i1 Display Pro. Otherwise, you would need to get a more expensive i1 Pro 2 or the EFI-ES2000.

It's hard to discern exactly what is the issue you're highlighting in the video.

In the video, everything is clearly visible - DI blinks strongly when switching from a black frame to a light one.

In the video, everything is clearly visible - DI blinks strongly when switching from a black frame to a light one.
Might be clear to you as it's your unit, I can't discern what might be the autofocus shifting or the auto exposure changing. You'd do well to lock both of those if you want to make a clear video, and maybe add some descriptive audio to explain it.

Had x7900 calibrated yesterday by @Gordon @ Convergent AV
I can honestly say money well spent this is the absolute nuts now big thanks. Even the wife can tell the difference and that’s saying something.
See you when we get the OLED for the other room.

Hi Guys ,
Soon I'll have my first projector brand new x7900 ,fully calibrated to SDR , hdr1000,HDR 4000 ,hope I gonna be happy after OLED gz950😬... I made a black dedicated cinema room with 100inch screen in my house so should be ok .. I seen x5500(my friend have) but I've never seen before JVC x7900 😬 I waiting for delivery .

Out the box is ok but nothing special to what it will look like once Calibrated. And yes calibration is a must in my opinion.
120” 2.40:1screen at mine bat cave. Highly recommend @Gordon @ Convergent AV for ISf calibration.

at the moment 👌

Attachments

• IMG_20200101_193552~6.jpg
    IMG_20200101_193552~6.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 114
65inch it's not enough for me.
About our ads

at the moment 👌
Watching F1 1 day after Gordon’s calibration just using upscale of the Jvc projector to Faux 4K Live F1 Now Tv
Will post 4K pic tonight shame I haven’t got joker i could of taken pic of the same scene.

Attachments

• ABA5A470-F77B-4619-A088-9D0DE0F11B33.jpeg
    ABA5A470-F77B-4619-A088-9D0DE0F11B33.jpeg
    231.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 5F734810-C342-4B1D-80E3-D3E613D9DD10.jpeg
    5F734810-C342-4B1D-80E3-D3E613D9DD10.jpeg
    289.8 KB · Views: 113
I would try ideal av

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back