JVC DLA-X7000B D-ILA HDR Projector Review

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Good review Phil,

Still cannot understand why JVC are not releasing a native 4K with plenty 4K sources available and 4K bluray available in a few months.

I guess it has it's compromises and makes up for it in some small areas.
But the delay in handshaking on HDMI and bright corners should not be happening at this Level.

I would buy this in a heart beat over the 520 if it was any good at gaming. Any chance to comment on that? I am not into online and competitive gaming just the occasional Fallout 4 type of fun. Nice review BTW.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the review.

I saw an X5000 which was slightly noisy image wise compared to the 4k Sony and Epson LS1000 when showed split screen on a 3m wide screen at RickyJs (lumen output was not equalised so that may be why if it was comparatively brighter), but as you didn't see much evidence of that, would you say that was because of the lower black level and on/off CR capability?

Did you measure the lumen output? I couldn't see it in the report.

Cheers

Gary

Hi Gary,
Obviously I can't comment on what you saw, but during testing here and with the Iris closed down and set for this room, which is a bat cave, I didn't see any evidence of image noise on the X7000. When compared to the Sony they were matched brightness wise for an even playing field.
I didn't measure lumens, or gaming performance, but I will be requesting it back when UHD BD is launched, so will look at those points again then.

I don't think there is a point to buy a 4K projector today. Without 4K movies it's just wasting your money for a new technology... I think that's why JVC doesn't really use 4K panels in their new projector line up... It's worths for them and worths for us as well.
I would rather spend my money on a good JVC than an expensive 4K Sony which doesn't have those "Blacks". But that's just me. :)

unless its for gaming as well?? No report on this part yet. I know the JVC is slow just want to know how slow.

I haven't posted a comment for quite some time but curiocity got the best of me as I am saving for a JVC projector this year. Seeing the 2 reviews JVC X5000 (DLA-X5000B) from Steve Withers and this one from Phil Hinton I have to ask. On the Rundown of each reviews we see slightly differrent results for many aspects like Contrast/Dynamic Range/Black levels where the 5000 takes 10/10 while the 7000 takes 9/10 and so in 3D Picture Quality 9/10 for the 5000 and 8/10 in the 7000 and so on in other aspects. What is th reason for this discrepancy putting in mind that the 7000 being more expensive I would expect these aspects to be either the same or slightly better than the 5000. Is there a different "ethos" or "standard" between the two reviewers or is the 7000 inferior to the 5000? Isn't there suppose to be some sort of continuity between reviews from differrent reviewers?

I mean no disrespect for the fantastic job you guys are doing it is just a genuine enquiry.

Different reviewers and different price points for the products. No other reason.

may I humbly request a short answer to my question on gaming?:(

I don't think there is a point to buy a 4K projector today. Without 4K movies it's just wasting your money for a new technology.

I see your point to an extent. But Amazon are already streaming in 4K/HDR (though not everyone's internet is up to it), and UHD Blu-ray is literally just a few months away.

Anyone buying a new projector in this price bracket, apart from the ultra-rich, will be keeping it for several years, and one would presume that for 90%+ of that time they will have the option of 4K content.

So you could just as easily argue that buying a 1080p projector, when 4K content is just around the corner, is a waste of money.

In addition, we shouldn't discount the benefits of 1080p upscaled to 4K. I suspect much (most?) of the improvements gained from 'going 4k' will be gained from upscaling. There will be little extra detail to be resolved in many films, but one might see pixel and line structure on a 1080p display if sat close enough.

Finally, for those with 'scope screens, the zoom method may bring individual pixels into view with 1080p which it wouldn't with 4k.

The benefits of 4k are debatable, some might say dubious, but I wouldn't discount the validity of buying a 4K display now, even if UHD were to fail.

Steve W

I see [snip]
Some fair points, but one major thorn in the side of your argument is that to get the same features as the JVC on a native 4K projector you have to go with the VW520ES, which is almost £3.5 - 4k more expensive than the X7000 with E-shift4. Given there isn't a massive night and day difference in resolution as per the review results, that's a lot of money to drop right now. Plus the X7000 is £2K cheaper than the outgoing X700 which makes it a best buy at the price vs features point.
Also I zoom for 2.40:1 on a 110" scope screen and can't see the pixels from 8ft back and doubt it is an issue for anyone doing similar.

I am really tossing between the Sony 520 and the 7000 and so are a couple of mates but we all need good gaming performance, that is the only thing the Sony are ahead with which keeps quite a few in their camps, I just wish JVC had done something about it as it is now a popular feature even though I clearly understand this is a movie focused PJ but still all other manufacturers have this mode. They would win many more over.

Phil, I thought there would be some more comparison against the Epson LS1000 given the price point??

Some fair points, but one major thorn in the side of your argument is that to get the same features as the JVC on a native 4K projector you have to go with the VW520ES, which is almost £3.5 - 4k more expensive than the X7000 with E-shift4. Given there isn't a massive night and day difference in resolution as per the review results, that's a lot of money to drop right now. Plus the X7000 is £2K cheaper than the outgoing X700 which makes it a best buy at the price vs features point.
Also I zoom for 2.40:1 on a 110" scope screen and can't see the pixels from 8ft back and doubt it is an issue for anyone doing similar.

I have a 2.00:1 screen. When I zoom it to fill the central 16:9 portion and mask I effectively have a 113" 16:9 screen. And at a seating distance of about 11.5' I can just see pixel structure very occasionally on some material (it has to be the right material, including the right colour). It's one of those things, it's so rare that it doesn't bother me, but it's just there, very occasionally.

I find the experience very similar with my 55" OLED TV in the lounge. If I sit on the floor in front of my sofa (which is very slight closer in relation to screen height than the seating in my cinema room) I can clearly make out line stepping on some objects. If I sit on the sofa in my normal seating position (slightly further away, proportionally, than my cinema room seating), I can't.

Bizarrely this may be due to me having less than perfect vision. Because of that I wear glasses/contact lenses. For 20/20 vision you're supposed to be able to make out the 3rd from bottom line on the eye-chart. But because my sight isn't all that bad, mine is corrected so that I can just make out the bottom line.

So my corrected vision is a little better than average, which might account for it.

Sorry - I should say that I agree with your points on price. I was talking more about buying a 4K projector vs 1080p, rather than native 4K vs e-shift.

I suspect that, even taking e-shift out of the equation, the JVC will be a very good 1080p projector for the price. So, with added faux-4K, that makes it a great buy. The Sonys are great, but...my oh my, they're not cheap.

Steve W

But because my sight isn't all that bad, mine is corrected so that I can just make out the bottom line.

So my corrected vision is a little better than average, which might account for it.

Steve W
C'mon, Steve, just tell your optician not to be so fussy at your next test!!

C'mon, Steve, just tell your optician not to be so fussy at your next test!!

It drives me potty.

I get my contact lenses by post, new ones every 2 weeks. If I have a new pair in, I can see better. If it's a 13 day old pair, that just takes the very edge off my vision.

Maybe I should keep a variety of pairs of lenses of different ages, based on what I'm watching. A bit like the umpire's box of spare replacement cricket balls in a test match. :D

I know it sounds like a joke (especially to those who don't wear glasses) but whether or not I've cleaned my glasses make a difference, too. You don't actually see splodges or fingerprints, everything just looks that little bit less clear.

Steve W

... and can't see the pixels from 8ft back and doubt it is an issue for anyone doing similar.

Hi Phil.

Sorry, I can't remember if you're using an AT screen or not. If it is, what material are you using?

Thanks

Gary

I don't think there is a point to buy a 4K projector today. Without 4K movies it's just wasting your money for a new technology... I think that's why JVC doesn't really use 4K panels in their new projector line up... It's worths for them and worths for us as well.
I would rather spend my money on a good JVC than an expensive 4K Sony which doesn't have those "Blacks". But that's just me. :)
A rather strange point to make, if you are looking for a new TV today its difficult to actually find a new TV model that is 1080p they all seem to be 4K and there is plenty of 4K material out there. Why have projectors lagged behind TV's in producing more 4K models

I would buy this in a heart beat over the 520 if it was any good at gaming. Any chance to comment on that? I am not into online and competitive gaming just the occasional Fallout 4 type of fun. Nice review BTW.
Played Drive club on Ps4 last night and was great
I've also heard the negative comments about gaming on the JVCs and it's not as bad as you hear
If in doubt,get a demo as I think Sonys projectors are way overpriced
One happy JVC X7000 owner here [emoji106]

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom