JVC DLA-X7900 D-ILA Projector Review & Comments

Thanks for the review.
To get the Sony 360s Native resolution to Native 1:1 pixel an option in the service menu needs to be changed. Then I bet you will seen a difference between true Native 4k and e-shifted from your seated distance.

Sample X9500 (x9xx are even softer) Vs VW760 same lens as in VW360s.

LUCY | JVC X9500/RS620 V SONY 760/885ES #1 : Screenshot Comparison

Last edited:
Thanks for the review.
To get the Sony 360s Native resolution to Native 1:1 pixel an option in the service menu needs to be changed. Then I bet you will seen a difference between true Native 4k and e-shifted from your seated distance.
Why would Sony release a projector that doesn't 1:1 out of the box? I've fully tested the VW360ES using the native panel and panel zoom functions. It is not going to make any huge difference in terms of resolution and besides, as I say in all these reviews, there's more to it than just resolution. In that respect the VW360ES can't match the JVC.

Another top notch review that other reviewers should take note of, one thing I am surprised about however is why projector manufactures still haven’t added Dolby vision, as I would have thought it would be ideal for use with projectors.

On a side note, have you got any of the new sub £5000 laser projectors in for review yet, (Some online shops are showing the Acer laser at £3500) as theoretically it could really shake up the market.

Merry Christmas

Bill

Another top notch review that other reviewers should take note of, one thing I am surprised about however is why projector manufactures still haven’t added Dolby vision, as I would have thought it would be ideal for use with projectors.

On a side note, have you got any of the new sub £5000 laser projectors in for review yet, (Some online shops are showing the Acer laser at £3500) as theoretically it could really shake up the market.

Merry Christmas

Bill
Thanks for the kind words, Bill. We will be looking at these in the new year after CES, so stay tuned and Merry Christmas.

Why would Sony release a projector that doesn't 1:1 out of the box? I've fully tested the VW360ES using the native panel and panel zoom functions. It is not going to make any huge difference in terms of resolution and besides, as I say in all these reviews, there's more to it than just resolution. In that respect the VW360ES can't match the JVC.
Agree. I have tested the 9900/9500 760ES/Z1 and from normal distance the absolute resolution difference is minimal and I prefered the JVC image over the Sony with SDR, especially with low APL stuff there is no comparison end of story. Not to mention the Sony will dither 60p 4:2:2 or higher which introduces banding etc. There is more fine detail on the Sony though if you look hard. The service menu tweak does help.
Also found that eshift 5 softens the image compared to the previous version but it's very slight.

Thanks for the review.

Bad comparison as one of those shots looks close to being calibrated (the Sony) and the JVC doesn't.

Having said that, as I say every time, I love JVC but refuse to buy a fake 4K projector.

Come on JVC - release a proper one that isn't 10s of thousands please :)

one thing I am surprised about however is why projector manufactures still haven’t added Dolby vision, as I would have thought it would be ideal for use with projectors.
From what I understand as of yet there isn't a published Dolby Vision for projectors spec; so there isn't anything for manufacturers to add yet. There was quite a lot of debate over at "the other place" on whether it would ever happen.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...041-dolby-vision-coming-front-projectors.html

@Phil Hinton, Good review, I agree about the autocalibration, the Spyder 5 isn't the best but a Spyder 5 express is only £90. I use the autocal to get the gamma in line which it does well then use a better meter with Chromapure to get the greyscale tracking better. Doing this you get ruler flat gamma.
In the autocal software there is also a manual gamma editor (12pt from memory) so you can still manually adjust the gamma. Why this couldn't be in the projector controls is a mystery.

Great review, is there enough of an improvement to upgrade from a x7000, just for watching movies, or not significantly better? Cheers

JVC really are king when it comes to projectors, great review many thanks.

Thanks for the review.

Hi, That is a not even close to a controlled same-time-same-gear comparison sorry.

I own the JVC in that comparison and thats my image. It is also calibrated, the Sony which is onwed by a different person in the UK was not calibrated.

They are two competely different situations, the JVC in Australia with 22mpixel Canon And the Sony was a different user in the UK with a 44mpixel Nikon. Different gear, way different settings and source players, different continents!

The Sony 760 will of course be sharper but those photos are not a fair comparison, I made that very clear in the AVS thread you took that link from.

Cheers

Great review, is there enough of an improvement to upgrade from a x7000, just for watching movies, or not significantly better? Cheers

Hi

I don’t claim to be the expert, but from what I gather the X7000/7500/7900 are broadly the same when it comes to playing Blu-ray, so it would be pointless spending thousands to upgrade just for that.

I think the main improvements in each generation were the addition of gaming mode to the X7500, so if you’re a gamer then that’s important (the lag in my X500 makes gaming a no go and I imagine the X7000 is similar). The gaming mode in the X7500 reduces input lag to similar to a tv (40m/s or similar I think?) so it’s no longer an issue.

I think the major additional benefit of the X7900 is the new HDR modes so I’d expect playback of UHDBD to be better than either of the X7000/7500.

think the major additional benefit of the X7900 is the new HDR modes so I’d expect playback of UHDBD to be better than either of the X7000/7500.
The X7500 also has the improved HDR mode, the main difference between the X7000 and X7900 is the HDR mode and Eshift5. Looking at owners feedback it’s not clear that eshift 5 is actually better than 4.

great review as always !! keep up the good work!!! :)

The X7900 cost 5600 Euro in my country and the X5900 3600 E...... Is it worth the 2000 E more ?? Or will i get almost the same picture quality for less money ?

Thanks!!

P.S. The X7500 cost the same as X7900...... :S

HDR aside and considering that the X7900 is faux 4K, is there much of an improvement in picture quality on 4K UHD discs over standard Blu Ray?

And can anyone comment on the 3D and wether it has improved over the last couple of generations.

I have an X500 and I am a big fan of 3D, eventually I would like to move up to 4K but not sure if it is worth the £xxxx outlay.

Thanks, any input appreciated

HDR aside and considering that the X7900 is faux 4K, is there much of an improvement in picture quality on 4K UHD discs over standard Blu Ray?

And can anyone comment on the 3D and wether it has improved over the last couple of generations.

I have an X500 and I am a big fan of 3D, eventually I would like to move up to 4K but not sure if it is worth the £xxxx outlay.

Thanks, any input appreciated
Thats pretty much the exact same questions I was about to ask myself. I currently have an X70 which I still think is amazing but was wondering if its time for an upgrade.

I dont quite get how these work. I know that the x70 only accepts 1080p and uses eshift to do a faux 4k image, but if these accept a 4k signal how does that work?

One extra question id like to know the answer too is has the chassis changed from the x70 and would my current ceiling mount still work, its a cyberselect mount that was for x70/x75

Thats pretty much the exact same questions I was about to ask myself. I currently have an X70 which I still think is amazing but was wondering if its time for an upgrade.

I dont quite get how these work. I know that the x70 only accepts 1080p and uses eshift to do a faux 4k image, but if these accept a 4k signal how does that work?

One extra question id like to know the answer too is has the chassis changed from the x70 and would my current ceiling mount still work, its a cyberselect mount that was for x70/x75
My guess would be that, no, there won’t be much difference. HDR and slightly better colours I would think .... the JVC’s are after all a 1080p design.

I can only comment on an Epson 9300. 4K discs are noticeably sharper than standard blu rays. Doing a direct comparison with Dunkirk and the difference was pretty obvious. More detail on things like clothing, skin, hair, etc.

T2 was the biggest difference I have seen so far.

My guess would be that, no, there won’t be much difference. HDR and slightly better colours I would think .... the JVC’s are after all a 1080p design.
I think you may be right mate. I am still very happy with the X70, and Ive had it almost 6 years. I think I may hold off for a native 4k projector before making the upgrade. I doubt I would be able to wait another 6 years for the next upgrade if went for this and the next year or two they released a native 4k PJ.

I can only comment on an Epson 9300. 4K discs are noticeably sharper than standard blu rays. Doing a direct comparison with Dunkirk and the difference was pretty obvious. More detail on things like clothing, skin, hair, etc.

T2 was the biggest difference I have seen so far.

Thats cool, so do these projectors take a 4k signal downscale the image to 1080p then use trickery to produce a faux 4k image. So by using a 4k source you are still getting gains compared to using a 1080p source.

Im at the stage now where I am contemplating buying UHD Blu Rays as apposed to standard Blu Rays, but havent bought any yet as I only watch them on my PJ which wont accept a 4k source. I guess it might be time to start, even if for just future proofing.

Thats cool, so do these projectors take a 4k signal downscale the image to 1080p then use trickery to produce a faux 4k image. So by using a 4k source you are still getting gains compared to using a 1080p source.

Im at the stage now where I am contemplating buying UHD Blu Rays as apposed to standard Blu Rays, but havent bought any yet as I only watch them on my PJ which wont accept a 4k source. I guess it might be time to start, even if for just future proofing.

Put it this way, I’m now starting to double dip on my collection, the dark knight trilogy in 4K has arrived today!!

I think you can buy a gizmo called an HD fury that will allow your X70 to take a 4k input. Not sure if the X70 will be bright enough to take advantage of HDR and the wider colour gamut, that seems to be where the newer models like the X7900 really shine. Lol kudos to JVC for wringing every last drop out of 1080P!

Phil - have you checked the panel convergence compared to the X5900 or Sony? Is it better or worse?

X70 cannot ever receive a 4K signal. It can only convert a 1080p signal to something 4kish internally and then display that on the screen in two alternating sets of diagonally overlapping pixels.

The ability to receive 4K (albeit with only HDCP1.4) came in with the X500. For those displays an HDFury device can allow connection of modern HDCP2 signals. But you'll have to do something else with the HDR (either custom curves in the projector, or allow the player to convert).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom