JVC N5/RS1000/N7/RS2000 NX9/RS3000 owners thread

No harm in trying to get the best out of the basic controls Tim :thumbsup:.

We watched despicable me 2 3D last night, the dimensionality is quite something, very pleased with the 3D on the N 😎

No harm in trying to get the best out of the basic controls Tim :thumbsup:.
martin once you have done your best let it go and enjoy the stunning images

are you happy that the N7 overall was worth your investment?

martin once you have done your best let it go and enjoy the stunning images

are you happy that the N7 overall was worth your investment?

I had a decent deal Tim, now whether it was worth the ££££ to upgrade from my x7900 is a difficult one to answer. At this level i would say increments V £ are much smaller, in reply to your question though imo I’m glad I went ahead with the swap. I didn’t have any bright corners at all on the x7900 and base blacks were better on my plain white screen in my room, sharpness also seemed better BUT was maybe due to eshift V native. N7 native gives a cleaner looking very natural image.

Last edited:
Well in true JVC style the gamma has gone south after 31hrs 🧐, I’m going to have to brush up on the autocal and run that. I do wish JVC would just bench run them and readjust gamma/zero the clock before shipping. It’s no big deal and will get it done soon.

Hey all,

Started having a weird issue a few days back, it seems that the black floor has been raised slightly on an N7 /NX7. I've factory reset even though it was calibrated and that didn't resolve.. as it turns out, this seems to have unmasked some irregularities in the black uniformity.

For example, you know these have a tendency to go slightly brighter for a moment when locking onto a source and then dim back to it's native black floor, it's as if this is just stuck on that raised level. It's also unmasked some very light horizontal bars, they don't span the whole way across but are roughly half way down and about a 3rd across the screen - never saw them before.

It's clearly affected the overall contrast, all content seems to have taken a bit of a hit from it.

One thing I should mention, I recently (few weeks back) started getting random white noise / snow when playing a 4K bluray from a UB820 connected to an Arcam 850 and the 850 connected by the Ruipro 10m fibre cable to the PJ. This worked flawlessly for almost a year, so when the issue began I spoke with Arcam, they suggested using a power injector. I brought the Lindy one of Amazon UK as the Ruipro is impossible to get. Plugged it in at the source end and couldn't get a picture, I tried multiple USB adaptors - nothing! Plugged it in at the PJ end and it worked but didn't fix the random loss of sync / snow - guessing because the Ruipro is powered from the source and not the display so the injector is not making any difference.

Since the timing is about right, could the power injector have screwed the PJ somehow? Why would it affect the black floor and not the HDMI ports?

It is also worth mentioning that in testing last night, I could hear the dynamic iris moving and pumping slightly on an all black screen, you could visibly see the black floor going up and down.. maybe it's a coincidence and it's a faulty iris?? I've never heard the iris in action before and it's behaviour seemed a little odd.

Many thanks

To add, I've connected the sources directly and made the chain as simple as possible, checked all settings, nothing seems to bring the black floor back.

Since the timing is about right, could the power injector have screwed the PJ somehow? Why would it affect the black floor and not the HDMI ports?

It's quite possible, AVSforum owners thread has a couple of recent, some older, cases of HDMI board damage from HDMI over voltage caused by cables. JVC took care of those cases under warranty....

It's quite possible, AVSforum owners thread has a couple of recent, some older, cases of HDMI board damage from HDMI over voltage caused by cables. JVC took care of those cases under warranty....
Thank you, I had noted some of those comments. Hmm, to contact JVC next then and see what they say I guess.

@Harry1983 Might be wise to change the HDMI cable just in case it's over-volting the connector and repeats the issue on the repaired unit. I've used several of these cables with my x9500 and currently use an AVR850 with it. No power injector needed.

Amazon product ASIN B07L2Y52LW
I'm sure others have their own recommendations, this one just works solidly for me.

@Harry1983 Might be wise to change the HDMI cable just in case it's over-volting the connector and repeats the issue on the repaired unit. I've used several of these cables with my x9500 and currently use an AVR850 with it. No power injector needed.

Amazon product ASIN B07L2Y52LW
I'm sure others have their own recommendations, this one just works solidly for me.
That's a good shout, will try tonight when it's dark. Unfortunately, that's what Arcam said to do.. now regretting. The original issue seems to have been something else.

Thanks for the link, I'll order that anyway as I want to run a second cable.

i use a ruipro 10m cable direct to my arcam avr 390 with no power injector whatever that is - i thought the whole point of fibre optic hdmi was that you could have much longer than 10m runs with no signal loss

isnt your dealer the first point of call warranty issues?

good luck

i use a ruipro 10m cable direct to my arcam avr 390 with no power injector whatever that is - i thought the whole point of fibre optic hdmi was that you could have much longer than 10m runs with no signal loss

isnt your dealer the first point of call warranty issues?

good luck
Cheers! Yes, but the Arcam has had it's own issues with locking up, it was suggested at the time.

Just got off the blower to JVC support, they are sending me 311 firmware to try before returning.

There isn't much point going through Alan @ Ideal if JVC will sort directly as Alan will only get that ball rolling anyway.

To add, I've connected the sources directly and made the chain as simple as possible, checked all settings, nothing seems to bring the black floor back.
So have you tried turning the Iris to manual, does this stabilise things?

So have you tried turning the Iris to manual, does this stabilise things?
I did, it does mitigate it when the value is reduced (-10 and lower) at the expense of brightness, shouldn't really be like that.

Just got the new firmware, will test once the sun goes down.

did they say what 3.11 does over 3.10?

I did, it does mitigate it when the value is reduced (-10 and lower) at the expense of brightness, shouldn't really be like that.

Just got the new firmware, will test once the sun goes down.

I’m guessing that if the black floor is stable and in no way inconsistent on a manual setting, you could assume the dynamic Iris is getting confused. Hopefully a firmware update will reset whatever drives the dynamic Iris.

I’m guessing that if the black floor is stable and in no way inconsistent on a manual setting, you could assume the dynamic Iris is getting confused. Hopefully a firmware update will reset whatever drives the dynamic Iris.
Yes, that's precisely what I'm hoping for, let's see.. JVC wanted me to check the iris as one of the first things after the update. If not, I will have to run a factory reset from the engineers menu as a last ditch before shipping back.

Issue resolved, after firmware installed, it went through that awful grinding stage for about 10 seconds that the last firmware also did and I think that unstuck the iris..

finally got round to running an autocal again today (after ~1000hrs), had no visible reason to other than it's been a while and I needn't have bothered as it had barely drifted in SDR and just lost a bit of output in DCI-P3 (but still measured pretty linearly vs target)

finally got round to running an autocal again today (after ~1000hrs), had no visible reason to other than it's been a while and I needn't have bothered as it had barely drifted in SDR and just lost a bit of output in DCI-P3 (but still measured pretty linearly vs target)

Which meter are you using?

SpyderX and i1pro (with an i1d3 for verification)

I've got the SpyderX, just building up the courage to purchase the i1Pro, although I think I will go for the EFI ES-2000 as this seems to be the same sensor and has been proven to work elsewhere. Just waiting for a good one to come up on eBay.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom