JVC N5/RS1000/N7/RS2000 NX9/RS3000 owners thread

I see there’s going to be an updated firmware nearer Christmas, apparently.

Yup. I’m told it’s altering the throw distance so you can have your pj a bit closer. Save moving it back 😜
Yeah and restoring Gamma to! 😂🤣

Encouraging that firmware for major upgrades are still coming for this range

Yes over on AVS it has been mentioned that a new firmware for N5,N7 and NX9 is due around November and December. Said to be a related to a big improvement to DTM performance.

Also been posted that JVC have confirmed there will be no new JVC projector launches this year.

So the question then is, will Sony bring out something new this year?

EDIT: Started a separate thread about it.

Last edited:
Encouraging that firmware for major upgrades are still coming for this range
Yes but as these are still the latest models I would expect nothing less to be honest. Sounds interesting for DTM, mine seems pretty good as it is.

come on martin they used to roll out a new machine annually with little more than a slightly upgraded version of eshift

the only competition is Sony and i dont think they have matched the original auto tone mapping that the N series had out of the box let alone add and then refine a dynamic frame by frame tone mapping solution

under the X series model range we would be on the 3rd iteration by now and I would had have had to upgrade at least once to add frame adapt HDR as i bought my N5 in march 19. personally i would much rather the industry moved away from bringing out a new model every year and instead issued upgrades free to loyal purchasers to keep their expensive purchases relevant for longer - especially receiver manufacturers

Yes for whatever reason, I'm glad things have worked out how they have with the Nx, really adding value to what is a significant investment!

come on martin they used to roll out a new machine annually with little more than a slightly upgraded version of eshift

the only competition is Sony and i dont think they have matched the original auto tone mapping that the N series had out of the box let alone add and then refine a dynamic frame by frame tone mapping solution

under the X series model range we would be on the 3rd iteration by now and I would had have had to upgrade at least once to add frame adapt HDR as i bought my N5 in march 19. personally i would much rather the industry moved away from bringing out a new model every year and instead issued upgrades free to loyal purchasers to keep their expensive purchases relevant for longer - especially receiver manufacturers

but this is the first series that can be updated with f/w from home isn’t it ?.i never heard of any update for my X series I had.

didnt have one before only an X30 back in the day

if they were still doing the "come on chaps its eshift 2.5" shtick there is no way they would have given these updates for free

just cos you can provide new features by downloaded firmware doesnt mean they had to - i am still firmly in the praise JVC for this one (and the last one for that matter)

didnt have one before only an X30 back in the day

if they were still doing the "come on chaps its eshift 2.5" shtick there is no way they would have given these updates for free

just cos you can provide new features by downloaded firmware doesnt mean they had to - i am still firmly in the praise JVC for this one (and the last one for that matter)

just my opinion.

and mine

Thanks for the reply’s 🙂, I’m going to try and get the mount moved back this weekend, will be nice to fill the screen again and not have to use every bit of zoom.

It would of been nice if the N7 had a dedicated picture mode/3D settings, I was thinking i could just adjust the Natural pic mode after 3D was detected but it stick when going back to 2D. It’s no biggie though just changing to a user mode And set that up.

we watched men in black 3 last night and I had forgotten how good the 3D was on this title and the N7 gave a great overall performance!. It’s definitely a smoother looking picture which can give the impression it’s not quite as sharp as the X7900 was but I’m sure it’s just the smoothness.

A similar problem was with my X7900, which is currently going to a service center. I thought again about switching to the N-series, but the report of the same problems with DI in the new line (as well as more pronounced "bright corners", yellowing when working with DI, increased noise at room temperatures of 25 C and above, worse contrast) makes my brain explode.

I watch too much telly. Have just replaced the bulb on my N5 after 3865 hours. Replacement was a doddle - with an original JVC bulb for £400. The screen had got noticeably dimmer about a month before the warning came.

Does anyone know if the warning is triggered by hours of use or bulb performance? After replacing it, the warning kept coming on whenever I turned the projector on, until I reset lamp hours.

Last edited:
Seems like the resolution to my issue by installing 3.11 was short lived. Can an N7 owner please run the white bouncing ball against a black background test from YouTube (there's only one) and let me know if you get any weird anomalies, when I run it, there is the best I can describe as petals of light that surround the ball as it moves around (I totally accept that there will be slight halo due to the lens, reflections etc). The petals kind of radiate outwards, the only way I can get the black floor to reach its native levels and to get rid of the petal anomalies is by reducing to -15 on the manual iris. It's almost like the projector is running too bright.
To recreate, lamp is on low, manual iris fully open with an SDR picture mode. Around -13 is when the petals start to disappear.

Thanks in advance.

I watch too much telly. Have just replaced the bulb on my N5 after 3865 hours. Replacement was a doddle - with an original JVC bulb for £400. The screen had got noticeably dimmer about a month before the warning came.

Does anyone know if the warning is triggered by hours of use or bulb performance? After replacing it, the warning get coming on whenever I turned the projector on, until I reset lamp hours.
I believe is just done on hour values

Well after the gamma adjustment and calibration the image is fantastic but jeez these things kick.out major heat!!

Watching The Incredibles 1080p blu ray, looks err .. Incredible! 😂, Forgot how good this 5.1 soundtrack is, huge bass at times 🙃

Watching The Incredibles 1080p blu ray, looks err .. Incredible! 😂, Forgot how good this 5.1 soundtrack is, huge bass at times 🙃
1080 Blu-ray can look pretty great, Monsters Inc and Ice Age are sometimes stunning.. not that I watch them

1080 Blu-ray can look pretty great, Monsters Inc and Ice Age are sometimes stunning.. not that I watch them
I love Animation especially 3D, monsters inc looks mint, not watched it on the N7 yet but here’s a shot from the X7900.
5BB57F4D-3D5B-4729-A86E-A1B89306E523.jpeg
F4406479-16A9-4387-9306-97BB169D7CEA.jpeg

That does look good, tricky to get a good shot with a cam but you've done a pretty good job there! Great animation as it goes - not that I'd know because I've never seen it but props for the photography work 😉

I take it that the x7900 has a better black floor than the newest models? Hopefully next gen, they will improve it but it's not something that seems to be a real issue and I've not been wanting in that although my N7 is driving me slightly nuts with its current issue.

I take it that the x7900 has a better black floor than the newest models? Hopefully next gen, they will improve it but it's not something that seems to be a real issue and I've not been wanting in that although my N7 is driving me slightly nuts with its current issue.
On paper the x7900 has a CR of 130,000 compared to I think 80,000:1 native for N7, I’m much happier with blacks now gamma is in order and I even disabled Di auto 2 tonight to see what native looks like.
I don’t have the ££££ now but my next purchase will be an ALR Screen, Screen Innovations look great and come recommended from my chosen dealer. However if this was borderless at 104” or 106” I would take a punt!

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
i thought after the ladder lines issue all draper screens with react material were made borderless for several years

my old 2.1 is borderless and i have a couple of friends with react 3 screens and they are borderless

i thought after the ladder lines issue all draper screens with react material were made borderless for several years

my old 2.1 is borderless and i have a couple of friends with react 3 screens and they are borderless
I don’t know, maybe they are borderless I was just going by the picture on the manual. I’ve sent a question to the seller.
did you say on the borderless 104” you can actually project a 106” image ?.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom