JVC X500 & JVC X700 projector plus JVC X900 owners thread

soupdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It won't be long until these new projectors start finding themselves in our homes so time to start an owners thread!

I've gone for the X700 which I'm hoping will bring a few nice benefits to the already stunning JVC images that I've become accustomed to with my previous X90 projector. This will be JVC number 4 for me having previously owned the HD750 and the X3 before the most recent X90.

I'll reserve a couple of spaces for my unboxing and some screenshots but in the meantime, here's a few bits and bobs about JVC's new offerings.

1st up, this is the new features this year:

900x900px-LL-5c536308_image.jpeg

Next up - this is the contrast offerings both natively and with the new intelligent aperture (dynamic iris to you and me) The 1.5 million on the X900 sound nice!

900x900px-LL-6ef1b84e_Gamier-597x399.jpeg

The clear black feature might be good, this is a diagram to show what it can do - will be interested to see how it works with real world material:

900x900px-LL-66861b38_Clear-Black-597x355.jpeg

Next up is the new wire grid - smaller space between pixels is going to increase light output and move from 1200 lumens to 1300 now on these new 3 models. Look how bad and grey the blacks are on last years model - horrendous! Can't remember my X90 looking bad like that so a bit of artistic license used here by JVC or maybe just being a little economical with the truth but hey, its getting better so I suppose thats all that counts!

900x900px-LL-dd3bbfcb_Nouveaux-D-iLA-597x236.jpeg

So with all the talk of 4k, this is a pictorial of how it works. I'm sure we can all discuss this later once its a reality and we have 4k sources at our disposal:

900x900px-LL-a8bd5587_4K-input.jpeg

Looks pretty simple when you see it like that.

So talking of 4k and 1080p upscaling, we've a new way of viewing e-shift and that with a new process called auto. I think this is basically localised analysis of content within each frame and applying a particular piece of processing for that part of the frame, rather than a blanket process over the full image. I stand to be corrected on this but thats the gist of it hopefully:

900x900px-LL-ff42bebd_08s.jpeg

This slide's a bit messy but is tells a little bit about the dynamic contrast but the bit that made me smile was the bit at the bottom - absolute winner!!!

900x900px-LL-e1676cf6_07s.jpeg

So thats it for now - hopefully we'll have loads to talk about with these new features. The Intelligent aperture/dynamic iris/revolutionary winner thingy is the thing that excites me the most so looking forward to having a play with that.

I'll edit in more stuff into the 1st few posts as it becomes available to try and keep the key info on the 1st page.

And last but not least, here's the manual:

http://books.jvc.com/Download/454120871/PC027183199.pdf

Last edited:
Good work, looks like these will land in Europe on the 23rd December unfortunately too late for Christmas as the initial landing date of the 16th was delayed. We should be the first week or so into the new year though when we see these coming through. I have an X700 winging it's way for demo and am really looking forward to what it promises. I look forward to hearing your views once you have it set up.

the X500 I'll have on Monday/Tuesday so I'll put it through it paces over Christmas, my X700 as Dan says is due early jan so side by side testing/demoing will be good to do

merry Christmas everyone

I will watch this thread with interest. I have owned 3 so far my last one being the X70. Still loving that one so far but will be nice to hear how the new series compares.

I will watch this thread with interest. I have owned 3 so far my last one being the X70. Still loving that one so far but will be nice to hear how the new series compares.

hi Darren

I've seen the pre-pro 700 & 900 which looked amazing and word has it from a very top insider who I trust 100% that the 500 is a cracking machine as well

let's just wait & see what it's like in the real world though

a bit later in the year than usual but hopefully very much worth the wait :thumbsup:

E shift 3 pics, courtesy of benny turbo on hi-fi forum:

Off

1388159356215.jpg

On. Notice how the eyelashes don't thicken which was an eshift 2 problem.

1388159371939.jpg

Off.

1388159390140.jpg

And eshift on. Look at the stair effect on the right corner of her mouth above and how it is smoothed out below. Eshift process looks nice and clean here.

1388159405992.jpg

....and look at the bottom pics, the teeth to the right. In 1080p you can clearly see the stair effect. Upscaled with e-shift, the stair effect is gone - very nice. Looks sharp but also very natural.

Be interesting to see what kind of calibrated/uncalibrated lumens these new JVCs are outputting:thumbsup:

yes it will but to be honest Asif they`ve always been bright enough, only if used with a dark screen in a bright room have I ever thought they needed more and even then the new screen surface cured that tbh

from what I saw of the 2 pre/pro units on a white screen in a reflective room with lights out they looked superb ;)

I think it's dependant on what one is used to. But we are seeing more and more avf members with screens in excess of 2.5m wide so itd be wise to consider all the options. I only ask as there's been a few horror stories posted on avs..but I'm looking forward to what the findings are here on avf and the inevitable avf reviews!

I aren`t 100% what the screen was we viewed on but 2.5 mtrs doesn`t seem a million miles away, Phil was present as well as a bunch of other journalists and dealers as well and no-one as far as I know commented on anything to with lack of brightness at all

As always I`d never trust anyone else`s opinion, trust your eyes, its the only true way ;)

yanks, what do they know :oops: :D

There is varying reports - I've seen 1260 max lumens, plus 900 lumens calibrated......the specs say an increase of 100 lumens so calibrated if we get an extra 75 then that will be fine by me.

A member on avs will do a side by side of Jvc and Sony pretty soon and I am looking forward to that. Having seen the Sony myself, its awesome. I don't think the Jvc will compete on resolution no matter how good e shift 3 is but we'll wait and see. The dynamic iris on the Jvc will be interesting and if it works well, Jvc should be well in front of the Sony on contrast so when all added up, they will both have strong arguments in their favour.

There is varying reports - I've seen 1260 max lumens, plus 900 lumens calibrated......the specs say an increase of 100 lumens so calibrated if we get an extra 75 then that will be fine by me.

A member on avs will do a side by side of Jvc and Sony pretty soon and I am looking forward to that. Having seen the Sony myself, its awesome. I don't think the Jvc will compete on resolution no matter how good e shift 3 is but we'll wait and see. The dynamic iris on the Jvc will be interesting and if it works well, Jvc should be well in front of the Sony on contrast so when all added up, they will both have strong arguments in their favour.

It's horses for courses..I won't be replacing my VW1000ES anytime soon but I do have a soft spot for Jvcs as my first pj was the 750, so im interested in how they get on this year..infact I'm looking forward to when they offer their native 4k solution.

It's horses for courses..I won't be replacing my VW1000ES anytime soon but I do have a soft spot for Jvcs as my first pj was the 750, so im interested in how they get on this year..infact I'm looking forward to when they offer their native 4k solution.
Indeed, some say the VW1000ES is THE best home cinema projector at ANY price. Having seen vw500 and knowing that the VW1000 has better contrast and a sharper lens I can sort of imagine what that looks like!

The contrast of the Jvc's can be killer at times but I don't know if we'll ever see the best of both projectors morphed into one....that will be day that all the other manufacturers may just as well give up and go play golf or something :)

Tonight is a perfect night for sitting down with a couple of beers and racking up a few hours on your projector. Unfortunately I don't have one right now so I've been reading up on these new JVC's as I've not much else better to do to be honest!

This was posted on the german hifi forum by Ekki who is testing multiple X500's:

Testing is still to be completed but early indications look good. Posted over in hifi forum, translated by bing:

To the final report, it takes something that we want to check out more devices to obtain reliable data on the serial interface 100%. Today, we have measured 500 X all day. Some devices, but we are not still in the double-digit range, so that the series average values are still not final representative.

But I want to be not like: for the impatient among you here a small preview (measured values with almost ausgereiztem zoom):

-Brightness maximum: between 1200 and 1300 lumens, average 1240 lumen

-Calibrated brightness: between 940 and 1100 lumens, average 1050 lumen

-Eco mode: CA - 30%

-Contrast native / calibrated: between 26,000: 1 and 30,000: 1, average: 27,500: 1

-Dynamic contrast: factor 13, between 300,000: 1 and 400,000: 1

-Gamma: Perfect factory to 2.2 for all devices. At the detail you can file but with the controls.

-Auto-Iris: works not so bad at all, exact tests pending, however. The auto iris is in dark areas on the detail, here you must calibrate after. Should be but the hands of the brightness control: reduced at correct levels of HDMI already "+ 1" measuring contrast (per eye, but very difficult to detect).

-Color temperature: Ex works well, some devices can, but about the 7000K-Preset plus adjustments a little more light reserves out Tickle. The colour temperature drifts away in dark areas.

-Color space: from the factory only the "Custom1" setting fits well, as Oliver has been correctly identified. BUT: Not all X let 500 in green perfectly on the standard matched. Some have a strong yellow cast in green, can be also not completely resolved. Even if you use an extended color space as the calibration base. So is luck.

As far as the first findings.

Many greetings,
Ekki

Seems a nice improvement on brightness which is welcome - not knocking down doors or anything but welcome nonetheless. Dynamic contrast? WOW! Really looking forward to seeing this in action - I hope it lives up to expectation in real world viewing.

Well it seems any positives are starting to be swamped over at AVSforum by the fact HDMI handshake issues are rolling in like clockwork from new JVC owners: blank screens, magenta screens, freezing, losing sync, taking extra long to sync, you name it. There's clearly some bug somewhere in the new JVCs.

NOT looking good for the moment, from the perspective of someone watching these threads who is awaiting their new JVC. Others here may want to brace themselves for possible issues.

This better be something JVC can fix via firmware updates!

Well it seems any positives are starting to be swamped over at AVSforum by the fact HDMI handshake issues are rolling in like clockwork from new JVC owners: blank screens, magenta screens, freezing, losing sync, taking extra long to sync, you name it. There's clearly some bug somewhere in the new JVCs.

NOT looking good for the moment, from the perspective of someone watching these threads who is awaiting their new JVC. Others here may want to brace themselves for possible issues.

This better be something JVC can fix via firmware updates!
I've been reading that this morning - what a nightmare!
Hopefully its just a matter of disabling hdmi control like one guy has posted but if its not.... :(

Yeah,

And I'm starting to see hints from more objective testing (Zombie over at AVS) indicating the RS57/X700 may not be much of an advance over the RS55 at all. :( I'm worried I've spent a ton of money only for the pleasure of introducing HDMI handshake nightmares into my system and little else.

Yeah,

And I'm starting to see hints from more objective testing (Zombie over at AVS) indicating the RS57/X700 may not be much of an advance over the RS55 at all. :( I'm worried I've spent a ton of money only for the pleasure of introducing HDMI handshake nightmares into my system and little else.
Jvc have been alerted to the hdmi handshake issue. Zombie has none, Ekki had 6 x500s at the same time and had none but there are numerous people who have had loads of issues so we'll need to see how widespread it is. I can cope with handshake delays but handshake issues mid-movie I couldn't live with. That would drive me nuts.

In terms of improvements, I'm not expecting much difference from eshift but I'm really hoping the DI works well. A bit of extra brightness is always welcome too but if DI is unusable I'll be quite sad!

Well, Ekki says the DI works quite well and as you posted, he obtained amazing contrast ratios.

I am sure the x700 will be a stellar projector.

Well, Ekki says the DI works quite well and as you posted, he obtained amazing contrast ratios.

I am sure the x700 will be a stellar projector.
I hope so!

Allan - what about your x500....hows it looking? any handshake issues, eg, moving from 1080p60 to 1080p24 or from 1080p to 1080i sky tv or similar?

I'm sure GaryB is swamped now a days but if he's still by chance reading this or if someone has contact with him could you find out if he plans to provide us muggles with an updated IR code list this year (it was skipped last year), and more importantly could you let him know my testing his revealed a new bug in the PJREQ=>PJACK IP port open command? It is now wiping away the onscreen menu every time the command is resent (a few of us have converted to the iRule app using full TCP/IP control of the PJ and we used to be required to send the above PJREQ cmd every 4 seconds to keep the port open).

Any input/help would be most appreciated! :smashin:

(and to the comment above, me having the x700/RS57 for the past week… the PQ is indeed stellar no matter what that Zombie character says!.. I kid, I kid...) :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom