Votes: 122 74.4%
  • Leave with the WA without the backstop

Votes: 42 25.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The government's new Brexit plan looks perfectly designed to:

1. Be rejected by the EU because it threatens peace in Northern Ireland & the integrity of the Single Market. Therefore pushing us closer to no deal and giving Johnson an, "it was the EUs fault", excuse for any disruption.

2. Be boring, complicated, and at first glance, fairly reasonable, so as to appeal to ill-informed English voters which the Tories will be targetting at the next election.

A textbook example of putting party and personal ambition before country.

Irish news this morning ranges from diplomatic but clearly unwilling to accept the proposal by saying Boris's proposal is "a starting point for further negotiations", through to outright fury and condemnation and a belief that the proposal is meant to bait the British people into believing that he has tried to reach a compromise when the reality is that he has done nothing of the sort. The latter point does seem to have some merit when I read AVF this morning.

I'm not ill informed, and it looks reasonable and credible to me.

Also, how does it threaten the single market?

I think you are confused with the customs union and single market. Maybe it isn't just leavers who are ill informed.

They come from all over the world.

As you don't seem to believe that only 3% are checked, here is the source.

41.In addition to the customs paperwork checks, a small proportion of goods arriving from outside the EU are physically checked at the border. The Port of Felixstowe told us that “the number of physical examinations” only represented “3% of third-country import containers”.

So they are checked at the border. The government is seeking a deal that any checks will be done either where they are despatched from, where they are received or somewhere en route. Or in any case, not at the border This is viable, where a container coming from say China would not be.

I've in the past quoted that checks are intelligence led, and that would continue. (This isn't in that link though)

I recommend reading the link, it explains a lot about how customs currently work.
This is so funny: so what is the purpose of Brexit then? If not "securing our borders" ?
We want to control our borders they said, that's what we are voting for! Only to admit now that we are not doing any checks now and we won't be doing any going forward. It doesn't matter that they container is full of migrants, we won't check it anyway. =) #takingbackcontrol

Many of those shipments enter the EU long before they reach us and checks are done in many more places before they arrive and everything gets tracked in documents. That's why addition checks here are not needed. They hit the big EU ports first, after that they reach the UK: Maritime ports freight and passenger statistics - Statistics Explained

If you really pretend to understand how customs work, don't just rely on some article you found on google to prove your point, also use common sense.

Last edited:
Irish news this morning ranges from diplomatic but clearly unwilling to accept the proposal by saying Boris's proposal is "a starting point for further negotiations", through to outright fury and condemnation and a belief that the proposal is meant to bait the British people into believing that he has tried to reach a compromise when the reality is that he has done nothing of the sort. The latter point does seem to have some merit when I read AVF this morning.
I don't think the latter is fair at all.

It's a realistic and credible proposal. Doesn't mean it will be accepted, but it is a workable solution if the political will is there.

It's no more onerous than VAT compliance for cross border business. And will have a similar regime for checks and enforcement.

Do terrorists kick off when HMRC come to do a VAT inspection? Why will they if they come to audit for customs?

This is so funny: so what is the purpose of Brexit then? If not "securing our borders" ?
We want to control our borders they said, that's what we are voting for! Only to admit now that we are not doing any checks now and we won't be doing any going forward. It doesn't matter that they container is full of migrants, we won't check it anyway. =) #takingbackcontrol

Many of those shipments enter the EU long before they reach us and checks are done in many more places before they arrive and everything gets tracked in documents. That's why addition checks here are not needed.
Securing our borders was only ever about freedom of movement for people, and not goods.

It's very unusual for remainers to take this saying out of context and misrepresent it. So I'm sure you will appreciate me setting you straight on this.

I heard an interview with Naomi Long from the Northern Irish Alliance Party and MEP on the radio last night and she did an excellent political dissection of just how terrible the new plan is for both the ROI and NI. Also absolutely scathing of Johnson who she thinks has concocted this deal simply to get DUP support in government to show he's tried to get the deal while knowing it has zero chance of success.

Amazed at Boris' letter, it's obviously designed to make the EU reject it and force a no deal. The 'compromises' in their are ludicrous and no one will accept them.

I heard an interview with Naomi Long from the Northern Irish Alliance Party and MEP on the radio last night and she did an excellent political dissection of just how terrible the new plan is for both the ROI and NI. Also absolutely scathing of Johnson who she thinks has concocted this deal simply to get DUP support in government to show he's tried to get the deal while knowing it has zero chance of success.

All correct in my view, and absolutely laughable that anyone would think otherwise.

Let's highlight that's it a starting point for negotiations. A starting point on October 3rd.

Every normal person who can read between the lines has figured that one out. We all pointed it out that when the news broke without big editors publishing their analysis. I think the plan is clear.

Good news is however that EU seems to be playing ball, sending positive messages. Which could mean only two things: they just really had enough and want this done and dusted themselves, or they talked through some arrangements with the opposition and have the GE in sight.

Many of those shipments enter the EU long before they reach us and checks are done in many more places before they arrive and everything gets tracked in documents. That's why addition checks here are not needed. They hit the big EU ports first, after that they reach the UK: Maritime ports freight and passenger statistics - Statistics Explained

If you really pretend to understand how customs work, don't just rely on some article you found on google to prove your point, also use common sense.

Absolute crap.

Taking back control was about FOM not goods.

Containers ship from around the world in to the EU then forwarded on to the UK and not first checked in the EU. I can track a container shipped in to Rotterdam then in to the UK which has the same seal on when the containrer was closed.

As for migrants, very very few come in hidden in containers most try and get in on tautliners in EU ports or when parked up within the EU.

Once again you're talking out your backside.

Her comments:

Alliance Party leader and MEP Naomi Long has said she is profoundly concerned by the new proposals on Brexit and thinks they are "designed to move further towards a no-deal."

Speaking on the same programme, she said she believes that it is "Boris Johnson's objective" to get a no-deal Brexit and "have someone else to blame for the consequences of that."

She said the British prime minister should be held to account for what he is doing.

"The reality is the substance of this is not workable, it is profoundly flawed at almost every conceivable level and completely disregards advice he received from Northern Ireland businesses and crucially from the majority of Northern Ireland politicians."

Ms Long said while there should be discussion, it has to be a discussion on the workability of these proposals.

She said it has gone from no new border to two new borders, "one in the Irish sea and one in some unknown place."

She said she thinks it has been clearly stated that a border would put a huge administrative burden on businesses but also means businesses are left to decide the terms of not just the membership of the single market but of the single energy market".

"Given that the Assembly hasn't sat in three years, and hasn't been able to get its act together to deal with the regular run-of-the-mill politics, how on earth could you hand a veto in that assembly to the DUP over these arrangments so they could choose to block us going forward in the single energy market and effectively opt to switch off the lights.

"This is a crazy kind of situation", she said

Source is bottom of this article: McEntee 'confident' a Brexit deal can be done

Securing our borders was only ever about freedom of movement for people, and not goods.

It's very unusual for remainers to take this saying out of context and misrepresent it. So I'm sure you will appreciate me setting you straight on this.
You can put people in a container ! come on, are you that naive? the two are massively interlinked.
Giving up now, you do not get the irony of what you are saying as a brexiteer and swallow every little manipulation. Clearly everybody else can read between the lines of this deal, you don't.

Her comments:

Source is bottom of this article: McEntee 'confident' a Brexit deal can be done

She also said the NI Assembly was simply too immature an institution to deal with a matter of this magnitude implicating as it does, impacts to International treaty laws and the Good Friday Agreement.

Also commented that the deal could face legal challenges as a threat to the good Friday Agreement.

No surprise that remainers don’t like the deal. How about no deal then? Any better for you? 😎

You can put people in a container ! come on, are you that naive? the two are massively interlinked.
Giving up now, you do not get the irony of what you are saying as a brexiteer and swallow every little manipulation. Clearly everybody else can read between the lines of this deal, you don't.

More crap, I've emptied and watched tens of thousands of containers getting devanned and have never once found a migrant.

More crap, I've emptied and watched tens of thousands of containers getting devanned and have never once found a migrant.

And I've watched thousands of planes taking off and landing and never once seen one crash. Doesn't mean they don't.

Sadly planes do crash. Do you need a link?

Sadly remainers will son be upset when we leave.

Who was on about planes? Not me. Care to provide links or even links showing migrants coming in to the UK in containers. He has no idea what he's talking about. Like I've already posted taking back control was about FOM not goods.

Sadly remainers will son be upset when we leave.
Disappointed would be a better word.

Disappointed that our individual rights to travel and work across the EU are undermined.

Disappointed we no longer wish to be part of shaping the world's largest trading bloc.

Disappointed that, once again, we think we can just step aside from European politics and think everything will be fine.

Disappointed that exit will cause such huge strains on our family of nations that it may result in the breakup of the UK.

Disappointed that, for the next 20 years, the legislature will spend an inordinate amount of time trying to unravel 40 years of integration.

Disappointed that peace and security in Northern Ireland is disregarded for ideological nonsense.

etc etc

Disappointed would be a better word.

Disappointed that our individual rights to travel and work across the EU are undermined.

Disappointed we no longer wish to be part of shaping the world's largest trading bloc.

Disappointed that, once again, we think we can just step aside from European politics and think everything will be fine.

Disappointed that exit will cause such huge strains on our family of nations that it may result in the breakup of the UK.

Disappointed that, for the next 20 years, the legislature will spend an inordinate amount of time trying to unravel 40 years of integration.

Disappointed that peace and security in Northern Ireland is disregarded for ideological nonsense.

etc etc

Nope upset, remainers on here like to go on about salty tears, it those that have had salty tears for the past 3 and a bit years

If you have the required skills working and living within the EU will still be possible. Why should you or anyone else have the right to move to another country and work just because of where you born? I worked and lived around the world and have had to prove I was needed.

In the future the EU will not be the largest trading block.

Of course we can just step aside, the EU was formed without us and they can continue to do so.

There is no reason for the UK to break up, if other countries wish to leave the UK thats their right as is ours to leave the EU.

A small price to pay.

Its only nonsense to remainers.

Etc etc.

Nope upset, remainers on here like to go on about salty tears, it those that have had salty tears for the past 3 and a bit years

If you have the required skills working and living within the EU will still be possible. Why should you or anyone else have the right to move to another country and work just because of where you born? I worked and lived around the world and have had to prove I was needed.

In the future the EU will not be the largest trading block.

Of course we can just step aside, the EU was formed without us and they can continue to do so.

There is no reason for the UK to break up, if other countries wish to leave the UK thats their right as is ours to leave the EU.

A small price to pay.

Its only nonsense to remainers.

Etc etc.
Remainers want to remain, presumably, and for the last 3 and a half years we've remained. And you think that's made them cry. Interesting logic you're employing there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom