• Leave with the WA without the backstop

Votes: 42 25.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a little bit of news:

Blue passport to return after Brexit

Back to the blue British passports after Brexit.

A passport serves a function, they could be pink for all I care.
Ed Miliband on Twitter

We've also seen the brexit impact reports sector analyses published. Finally got around to writing something.

Brexit sectoral analyses published by Committee - News from Parliament

Some of it reads like GCSE Geography etc coursework.

Ah, that's who Davis outsourced it to.

Fact 1) Blue passports were only brought in the UK around 1921.
Fact 2) The EU doesn't stop us from having blue passports. Croatia has them still.
Fact 3) The shape of the passport was altered to make them machine-readable. This was "forced upon" us by the Civil Aviation Organisation, not the EU.

So much for a Brexit win against the shackles of the EU.

Yawn...
Seriously though. Can we try and keep the party political bickering out of this thread?

That's just a sample of the reaction (Ed M is quite tame compared to others) and I'm sure most people will understand that changing the passports to blue won't cost £500 million. That's just the normal cost of updating the security measures used to prevent fraudulent passports.

And even more seriously, didn't passports used to be black? :confused:

Passports serve a precise function, the colour is immaterial to that function. Hence why I couldn't care less if they were pink or orange.

Interesting court case coming up Legal action to see whether UK could unilaterally stop Brexit gets go-

Passports serve a precise function, the colour is immaterial to that function.
Colour is immaterial, but I asked a genuine question :(

Fact 1) Blue passports were only brought in the UK around 1921.
Fact 2) The EU doesn't stop us from having blue passports. Croatia has them still.
Fact 3) The shape of the passport was altered to make them machine-readable. This was "forced upon" us by the Civil Aviation Organisation, not the EU.

So much for a Brexit win against the shackles of the EU.

Not sure why you are repeating points made in the referenced article (apart from point 3 which no-one has suggested was down to the EU either)...

There are only four colours used in passport covers worldwide: black, blue, red or green

The British passport introduced in 1920 was dark blue.

Thanks Alan. My oldest one must have been a dark blue that I have remembered as black. :thumbsup:

I see that Scotland is preparing a legal case stating that Article 50 can be reversed without the need for agreement from the other 27 EU members.

I see that some Scottish MPs, from a variety of different political parties, are preparing a legal case to determine whether Article 50 can be reversed without the need for agreement from the other 27 EU members.
Fixed that for you.

And even more seriously, didn't passports used to be black? :confused:
From high quality scans of my old passports, required by my employer's travel dept ...

my 78-88 passport:

20171222_230056.jpg

my 88-98 passport:

20171222_230415.jpg

- they both look black to me :)

Last edited:
It seems the remainers are having a fit over this. I was listening to James O'Brien this morning and he was really into meltdown. Most Brexit supporters see the removal of the EU wording as accurate, and a change of colour something to differentiate from an EU passport (except Croatia ). Maybe we will have a separate UK line for immigration when we come into Heathrow which will be faster. Nothing much else. No free entry to lounges!
Why the fuss by remainers ?

Since when did Remainers need much of an excuse to make a fuss?

Didn't take long for the thread to descend into remainers this, remainers that.

In the interests of balance, I listened to the same show. There were angry brexiteers hanging up on him or telling him that it was all about pride, getting our blue passports back, just like Christmas trees apparently. I don't think they were representative of most brexiteers though, just makes good radio.

A Brexiteer Hangs Up On James O'Brien And His Reaction Is Hilarious - LBC

See his meltdown, proper rage on him there :laugh:

From high quality scans of my old passports, required by my employer's travel dept ...

my 78-88 passport:

View attachment 955997

my 88-98 passport:

View attachment 955998

- they both look black to me :)

They are dark blue krish, I can see a very slight blue tinge in your 1988-1998 passport along the left hand crease. Have a suspicion the older the passports the darker they become.

We took on the EU standard format passports in 1988, how come you were issued with a blue British passport and not a red one?

Edit: just checked - the EU burgundy passports were issued in the UK in September 1988.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems the remainers are having a fit over this. I was listening to James O'Brien this morning and he was really into meltdown. Most Brexit supporters see the removal of the EU wording as accurate, and a change of colour something to differentiate from an EU passport (except Croatia ). Maybe we will have a separate UK line for immigration when we come into Heathrow which will be faster. Nothing much else. No free entry to lounges!
Why the fuss by remainers ?

I think they are angry because the writing is on the wall. The re-introduction of blue UK passports is a trigger.

We might (hopefully) be exiting the bureaucratic organisation, and as we creep closer (will we ever get there?) to Brexit the more frustrated the remainers become?

This Blue one they are reintroducing looks like something an independent Scotland would choose, where is the St George red?

I remember having a Beige British Visitor's Passport the first time I went to Europe in the 60's, it was a 3 sided card.

We took on the EU standard format passports in 1988, how come you were issued with a blue British passport and not a red one?

Edit: just checked - the EU burgundy passports were issued in the UK in September 1988.
Yeah that was issued 6 months earlier in March .... now about to renew for 2018-28, so it will still be burgundy

I think they are angry because the writing is on the wall. The re-introduction of blue UK passports is a trigger.

I've not seen anyone angry over it though. Most remainers are completely apathetic about the whole thing. Or taking the mick that this is being hailed as a victory.

It's not about the colour. It's that the EU got its name on a UK document. It was the first indication of the loss of sovereignty.

The blue passport is taking back control? No, it was first imposed on us from abroad | James E Baldwin

The Guardian article is petulant in tone and the facts have been tailored to meet the anti-Brexit agenda.

The 1920 blue British passport came out of an international agreement on a standard format for passports worldwide. The personal details were written by hand into the proforma passport, the same as in all the passports for other countries who signed the agreement, including the UK - it was an agreed format and not imposed on us as the Guardian article states.

Following the agreement a new government department was formed in 1920 to handle the issue of blue British passports.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom