• Leave with no deal

Votes: 122 74.4%
  • Leave with the WA without the backstop

Votes: 42 25.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The next GE is going to be fun. This deal in no way does away with the TBP. I hope TBP stand and they will be getting my vote.

Apart from jiggling the backstop, what is different from May's deal? I cannot see anything of note?
Well you and all the other MPs have indeed had nearly 12 months to raise those points that you are now not happy with 😬

We’ve repeated already highlighted what is different ;)

The next GE is going to be fun. This deal in no way does away with the TBP. I hope TBP stand and they will be getting my vote.
Why doesn’t it? What is the problem with the deal once we are out of the transition period?

Well you and all the other MPs have indeed had nearly 12 months to raise those points that you are now not happy with 😬

We’ve repeated already highlighted what is different ;)

I wasn't ever happy with May's deal, I understand why your happy, and we do agree on a good many things, sadly this isn't one of them :)

Apart from jiggling the backstop, what is different from May's deal? I cannot see anything of note?

Ah fudge it , I'd much rather stay in than this british Bulldog no compromise approach.

Ever closer to lib Dem apptoach with this utter crap . This throw dummies out the pram approach to Brexit is now emmbarrising, even to a leaver .

Ok These primarily are the issues of my concern, please feel free to address any or all, to put my mind at rest:

View attachment 1208771
Those are not your concerns, really. Are they? They are some stuff you googled and now presenting as your concerns. Or you forgot that the deal was ok just one page ago but now it's not?
If someone else come up with another analysis and they say that the deal looks good would you believe them ?

I wasn't ever happy with May's deal, I understand why your happy, and we do agree on a good many things, sadly this isn't one of them :)

So why were you happy with BJ's deal then? I am confused.

stay your soy filled posts

I dont care boris will tear it up in a year or two if it suits him, you are very short sighted, michael collins got ireland a deal that gave ireland dominion status, over the next generation the irish unravelled their links to britain and their wasnt much the 2nd power fullest nation in the world at the time could do, or even wanted to do as the political landscape had changed.

Drink a tad more of that Kool Aid mate as that touch paper is always lit on thar firecracker Jim .

Those are not your concerns, really. Are they? They are some stuff you googled and now presenting as your concerns. Or you forgot that the deal was ok just one page ago but now it's not?
If someone else come up with another analysis and they say that the deal looks good would you believe them ?

Why don’t you stop trolling. He has already explained that.

Something I have suspected after Boris got pats on the back for reheating May's deal... that we might just crash out next December after the transition period is over if trade talks fail to deliver.

Something I have suspected after Boris got pats on the back for reheating May's deal... that we might just crash out next December after the transition period is over if trade talks fail to deliver.

Main news outlets I suspect would be all over it , being so huge and such , yet I can not find any . Why is that ? Hmm why is that ? Ah I see , the people's Vote . Got any receipts for this tweet ?

I think my enthusiasm for this deal over the course of today has dropped by 20-30%.

although I have to keep reminding myself that the extreme ends of the argument are now campaigning for their own points of view. As such, nothing but their view is good enough.

given a choice, no deal would be my choice. But I think I am content with what we have assuming we go full bore into the next phase with this cabinet and PM!

EDIT: far better than May’s deal! Even Farage said that on his radio show tonight.

Ah fudge it , I'd much rather stay in than this british Bulldog no compromise approach.

Ever closer to lib Dem apptoach with this utter crap . This throw dummies out the pram approach to Brexit is now emmbarrising, even to a leaver .

Who's thrown any dummies out? Sounds like it's you? :rolleyes:

You didn't have to search what the new rehashed deal was?

You knew without searching the details?

Everything you have an opinion on comes straight out of your head without looking at any information?

I thought not :rolleyes:

If you bother to read what I wrote, you would see why I changed my mind. And I am glad that I still have the ability to change my mind, unlike some.

Why dont you go and get me some information from the Guardian :facepalm:

Why doesn’t it? What is the problem with the deal once we are out of the transition period?

One question I can not find a definitive answer to, is how long can this transition period be up to? Can it be indefinitely?
IE the UK gives in to the EU when it cant negotiate a beneficial agreement? For example trade, movement, fishing etc.

I think my enthusiasm for this deal over the course of today has dropped by 20-30%.

although I have to keep reminding myself that the extreme ends of the argument are now campaigning for their own points of view. As such, nothing but their view is good enough.

given a choice, no deal would be my choice. But I think I am content with what we have assuming we go full bore into the next phase with this cabinet and PM!

EDIT: far better than May’s deal! Even Farage said that on his radio show tonight.

He said something different earlier.
He was totally against it, so why has he changed his mind?

Perhaps he has discovered that Boris can crash us out with a majority government next December...? :D

EDIT:

You can watch Farage on LBC here:

He is correct that the WA is bound by international law, so we can't scrap it.
He is correct about the EU commandment on regularity alignment, but we would probably have to align with them or the U.S. since their markets are bigger than ours. There is less regulation with the U.S. The EU alignment is based on preventive principles, so much more stringent.

Last edited:
Who's thrown any dummies out? Sounds like it's you? :rolleyes:

Great come back , and as expected TBH . The whole problem with Brexit from leaver and remainer alike plus all inbetween is the unwillingness for any compromise .

Then when we have a shaft of light to an end it is not good enough for some leavers and remainers .

And we go round again in never ending cycle of this very thread as a prime example of picking a side and not listening to any other .

I spat my dummie out a while ago mate as I do not want to make a stand or stance on other people's wet dreams on what they regard their own personal Brexit , remain or whatever .

Carry on Brexit in true carry on fashion . I don't give a fudge .

LOL - the pro brexit enthusiasts have been advocating a simple Free Trade Deal from the start, which is now written into the political declaration.

More nonsense from the bad losers.. :D

Great come back , and as expected TBH . The whole problem with Brexit from leaver and remainer alike plus all inbetween is the unwillingness for any compromise .

Then when we have a shaft of light to an end it is not good enough for some leavers and remainers .

And we go round again in never ending cycle of this very thread as a prime example of picking a side and not listening to any other .

I spat my dummie out a while ago mate as I do not want to make a stand or stance on other people's wet dreams on what they regard their own personal Brexit , remain or whatever .

Carry on Brexit in true carry on fashion . I don't give a fudge .

I have a different view to you. So what? What's the problem? Shall we all follow like sheep because somebody said it was a good deal?

Your sick and tired of it, I get that. Don't take it out on me. o_O

It removes the backstop, puts NI in the UK customs area, allows the people of NI a say, removes the requirement for regulatory alignment and makes the political declaration clear that a simple free trade agreement is the ultimate goal.

What is not to like?

It removes the backstop, puts NI in the UK customs area, allows the people of NI a say, removes the requirement for regulatory alignment and makes the political declaration clear that a simple free trade agreement is the ultimate goal.

What is not to like?

Regulatory alignment? We must align apparently. Simple free trade agreement goal? Hmm, Can't see how that is ever going to happen realistically?

Not trying to be negative, just realistic. And if that is the sum total forgive me for being underwhelmed.

LOL - the pro brexit enthusiasts have been advocating a simple Free Trade Deal from the start, which is now written into the political declaration.

More nonsense from the bad losers.. :D

We may never get to act the political declaration with all the wrangling going on. :D

I have a different view to you. So what? What's the problem? Shall we all follow like sheep because somebody said it was a good deal?

Your sick and tired of it, I get that. Don't take it out on me. o_O

I'm sick and tired of all unwilling to reach any compromise to get a WA . I fully believe it would be a stupid approach to leave without a deal . EU will still be our largest trading block when we , if we leave .

I have seen many posts on here that treat the EU as our enemy and it astounds me and I find it very emmbarrising as someone who voted to leave .

But considering our own goverment and Parliment in the last three years we need a villain to get at and EU is an easy target, right ?

I mean the EU is whole lot worse than getting back parliamentary Soverenty , right ? Got to be right, no good EU ? Last three years goverment and Parliment has done a bang up job in negotiation and leaving the poxy EU , right ?
They have our trust , right ? I mean twas a our reason for leaving and that parliamentary Soverenty in our hands , Right ?

Now that's a real dummie being spat out.right there ...

Last edited:
Regulatory alignment? We must align apparently. Simple free trade agreement goal? Hmm, Can't see how that is ever going to happen realistically?

Not trying to be negative, just realistic. And if that is the sum total forgive me for being underwhelmed.

Regulatory alignment is one of the key improvements over May's deal. The level playing field obligations have been totally removed from the Withdrawal Arrangement and are now simply an item in the Political Declaration for future consideration.

If you are underwhelmed what sort of WA were you looking for?

Apologies for the length of this, but it's a good summary of the NI situation. Which seems to be the trickiest part to navigate. Highlighted the key bits. Personally I don't think many people I've seen talking about NI understand what's happening. Not even some of the MP's!

Also I don't think the situation regarding the hard border and the GFA is acceptable. It's just kicking the problem we have now down the road so no-one has to muddy their hands with it.

CUSTOMS

Northern Ireland is legally in the UK’s customs territory, but would it would apply the EU’s rules and procedures on tariffs.

Northern Ireland would also be aligned with the rules of the single market for industrial goods and agri-food products, meaning both regulatory and customs checks and controls on the Irish Sea for goods going from Great Britain to Northern Ireland.

However, the extent of the controls would be reduced thanks to a series of tariff exemptions.

There would be an automatic exemption for personal goods and possessions carried by those travelling back and forth between Northern Ireland and Great Britain, or, for example, if an individual was moving house.

However, there would potentially be a broader category of goods and tradable products that could be exempt from tariffs and controls if there was no risk whatsoever of such goods entering EU’s single market across the land border.

These categories of goods would be decided on in the future by the Joint Committee of EU and UK officials by consensus. The Joint Committee was established in the original Withdrawal Agreement as a way for both sides to manage the new arrangements.

The intensity and scope of Irish Sea checks would be limited by a risk-analysis. However, the EU would, through the Joint Committee, have a veto over which kinds of goods would enjoy an exemption from tariffs and controls.

There would also be a system of rebates for goods shipped from Great Britain to Northern Ireland if those goods attracted an EU tariff that was higher than the UK tariff.

CONSENT

The mechanism essentially provides a qualified opt-out of the revised backstop arrangements via the NI Assembly

Northern Ireland would take on the new customs and regulatory regime for four years after the end of the transition period, which is due to conclude at the end of 2020.

At that point Stormont would have to take a view as to whether or not to opt out of the new arrangements

If Stormont voted to opt out, then there would be a two year cooling off period, during which all sides would have to find an alternative way of complying with the Good Friday Agreement and avoiding a hard border.

If at the end of the two years no alternative was found, then the Protocol would lapse, meaning Ireland would be back to a hard border scenario.

However, if the Stormont Assembly were to collapse during that period, then the default would be that the Protocol arrangements would continue to apply (ie, the revised backstop).

But there will be also be important variations on how Stormont votes for a potential exit.

If Stormont decides to use a simple majority vote, which is seen as less favourable to the DUP, then if that vote to opt out does not succeed, then Stormont would vote again four years on an opt out.

However, if Stormont decided to go for a cross-community majority vote, which is seen as more favourable to the DUP, and the vote did not pass, then
Stormont would have to wait another eight years before having another opt-out vote.

Complex, convoluted, politically fraught, but does it square the circle? It’s a weighted approach that gives the DUP cover but the
opt out might never take effect because if a hard border looms SInn Féin could just collapse the assembly and the default is the revised backstop

Alignment is to be expected with a trade deal. No different than any ordinary deal. Even on a micro scale that happens when you want to sell something. I spend tonight on a conference call between Singapore and the US to sell some software. The business users want it, but the commercial team stipulates a number of compliance measures that we need to adhere to. A number I already met, some require some work. Pretty standard stuff in my opinion. It’s worth it when the deal is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom