KEF LS50 dented cone; repair attempt?

BangkokBob669

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I put a dent in my LS50 - a significant dent that causes a bit of fuzz - see picture P3060191.JPG . Since it's a uni-driver - seems that the midrange is now touching the tweeter. (while this design supposedly sounds better - sure puts 'all your eggs in one basket') Don't want to spend $400 just replacing the cone and I'm sure you can not re-cone them like in olden days. So there is nothing to lose in trying to fix: hair dryer to heat metal, push in from back, or is there a way to re-cone aluminum. Thanks for your advice and I'll let you know how it goes on the forum.

The drive unit has taken quite a hit so there may be more damage behind the front face of the cone (such as suspension damage causing the voice coil to shift out of alignment). I'm not familiar with the construction of these KEF uni-drivers but I wouldn't imagine a DIY re-cone is possible whilst retaining the quality audio that this speaker is known for.

As for reshaping the dented alloy - could possibly work if there's no damage behind. IMO, your only chance of success would be to gain access to the rear of the driver (as you have said) but I don't see any way in, so access may involve ripping the cabinet apart. Also, I doubt that heat from a hairdryer would give much benefit when bending aluminium so might as well do it cold (even it you heated the cone, it would cool almost instantly). Hot or cold, aluminium certainly will weaken with repeated bending so get it right first time.

Good luck with whatever course of action you choose but my gut feeling tells me that you'll need to purchase a replacement drive unit.

Forget to ask: Have you got accidental damage cover on your home insurance?

No, I don't have any home insurance; I actually live in a hotel in Bangkok. Now the issue seem to be finding a replacement driver - seems KEF is keeping a tight hold on these. Going price in Australia is 570 AUD; that is almost 40% of the new cost. So if anyone know of a cheap source; it would be appreciated. By the way - the driver comes out through the front; rather easily.

I am in the UK and replaced the mibass driver at Kef for £145 approx. They done it there and then so cannot help with fitting but I cannot see there being an issue in sourcing one. have you contacted them direct?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom