Kef LS50 pairing

Stag27

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a pair of LS50s and hoping some of you have similar setups.

Currently running an AVR450 + Hugo 2 + Mission 753 freedom.

My questions are - has anyone paired the LS50 with either a 450/hugo 2 or both? Have you found it too bright?

Thanks

ok.. the arcam is a lovely AV amp however against competitors it can be lighter in the bass. The biggest issue here is that it is pretty much an 8ohm specced amp at 125w/c in stereo mode. This is by no means ideal with that LS50 where the resistance drops to 3.2ohms or so... I don't think the arcam has the reserves to run it properly to begin with..

2ndly... running an AV in stereo is never an ideal combination simply because of how the av amps are made.. they can be easily outclassed by a dedicated stereo amp. The arcam is one of the better AV amps off the boot though so you do have a good foundation. I think you may have to look a bit closer at options if you want to go down the LS50 route..

That's my initial thoughts

ok.. the arcam is a lovely AV amp however against competitors it can be lighter in the bass. The biggest issue here is that it is pretty much an 8ohm specced amp at 125w/c in stereo mode. This is by no means ideal with that LS50 where the resistance drops to 3.2ohms or so... I don't think the arcam has the reserves to run it properly to begin with..

2ndly... running an AV in stereo is never an ideal combination simply because of how the av amps are made.. they can be easily outclassed by a dedicated stereo amp. The arcam is one of the better AV amps off the boot though so you do have a good foundation. I think you may have to look a bit closer at options if you want to go down the LS50 route..

That's my initial thoughts
Thank you! A stereo amp isnt really an option for me unfortunately as i have a 5.1 set up for movies.

Would be be anyway to add extra juice to the 450? Im not fully savy with power requirements.

Plenty of options here

You do have a pre-amp out on the fronts .. you could add a crown / beringher poweramp to it and do it that way using the arcam as a preamp for the fronts...

If you are not set on those LS50's .. there are other easier to drive alternatives

I agree add a power amp, and you should be ready to go.

Though specs don’t tell the whole story. As for KF LS50 I do agree “they” can be difficult to drive with certain amps, but I still don’t see the point of KEF releasing such popular speakers, if you need a Hegel H190 to drive them properly! Yes, the specs are on the low side, but any decent amp that knows what they are doing we’ll drive those speakers great. In the price class such as Rega Brio R. It depends on how much headroom you want. So don’t always look at the specs both for amps, speakers. At times it’s very important! But not always important. It depends on your room, personal taste, how loud you play. But the KEF LS50 we’ll sing with amps like Rega, Arcam in the price class I said. But you can always add a power amp to your pre outs on your Arcam AVR 450. That probably we’ll be the easiest if you wish to keep the Arcam. I do agree though that a normal stereo amplifier we’ll always sound better then a surround receiver. But Arcam makes great stuff! And many of their surround receivers sounds very good vs other receivers. But as always an amplifier which is made for hifi well always sound better. Because it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles like a receiver has. It’s made for stereo. Though now you do have good AV stereo receivers, or AV stereo amplifier. I’m not entirely sure what they are called😉. But I believe AV stereo amplifier is the right word. Some models have HDIM so you get both sound and picture, by using the HDIM connection on your tv. And then there are amplifiers with build in dac, streaming. So many options. Please update us on what amps you ended up with😀. Again, good luck. Ps, it’s not my intention to make you more confused.😞.

If you like the Arcam sound then you could grab an A32 or A38 as they both have HT bypass. Both around the 550 mark at the minute.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom