Question Kef LS50 passive.

Jason72

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a pair of Kef LS50's that I currently have stored away. The only available amp I have to use with them is a Cambridge Audio CXA-60. This would work with them, but I think is a little underpowered to get the best from them.
An alternative would be to place them in my home theatre setup as front L & R speakers. The amp I have is a Yamaha RX-A3070. Would the Yamaha be a) suitably powerful enough to get the best from the LS50's and b) Is the Yamaha amp refined enough in a stereo setup.
My current Theatre setup consists of a 5.1 format made up of an SVS PB2000 subwoofer (with an antimode 8033), KEF KHT6000 speakers (the centre speaker has been replaced with a Dynaudio Excite X22) and the front L&R 6000's would be replaced with the LS50's (unforrtunately they would not be on stands). Would this work ?
Gregory

The Yamaha would have enough to power the LS50s as it does have a very good power supply, as do all Yamahas in fairness. Don't know quite how well the timbre would hold up on the front soundstage with the Dynaudio acting as the centre. I have KEF R300s on a cabinet with good isolation underneath them and they sound very good. Would the 3070 be refined enough, I'm not sure, I'm not a fan of receivers in the stereo music role. Saying that the Yamaha is more than likely better then my Denon X6500 in that respect.

In a surround sound setting I don't think you'll have a problem with the Yamaha and the LS50s.

Hi,
thanks Gibbsy, I'll give it a try tomorrow. I do have a chord 2qute dac I can add to the mix but I'm not sure if it's possible to use with an A.V.amp. Should be interesting as a mix and match although the intention is to eventually use it with my Dynaudio 40's when that get's set up.
Gregory

chord 2qute dac
Connect to the receiver with analogue, that will ensure you are using the Chord for music. Then use the Yamaha in a direct mode, I think it's called 'Straight'.

Hi,
So far @gibbsy, I have just used the RX-A3070 with the LS50's alongside the dynaudio centre, KHT6000 rears and the SVS PB2000. I watched a movie (and played some C.D.'s through an old bluray player also) and the general sound is quite impressive.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom